Not your usual Rekluse clutch question

13 replies to this topic
  • Just034

Posted December 26, 2005 - 12:35 PM

I have a 2004 wr450. This last week I went for a camping/riding trip over several days. My battery had been not holding a charge so I was kicking it the whole trip. It is very easy to kick over but I love the E-start for when I stall it in technical sections. My question is for those who have the auto clutch. Do you even find you even need the e-start now that you never stall it? I am thinking about doing all the things to pull the battery ect and just getting a Rekluse clutch. Do you think I will miss the E start if I ditch it and go with the rekluse. BTW I have never used the auto clutch but have apretty good idea of how it works and have been considering one for some time.

• Indy_WR450

Posted December 26, 2005 - 01:00 PM

I have a buddy I ride with that did the same to his WR450 ( rekluse & stripped e-start gear) and now has a YZ450. He can live with kicking it. The only reasons you might want to keep the e-start:

1. You can start your bike if your kick starter mechanism breaks or fails which they are notorious for doing on YZs and WRs. Remember you cant bump start with the autoclutch! :cry:

2. If you are in a big group you often have to stop and wait for others to collect. My buddy just keeps idling his bike to avoid kicking it in these situations. You can damage these motors if you idle to long! So you may have a day with a lot of kicking or risk damaging your engine. :applause:

3. The bike can stall if you give it not throttle at idle rpms on a steep slope and your rear wheel is grabbed by a rock suddenly. The autoclutch cant react fast enough in these situations. You are OK as long as you have some applied throttle or if you choose to set up your autoclutch for higher rpm engagement which really feels awkward and allows the clutch to slip before engaging like turbo lag delay! :bonk:

• 642MX

Posted December 26, 2005 - 04:04 PM

I would keep the E-start. I wish I had E-start.

• ncmountainman

Posted December 26, 2005 - 05:10 PM

2. If you are in a big group you often have to stop and wait for others to collect. My buddy just keeps idling his bike to avoid kicking it in these situations. You can damage these motors if you idle to long! So you may have a day with a lot of kicking or risk damaging your engine. :applause:

i imagine your talking about me, between the fluidynes,the npg-r,and 22C, it doesn't get hot enough to worry about. on the trail i rarely wait more than a few minutes before shutting it off, but i've run it for 10 mins at idle at the house and i was more concerned about the header pipe,the bike was still at a normal temp. the wr's seem to run hotter; because of the exhaust cam i beleive. good point about that kicker breaking :bonk:

• Indy_WR450

Posted December 26, 2005 - 05:58 PM

i imagine your talking about me, between the fluidynes,the npg-r,and 22C, it doesn't get hot enough to worry about. on the trail i rarely wait more than a few minutes before shutting it off, but i've run it for 10 mins at idle at the house and i was more concerned about the header pipe,the bike was still at a normal temp. the wr's seem to run hotter; because of the exhaust cam i beleive. good point about that kicker breaking :bonk:

Yes you do have a great set up with your oversized aftermarket rads and NPG-R coolant but for guys with stock rads I think 10 minutes of idling would be harmful on a hot day. :applause:

• 642MX

Posted December 26, 2005 - 06:40 PM

10 minutes of idling on a hot day and I wouldn't have any coolant left in my rads.

• jerryls

Posted December 26, 2005 - 07:59 PM

My Rekluse is pretty well dialed in, but I always have one or two stalls per ride on really technical stuff. But if you're quick enough with the button, no one will ever know :applause: .

Jerry

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ncmountainman

Posted December 27, 2005 - 07:39 AM

My Rekluse is pretty well dialed in, but I always have one or two stalls per ride on really technical stuff. But if you're quick enough with the button, no one will ever know :applause: .

Jerry

try running your jetting a little on the lean side,turn in the screw t'ill you get a slight popping on decel. these clutches are sensative to rich jetting. also make sure your install gap is towards the looser end of the specs. i used to have a couple stalls each ride also,until i figured it out :bonk: two2cool also works very well with these clutches with either delo or rotella. that dang kicker things got me wondering how i could come up with an emergency backup plan. i remember al saying something about it being possible but can't remember;gonna have to give him a call :cry:

• Indy_WR450

Posted December 27, 2005 - 08:12 AM

that dang kicker things got me wondering how i could come up with an emergency backup plan. i remember al saying something about it being possible but can't remember;gonna have to give him a call :applause:

I can just see it now! Ralph and his pumpkin towing a blue bike out of the woods! :bonk: :cry: :cry: :cry: :p :lol: :bonk: :bonk: :bonk: :bonk: :bonk: :bonk: :bonk:

• ncmountainman

Posted December 27, 2005 - 09:26 AM

I can just see it now! Ralph and his pumpkin towing a blue bike out of the woods! :applause: :bonk: :cry: :cry: :cry: :p :lol: :bonk: :bonk: :bonk: :bonk: :bonk: :bonk:

that ain't funny dan! i'd burn it first :bonk:

• youngwerth

Posted December 27, 2005 - 03:46 PM

Carry an extra drive plate with you and the torx driver. If you need to bump start, just put an extra drive plate in the stack (make sure the top most plate is a friction) and bolt it back together. You now have pretty much a manual clutch (as long as you have a perch adjuster). Even without the perch adjuster, you could bump start, just couldn't stop without killing the engine.

• 00YZ426FMRCD

Posted December 27, 2005 - 04:25 PM

10 minutes of idling on a hot day and I wouldn't have any coolant left in my rads.

Bump that down to 2 minutes for me Hoston! Just out of curiosity, will a Rekluse clutch cause a bike to run any hotter?

• 642MX

Posted December 27, 2005 - 04:30 PM

Bump that down to 2 minutes for me Hoston! Just out of curiosity, will a Rekluse clutch cause a bike to run any hotter?

Oh yea, you can feel the extra heat when your riding in technical sections and the clutch is not fully engaged. The clutch cover heats up fast.

• Indy_WR450

Posted December 27, 2005 - 05:28 PM

Yeah the Rekluse needs better cooling than a stock bike so at least use the recommended diesel oil, Two2Cool and Evans NPG-R. If that is not enough then get the larger Fluidyne radiators! :applause:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.