Throttle stuck

5 replies to this topic
  • Norman

Posted December 26, 2005 - 04:37 PM

Well I headed out to my riding lease today to try out my new suspension and ride my new 06 in the woods for the second time since I got it. I thought there would be alot of people there but I was wrong. I ended up riding alone, which I never do but I drove two hours to ride so I did. Everything was going good, stopped a time or two and made some suspension adjustments, then came up on a fast straight with some whoops in it so I hammered on it to see how the suspension reacted, I noticed I was going way too fast and by now the front tire was coming up fast, I realized what was going on so I pulled the clutch in and hit the kill button. when I stopped the throttle was stuck wide open, I couldnt get it to return. Finally after messing with it for a while I forced it closed, a couple of twists and everything went back to normal. I took it easy and went back to my truck, tore it down the best I could and couldnt find anything wrong, no bent needle, no trash in the slide, nothing in the bowl. I then took the throttle tube apart and still nothing. I put the bike back together and rode another 30 or so miles without any problems. Hope it was just a freak thing, it scared the crap out of me being by myself. Any ideas?

• mikedabike

Posted December 26, 2005 - 05:27 PM

Make sure you check the cable routing also. I might be getting hung on something.

• Indy_WR450

Posted December 26, 2005 - 06:01 PM

Check that the throttle stop bolt did not break or back out. That is a sure way to get a stuck open throttle. :applause:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Norman

Posted December 26, 2005 - 07:12 PM

I didnt think about the throttle stop, Im gonna take it all down and check everything before I ride again. That was scary enough in the woods, could have really been bad at the track. :applause:

• VETMX808

Posted December 26, 2005 - 08:11 PM

Vacuum Lock. From time to time our beloved 4 strokes will do this. Somehow the flow of air is "reversed" at the same time air is coming in. It will stick your slide either wide open or shut closed until the motor cools. I believe the reason for this has something to do with hot air rising from the motor back into the carburetor. Older trucks with V8's (60's and 70's) that ran too warm frequented this.

• aford541

Posted December 26, 2005 - 11:33 PM

Something caused this to happen, I would have that thing in pieces on the bench till I figured it out.
I had my throttle stick on my 05 because the washer that goes on the back of the filter was in there, no I did not do it, It bent the needle and fractured the top of the needle jet what a mess.
Take the carb apart and check the rollers they could have too much grease or some dirt in them also inspect the slide and make sure that it is securely together, make sure that the needle is not bent. Check every thing.

Related Content

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.