06 450 Clutch Noise ???

13 replies to this topic
  • Chopio

Posted December 25, 2005 - 03:39 PM

When I am in neutral and let the clutch out there is a noise thats sounds like something is off balance? I heard some other years had dry plate problems? Could this be it? :bonk: Is any body else having this problem? Otherwise bike rips. :applause:

• biznet1

Posted December 25, 2005 - 04:01 PM

Can you describe the noise a little better?

• Chopio

Posted December 25, 2005 - 04:39 PM

It is like a rubbing noise, can feel it in the bike as well.

Thanks

• matt116

Posted December 25, 2005 - 04:43 PM

Mine does it to I've had the bike about a month now. The sound has never changed, been the same since day 1 so I figure it's no big deal could be from the new balancer design.

• Chopio

Posted December 25, 2005 - 04:47 PM

I hope so I have had mine for about 3 weeks I called the local shop they said it could be break in on the clutch? I bought the bike on the internet from Ohio I'm in so cal hope it is not bad

• biznet1

Posted December 25, 2005 - 04:48 PM

Hmmm. I don't know. I would take it to the dealer while it's still under warranty, at least to get it documented before your 30 days are up. This way, if it detonates later, you should still be covered.

• mummer12

Posted December 26, 2005 - 09:50 AM

Mine was doing it also. If anyone finds out let me know. I thought my clutch was out of adjustment but its not.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 00YZ426FMRCD

Posted December 26, 2005 - 10:12 AM

I would take it to the dealer while it's still under warranty, at least to get it documented before your 30 days are up. This way, if it detonates later, you should still be covered.

Ditto. I had a friend who bought a new 05 and ironically it was making a similar noise. He took it back and they tightened or adjusted something inside and the noise went away. I want to say something with clutch basket...

• grayracer513

Posted December 26, 2005 - 10:46 AM

Relax. It's normal transmission rattle. Look, your engine does not run at one steady RPM at idle. It goes "thump-thump-thump", right? Each thump is a power stroke, which accelerates the engine. That's followed by the engine coming up on the next compression stroke, decelerating, and then, "thump", another acceleration. With all of this speed up/slow down stuff going on, the transmission is like someone standing in the aisle of a bus with a student driver. When you pull the clutch, the trans disconnects from the engine, and the noise stops.

You can hear the same sort of noise in most stick shift cars or trucks with 4 & 6 cylinder engines, sometimes even V8's. Compare it to another one. You'll find they all do it.

• MXKyle

Posted December 26, 2005 - 04:59 PM

Relax.

I wish. I've got one ride on my new 450 and am experiencing a noise as well. It sounds and feels like a bad bearing. It is only noticeable when rolling along at idle but it is pretty bad then. The noise/vibration can be varied by pulling in the clutch. With the clutch in it almost goes away. I have enough experience to know when to be worried and I'm worried. I first made sure it had the required quantity of oil which it did then I pulled the clutch apart. Not finding the expected burn marks on anything I reassembled it.

Somethings not good but I'm going to ride it till it fails.

--KT--

• grayracer513

Posted December 26, 2005 - 06:02 PM

I'm going to ride it till it fails.

I'll bet it will be a long ride. :applause:

• Gadsen

Posted December 26, 2005 - 06:07 PM

Chill! I'll bet its "gear rattle", common with "straight cut" gears which are superior for strength, but make noise and in addition to being a dry sump, none of it is submerged in oil to quiet it down. I'd guess its normal.

• pelted

Posted December 26, 2005 - 06:42 PM

When I am in neutral and let the clutch out there is a noise...

Mine does it too, doesn't seem to be a problem. My 04 did the same thing.

• SchmidtC194

Posted March 17, 2006 - 12:39 PM

Just bought 06 YZ450f and experiancing the same noise. I checked other posts and found out that it is normal. So don't worry!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.