XR650L left case damage

3 replies to this topic
  • whitcher

Posted December 26, 2005 - 04:15 PM

The BRP fell over in the driveway - shifter punched a nice hole in the left hand case. Better in the driveway than way out there on a trail somewhere - all the oil ran out of course.

The shifter also kind of crimped the flashing inside the flywheel so it hits the stator. I don't think it bent the crank,that thing is stout.

Anyone have experience with the sheet metal lining on the flywheel? Can I flatten it out somehow? A new FW is over $400.

Thing came apart very easily - $120 for the case is par for the course.

If the bike it this vulnerable to a static fall I'm less eager about taking it on the trail now. Seems like more of a street bike than a dirt bike to me.

• Hayden

Posted December 26, 2005 - 04:44 PM

Its probably the hard concrete that made it such a bad deal. I have dumped mine down dirt roads at 60 mph a couple of times with no case damage. I would say take the case and clean it up inside and out an JB weld it or take it to a welder who can do aluminum welding and fix it that way. I wouldnt shell out the big bucks just yet on a new case. Plus you will feel bad all over again when it falls on the new case. I have seen guys fix many a case with JB Weld though. Sorry dont know about the FW. By all means though, dont throw away the case. It can be fixed!! :applause:

Hayden

94 L
95 KLX 650
01 Dakar
03 1100s

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • whitcher

Posted December 26, 2005 - 06:14 PM

Hayden,

I'd have to agree, it was the concrete. I dropped it a few times on the trail, never had the problem. I'm not sure I'm willing to trust JB weld here, as there is a 2" hole. You could glue the pieces back in but it might be too weak to take another hit. Also the cover is pretty thin - might distort when welded. All the engine stuff is pretty precise in terms of clearances. It would probably work, but not really ideal. It is a 2003 bike and probably deserves better.

Thanks

• motomonte

Posted January 09, 2006 - 08:51 AM

Hello there,sorry for the late reply but I was out for xmas.Anyway I had the same problem twice.Both times I had it welded with aluminum.So I made a cover in stainless steel wich covers the lower half of the case.Its prety simple,just cut a circular shape of about 5 1/2" with an inside hole of 2 1/2" then cut it in half.You'll have to bend it a llittle until theres no gaps.Glue it with epoxy and there you go.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  158 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 8 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.