Don't like my fat ass radiator guards!

23 replies to this topic
  • LTK300

Posted December 25, 2005 - 07:32 PM

I just bought a 06 WR 450 a couple of weeks ago. I ride a lot of tight and rocky stuff, so good radiator guards are a must for me. So I put on the Devol deals, and they seem strong enough. However, they make the shrouds stick out about an inch on each side of the bike. :applause: I don't dig that! Real bush grabbers. Any thoughts on other brands, or modifications?

Thanks,LT

• BIGBLUEKNIGHT

Posted December 25, 2005 - 07:33 PM

take a dremel and grind down the little fins on the insides of the radiator shrouds

• stonewall

Posted December 25, 2005 - 07:34 PM

Unabiker :applause:

• LTK300

Posted December 25, 2005 - 07:47 PM

take a dremel and grind down the little fins on the insides of the radiator shrouds

I thought about that, but it seems like the bottom holes of the shrouds are at the same plane as the fins. Also, the guards stick out at least a 1/2 inch past the radiator.

Good idea though.

• bg10459

Posted December 25, 2005 - 07:51 PM

This is actually required for the Flatlands guards. I used a razor blade to cut about 1/2" off the fins and the shrouds don't stick out. They're real stout guards too.

• black_n_blue_thumper

Posted December 25, 2005 - 10:08 PM

Unibikers. They just fit and work. Hmmmm. For 100 bucks you get what you want. Cool. :applause:

• LTK300

Posted December 25, 2005 - 10:19 PM

Unibikers. They just fit and work. Hmmmm. For 100 bucks you get what you want. Cool. :applause:

Thanks Stonewall and Black and Blue. I went to the TT store site and checked them out. They look impressive. Just wanted to clarify. The Unabikes fit in tight? I should also mention I am running an IMS desert tank. Will that interfear?

P.S. Can eather of you guys post a pic or two of your bike with the guards?

• crooks420

Posted December 25, 2005 - 11:06 PM

I have an 05 WR450 with the stock tank and Works guards. They dont cause any increase in width, but I have read they might need some trimming to work with the Yamaha/ Acerbis oversize tank.

Jesse

• WheelsUp

Posted December 26, 2005 - 12:17 AM

Flatlands work with the IMS oversize tank, but the shrouds are a bit of a pain.
Yes, since the guards themselves wrap the radiators, it does cause the shrouds to stick out maybe 1/2 inch, even when trimming the fins on the inside. I haven't really noticed it on the trail.

• SJMC_DON

Posted December 26, 2005 - 08:26 PM

You already got Devol guards right? Unless you can return em' I would just perform the trimming as described above. The Devols are decent guards, I can't compare them to Unibikers but I have been happy with them on two WR's to date. I agree they make the shrouds stick out but if you trim the spines down with a razor blade as described above, they will suck back in to near stock width. I know because I do this every time I put new shrouds on :applause:

Good Luck :bonk:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • LTK300

Posted December 28, 2005 - 04:26 PM

I did end up cutting the fins back on the shrouds. It worked out better than I thought it would. Thanks guys for the tip. :applause: :bonk:

Love'n my new wheels! IMS tank,Scotts stabilizer, Cycra bark busters, ASI mod, Acerbiss front disck guard, Pro tapper bars, Devol rad guards, skid plate and frame guards. Still waiting for someone to make a good shark fin for the 06 WR 450.

• Matty05

Posted December 28, 2005 - 04:38 PM

Looks like you need a set of these!
http://www.bboffroad...au/WR4_rads.jpg

• Drunken Monkey

Posted December 28, 2005 - 06:28 PM

Looks like you need a set of these!
http://www.bboffroad...au/WR4_rads.jpg

those B&B guards are awesome! I got B&B bashplate on my WR!
They are the only ones to actually take the time to measure airflow through the guard, which means just as much as protecting the radiator. I have never seen something so tough.

• SJMC_DON

Posted December 28, 2005 - 06:37 PM

Those B&B's will allow your rads to get clogged in a mud race, the Devols will to but not as fast as those, the size and quantity of holes in those B&B guards would provide enough heat transfer to cool a chevy truck.

I know of guys that will cover them with womens nylons, (not sure how :bonk: ) but the deal is that the mud will cake onto the nylons and then just fall off while racing. I've seen it work :applause:

The stock louvers actually work the best for providing and maintaining heat transfer, just wish they could keep the rad from getting bashed in :cry:

• crashing_sux

Posted December 28, 2005 - 08:09 PM

Anyone know of braces and guards that will fit with the fluidyne radiators. I know a couple of members here will say the unibikers fit on their fluidynes without running the rear half but the guy who makes the unibikers himself says that's a bad idea and that they'll have no bracing effect, just act as front guards.

• Matty05

Posted December 28, 2005 - 09:39 PM

The stock louvers actually work the best for providing and maintaining heat transfer, just wish they could keep the rad from getting bashed in :applause:

B&B actually tested theirs and that is why they look the way they do! They work just as good as the plastic fins for flow.

They are real heavy duty, more than anything else I have ever seen. It doesn't look like the mud will clog them up, they have lots of airflow space there. I have held some in my bare hands.

My B&B bash plate and frame guards will out last my next three bikes!

• SJMC_DON

Posted December 29, 2005 - 08:21 AM

Anyone know of braces and guards that will fit with the fluidyne radiators. I know a couple of members here will say the unibikers fit on their fluidynes without running the rear half but the guy who makes the unibikers himself says that's a bad idea and that they'll have no bracing effect, just act as front guards.

I run Devols with my Fluidynes, it's a little bit of a challenge mounting them but it can be done. :applause:

• crashing_sux

Posted December 29, 2005 - 08:58 AM

I'm in luck, Brian at Unabiker said he'd mod them to me to fit and still have the proper strength. It'll be a few weeks and I'm not sure what it'll cost yet but from what everyone here says about Unabiker it sounds like the best way for me to go.

• SJMC_DON

Posted December 29, 2005 - 09:35 AM

I'm in luck, Brian at Unabiker said he'd mod them to me to fit and still have the proper strength. It'll be a few weeks and I'm not sure what it'll cost yet but from what everyone here says about Unabiker it sounds like the best way for me to go.

Are you hitting any NMA off road events? I'd like to check those out once you get them mounted :applause:

• crashing_sux

Posted December 29, 2005 - 09:53 AM

I don't actually know what those events are, I just got into dirt biking a couple of months ago so I'm still trying everything out I can. My girlfriend is doing her first scramble this weekend (hangover scrambles) but I'll be unable to due to my busted radiator.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.