05 and newer wr450 stator mod?(electrex)

1 reply to this topic
  • defleshed

Posted December 26, 2005 - 09:53 PM

i installed an electrex kit on my bike this summer, and i know there used to be a stator mod that had to be done to the wr's, i did a search but the bikes were all 04 and older, there was no notes with my kit, the only reason i ask is that i was riding the other day and the bike would barely run, i limped it home, it was only charging at 9 volts, then i charged the battery until it was 12.3 it think, started the bike and it charged at about 14 volts. maybe my battery was drained some other way before i left, but maybe the stator won't keep up with the headlight/tailight etc? just wondering if this is an issue with the 05 and up electric start models

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed

Posted December 27, 2005 - 06:49 AM

The stock DC charging circuit will not support lighting. It is designed to provide enough current to charge the battery and that is all. I think most of the DS kits now out either keep the lights on the AC output or convert the stator/regulator to run DC only. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think there is anything different electrically on the '05 vs the 03/04 models.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.