3rd gear wheelies?

24 replies to this topic
  • Fordskin

Posted December 24, 2005 - 10:43 PM

I have had my 650r for 1 year. It is uncorked but to this day it won't wheelie in 3rd gear. I have heard people say that it will do this by pretty much blipping the gas on flat road while at peak revs. Mine just runs out of guts while 1st and 2nd its no problem. Gearing is 14\48. I do weigh 240 pounds. The bike feels strong but it is noticable on the road that its slack on the top end.I have tried screwing out the what i think is the mixture screw on the carb but i goes the same and creates a flat spot down low. Maybe i should just buy an edlebrock? :applause:

• JackAttack

Posted December 25, 2005 - 12:26 AM

Have you ever adjusted your valves?

• RedRider98

Posted December 25, 2005 - 12:38 AM

turning screws won't help you, learn how to jet properly.

• mtrhd101

Posted December 25, 2005 - 12:55 AM

It's not gonna wheelie real easy with a 240 lb. rider just by cranking the gas in 3rd gear even if you are jetted perfect and the rear wheel is slid all the way up, plus your best power in not really tacked to the nuts on a 650R.. Your gonna have to throttle back to dip the front end a bit while in the meat of the torque curve, then gas it and give a tug at the same time.. Try it on a slight incline while you get use to it, that makes it easier.. You should be able to do it if you time it all just right but it's not gonna just stand straight up for a heavy guy in 3rd with a flick of the wrist.. :applause:

• Fordskin

Posted December 25, 2005 - 01:17 AM

Yes," in the meat of the torque curve" is what i meant. So it seems it is normal then. Its not that i will be doing 3rd gear wheelies but more an an indication of how the power of my bike compares to others. I'm 40 years old so if i fell on my arse doing a third gear wheelie i probably would'nt get up. Thanks.

• mtrhd101

Posted December 25, 2005 - 11:51 AM

It's normal.. I've had 2 650R's with and without modifications and ridden several others and thats about par for the course.. Some people say things just in wishful thinking I suppose.. If you want to wheelie with the flick of a wrist get a lightly modified CR500.. 40 isn't old, I'm 37 and ride with a guy thats 43, He rides a wheelie down the highway at 60 mph every time we go, it's just a practice and feel/balance thing.. :applause:

• Ramcc4x4

Posted December 25, 2005 - 01:02 PM

When my bike had the stock header/HRC tip, and stock carb set at 68s/B53E at 3rd clip/178 main my bike would lift in third just by being on the gas and I weigh 245. With the header, "E" Series, side panel mod and Edelbrock it does it even easier now. If I just drank light beer.....

As I thought about it I remembered I ran 13/48 gearing so that may be a big factor.

• mtrhd101

Posted December 25, 2005 - 04:02 PM

I've ridden probably 10 examples of 650R's and none of them impressed me with much wheelie potential past second gear unless you time it just right or use the clutch, I only weigh 185 lbs.. :applause:

• khelton

Posted December 25, 2005 - 04:15 PM

I love my uncorked, slightly lightened, FMF Ti piped, vented airbox, recently valve adjusted, XR650R SM. It runs with anything out there . It also does not do 3rd gear wheelies unless you use a lotta muscle..a lot...

Glad someone asked this question because I was getting a complex, mine runs strong but no easy 3rd gear wheelies.

• XR4DEZ

Posted December 25, 2005 - 08:05 PM

In 3rd you gotta stand up to wheelie. Sink the front end a bit then hit the throttle and pull back, comes to the balance point easy after that it's up to you.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Fordskin

Posted December 26, 2005 - 05:25 AM

Almost sounds too easy. :applause:

• BIG RED

Posted December 26, 2005 - 09:22 AM

I pull wheelies in forth then shift to fifth and i way 220lbs (its all technique)

• RJC

Posted December 26, 2005 - 11:03 AM

... I'm 37 and ride with a guy thats 43, He rides a wheelie down the highway at 60 mph every time we go, it's just a practice and feel/balance thing.. :applause:

I've seen alot of sportbikes on-road and freeway doing wheelies. But come to realize, I've never seen an XR650R doing the same. Sooo....all you "talkers" out there let's see some videos! (don't ask me to do one myself-I ain't that good and I admit it).

• XR4DEZ

Posted December 26, 2005 - 04:46 PM

Technique

• XR250_RIDER_14

Posted December 26, 2005 - 05:04 PM

I'm very confused by this thread, because I have a very modified (could be the reason) XR250 and I can easily to wheelies in 4th gear by just cracking my throttle and pulling up just a little!! A 650 should be able to do a wheelie in every gear with just a littly blip. From what I have found out the XRs are very easy to wheelie since they have really short swingarms. I can ride a 70 mph wheelie on my 250 in 6th gear!! When I first had my 250 I could hardly do 3rd gear wheelies (unmodified bike and unexperienced wheelie rider) now its just a quick blip in 3rd and up and away 3rd 4th 5th 6th WAAAAAAAAAA!! :bonk: :applause: :cry: Another reason could be the 650s are just alot heavier.

• jws

Posted December 26, 2005 - 05:10 PM

Hell I am a fat ass at 300 lbs - my bike has no problem doing 3rd gear power wheelies :applause: scares the hell out of me but I am getting used to it :bonk:

• mtrhd101

Posted December 26, 2005 - 05:49 PM

I've seen alot of sportbikes on-road and freeway doing wheelies. But come to realize, I've never seen an XR650R doing the same. Sooo....all you "talkers" out there let's see some videos! (don't ask me to do one myself-I ain't that good and I admit it).

You want me to ride along behind him with a video camera and e-mail it to you ?? Besides, the "talkers" here are the 250lb. riders claiming 3rd and 4th gear effortless power wheelies.. Facts are, you can ride a highway speed wheelie on just about anything that will run that fast if you are good enough, the best wheelie guy I ever rode with did it on a KDX 200.. If you haven't seen it then all I can assume is that you haven't ridden with anybody thats any good.. Cause I promise you it can be done.. :applause:

• Tber

Posted December 26, 2005 - 06:26 PM

clutch it, clutch it and clutch it. You can pull it up at 10 mph with the clutch if you want to. It is just a little blip of the throttle and clutch.

• XR250_RIDER_14

Posted December 26, 2005 - 07:44 PM

You want me to ride along behind him with a video camera and e-mail it to you ?? Besides, the "talkers" here are the 250lb. riders claiming 3rd and 4th gear effortless power wheelies.. Facts are, you can ride a highway speed wheelie on just about anything that will run that fast if you are good enough, the best wheelie guy I ever rode with did it on a KDX 200.. If you haven't seen it then all I can assume is that you haven't ridden with anybody thats any good.. Cause I promise you it can be done..

Couldn't say it any better than he just did. I would want something above 250cc's thought unless its a smoker.

• Max Power

Posted December 26, 2005 - 08:27 PM

Where is Wr 450 when we need him?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Ooops wrong topic....

Posted Image

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.