Not enough lube on front steering bearings

9 replies to this topic
  • buffaman

Posted September 03, 2001 - 11:18 AM

Well after calling Yamaha and they assured me there was enought lube on the bearings i pulled the front end apart and guess what i found...between the 2 bearings there wasn't enough lube to keep one of the bearing out of trouble...i would't have been long and would have been replaceing bearing and races...stay lubed guys....

• Bill

Posted September 03, 2001 - 01:10 PM

Buff,

check the swing arm pivots, linkage and both axles and save yourself some grief.

Bill

Yamahas information sucks, thats why we have ThumperTalk :)

------------------
99 WR400f, YZ timed, MX-Tech suspension, Scotts steering damper, White Bros E-Series (12 discs), tapered header and a/f. Kouba T-handle for the fuel screw. Works Connection billet throttle tube and frame guards. Cycra Pro-Bend, triple clamp mount handguards. Thumper Racing rad guards, Renthal Jimmy Button highs, YZ Tank and IMS seat, YZ number plate, odo removed, EKP #4, 50PJ, 175MJ at 500-1000' Thanks James Dean!

• Jason_Williams

Posted September 04, 2001 - 10:42 AM

Never a problem staying lubed!! LOL

• CAB

Posted September 05, 2001 - 06:35 AM

I made the mistake of not pulling apart my DRZ headset for 1200 mi. When I finally did, I had about 4 oz. of water pour out onto the ground!!! Grease those headsets.

• Ga426owner

Posted September 05, 2001 - 08:41 AM

Do the steering bearings immediately, I just had to replace mine......

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • rob1980

Posted September 05, 2001 - 11:14 PM

Same here with the bearings.
I think it happens with most bikes, my brothers XR steering head bearins had no grease either.

• xr600r

Posted September 08, 2001 - 03:02 PM

why cant the factory properly grease the
bikes as they are being built ?????
they put them together with a little
grease , why not do it right , and use alot
of grease !!!!!!!!!!

------------------

• WR_Rider

Posted September 09, 2001 - 06:18 PM

Be sure to check the steering head bearing often. I think the oil being carried in the frame makes the grease a bit more "fluid" which allows it to seep more from the steering head area...

Chuck

• Dannajoe

Posted September 10, 2001 - 04:50 AM

Tap your steering head at about 8o'clock and install a grease zert. Fill the cavity with hi temp grease untill it oozes out top and bottom. Periodicalley hit it with grease, you'll never have a problem again. I've done it on several bikes, it works very well.

• DOC

Posted September 10, 2001 - 07:54 PM

I was just about to say that. Why the hell wouldn't they install gease nipples on the steering and swing arm bearings from the factory????? And while im here, why don't they have a free play adjustment screw on the front and rear brake leavers?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.