Got my suspension back!

4 replies to this topic
  • Matty05

Posted December 26, 2005 - 03:43 PM

Got my suspension back on my bike last week, and what a difference it makes!

When I got my bike, I got new springs for it as I am slightly out of the ideal 70 - 75kg (155 - 165lbs) weight range being 110kgs (240lbs). It was a huge improvement over stock. It would ride up high in the stroke again and wouldn't bottom out anymore.

All was great with new springs, but I had problems getting the forks right. The shock seemed good to me stock, but the forks felt very springy with hardly any dampening. I ended up going to a heavier 10w oil with a raised level in the forks, seemed to work, but just felt very harsh when I set it up firm how I like it.

I decided to bite the bullet and send my suspension away to get serviced and revalved to suit my weight. It was cheap enough so away went my suspension.

Holy crap!:cry::bonk: I don't know why I didn't do it before!!! My suspension is now truly awesome!
It now works perfect and sits up in the stroke a lot more, which is a great thing as I'm 6'2". I got it firm how I like it, but very smooth and plush at the same time.

I thought the shock was good with just the spring, but I was wrong! It soaks up all the chop and tree roots, hooks up everywhere and just simply works how it should. It is a huge improvement over stock!

I can now go any line and change any line when powersliding around corners. The forks now have dampening and there is no longer soft dampening right up until you are about to bottom out. My suspension performance now matches the engine performance! I can hit corners flat out now, my lap times have dramatically improved on flat track and I ain't scared of the big doubles on the MX track anymore. I wouldn't go race my bike, but it is certainly a hell of a lot more capable now.

I strongly recommend getting the suspension done as their first mod, not just adding new springs. You always hear people say this, but I now know it is true! :applause: Definitely best mod I have done to my bike! :cry:

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted December 26, 2005 - 08:02 PM

It does sound like something that everyone should do. But, how much does something like this cost?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SJMC_DON

Posted December 26, 2005 - 08:41 PM

Matty - Since we are very similar in height and weight, I would be very interested in what components went into this -

Springs
Valves
Oil
Etc.....

Thanks Matty :applause:

• Matty05

Posted December 27, 2005 - 02:41 AM

It does sound like something that everyone should do. But, how much does something like this cost?

Remember I'm in Australia, but you get the idea anyway.
I got my springs for about $300 when I got the bike. They are Eibach springs so they are good!

I got my suspension serviced and revalved for $290 at MPE suspension in QLD for all you Aussies out there.:bonk:

The next cheapest I found was teknik motorsport, they charge $195 for the forks and $165 for the shock, revalve and serviced.You can see that $290 is cheap!

I got my fiance's WR250 set up properly too, I got it lowered 55mm, got new springs and revalve and serviced. All this cost me $600! She is 55kg (120lbs). Even now when I ride her bike, It still feels nice! Harder to bottom then stock, even with lighter springs! :applause:

You just have to call around to get the best price.

• Matty05

Posted December 27, 2005 - 02:56 AM

Matty - Since we are very similar in height and weight, I would be very interested in what components went into this -

Springs
Valves
Oil
Etc.....

Thanks Matty :applause:

I am 240lbs (110kg) and 6'2" (185cm).

I got 6kg/mm rear spring and .50kg/mm fork springs, I used racetech site calculator.
Forks:
http://www.racetech....SpringType=Fork

Shock:
http://www.racetech....pringType=Shock

I don't know what they did to the shim stacks or valves, but it definately works! They used silkoline 5w oil so it is real plush! I will have to check what oil height I have got for future reference. I just bolted them back on and I haven't even touched a clicker (must check also)! I checked the sag, it was perfect straight up, my springs are already broken in so sag won't change much.

I will have to give MPE a call and give him some praise! I will try to get some details off him, I just sent them away and let him do his magic. I haven't had time to call. I have been busy at work for the last few days, and of course, riding! :bonk:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.