How often do you guy's grease all your bearings?

14 replies to this topic
  • Matty05

Posted December 27, 2005 - 03:32 AM

I had a problem with the bottom headstem bearing on the WR250, it was full of mud and dirt. The race looks good and so do the bearings, I think I am lucky that I check them about every second oil change, so every 1000kms. The bearing seal looks fine, but this was obviously the problem.

I have a sneaky suspicion that it happened about two rides ago as the rain has started to come, and the puddles have to be ridden through. :applause:

I really noticed the problem when I put the new suspension on, it didn't want to turn at all when riding. I first thought it was just the new suspension just bedding in, but when I put the bike on the stand, turning the bars took some effort.

I also suggest you check your bearing right away if you have a new bike and haven't greased them yet, Yamaha doesn't like grease for some reason.

• Indy_WR450

Posted December 27, 2005 - 05:17 AM

Bearings are cheap. I just replace them all once a year. Grease and clean them only between mud rides. :applause:

• xr_man

Posted December 27, 2005 - 06:09 AM

Why keep stripping them ????

For a few cents you can fit a grease nipple into the head stock and grease them after EVERY ride like I do :applause:

• ARin

Posted December 27, 2005 - 07:03 AM

For a few cents you can fit a grease nipple into the head stock and grease them after EVERY ride like I do :applause:

pictures? :bonk:

• Matty05

Posted December 27, 2005 - 04:38 PM

It wont help if mud gets in! Just one grain of dirt can destroy your bearing or race. Great idea though! Too much grease can be bad too!

• troys450

Posted December 28, 2005 - 11:48 PM

hehe,havent lubed any of mine yet

• tmckeown

Posted December 28, 2005 - 11:52 PM

Hi,

Twice a year, beginning of summer season and beinning of winter season

Timo Mc

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bluethundaaaa

Posted December 29, 2005 - 10:56 AM

once a year during my winter tear down. :applause:

• alfie

Posted December 29, 2005 - 12:09 PM

Ill do mine about four times a year, but i have just started to look at having grease nipples fitted into the links.

• xr_man

Posted December 29, 2005 - 12:54 PM

It wont help if mud gets in! Just one grain of dirt can destroy your bearing or race. Great idea though! Too much grease can be bad too!

There is NO way mud will get in if you keep them pumped full ....both this 426 and my last 426 had this mod (which took a few minutes to do) and that covers 5 years of ownership with no problems ....as the oil in frame warms up , it melts the grease and keeps the bearings nice and lubed ...grease slowly comes out (so NO mud gets in !!)
Shorely I dont need to post a picture of a grease nipple in a head stock ??? you get the idea !! I use a "cranked" nipple and put it on the right side of the frame where it can easily be got to with the forks turned left .......so ...drill 6mm hole....tap thread ....screw in nipple ..... pump full of grease....job , jobbied !!

• 00YZ426FMRCD

Posted December 29, 2005 - 01:00 PM

I also suggest you check your bearing right away if you have a new bike and haven't greased them yet, Yamaha doesn't like grease for some reason.

A good idea on any Manufacturer newly purchased bike. Dirt or Street.

• yeldaw1

Posted December 29, 2005 - 09:20 PM

There is NO way mud will get in if you keep them pumped full ....both this 426 and my last 426 had this mod (which took a few minutes to do) and that covers 5 years of ownership with no problems ....as the oil in frame warms up , it melts the grease and keeps the bearings nice and lubed ...grease slowly comes out (so NO mud gets in !!)
Shorely I dont need to post a picture of a grease nipple in a head stock ??? you get the idea !! I use a "cranked" nipple and put it on the right side of the frame where it can easily be got to with the forks turned left .......so ...drill 6mm hole....tap thread ....screw in nipple ..... pump full of grease....job , jobbied !!

But look at all that weight you added> :applause:

• David37

Posted December 29, 2005 - 09:46 PM

I disassemble and lube all my bearings and suspension linkages a minimum of once a year.

• Whoya

Posted December 31, 2005 - 09:28 PM

The way I see it, you drill the hole through the race and install the nipple right at the bearing? One for the top bearing and one for the bottom bearing?
If you put one nipple in the center of the steering neck you will just pump the cavity full of grease and the bearings would never see any of the grease.
There was some talk of this a few years ago, one guy did his swingarm and shock linkage too!

• Drunken Monkey

Posted January 01, 2006 - 02:32 AM

The way I see it, you drill the hole through the race and install the nipple right at the bearing? One for the top bearing and one for the bottom bearing?
If you put one nipple in the center of the steering neck you will just pump the cavity full of grease and the bearings would never see any of the grease.
There was some talk of this a few years ago, one guy did his swingarm and shock linkage too!

I wouldn't go drilling through bearing races. Bearing inspection is much more important than just greasing them.

It is not hard to remove headstem and grease them properly. Do this every 6 months or so, the grease lasts a long time.

I just remove front wheel, remove headlight (just 3 bolts and disconnect!), remove forks, remove bars, remove top triple clamp, get a screwdriver and tap nut to undo stem and bottom clamp. The top bearing comes straight out, the bottom bearing stays on the stem. The races stay in the frame. Clean all grease residue off bearings and frame then dry. Inspect them for smoothness / pitting / obvious damage. Pack the buggers real well with your favorite waterproof grease and then put everything back together. All up, 1/2 an hour to an hour job. :applause:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.