getting it plated in ca

7 replies to this topic
  • redmansz400

Posted December 24, 2005 - 10:16 PM


does anyone know what i need to do to get my bike street legal? i think its just signal lights, mirror, and horn but i'm not sure

  • baha

Posted December 25, 2005 - 11:29 AM


Do a search, I have seen a complete how to here somewhere

  • NuckingFuts

Posted December 25, 2005 - 01:25 PM


Update us CA guys if you find out. Im interested in motarding my 426 when I upgrade next year.

  • WheelsUp

Posted December 25, 2005 - 02:06 PM


California had a cutoff in December '03 when they closed most of the loopholes for plating pre-'02 offroad bikes.
Best you can do today is import one already plated from another state and transfer title, or start with a brand new green-sticker bike that's never been registered before.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 1BLUEsky

Posted December 25, 2005 - 09:48 PM


FRom what I've been told by several people, WheelsUp is right. The bike may come plated from another state or must be BRAND NEW , green sticker legal to get a plate here in CA.I'm sure you were hoping to register your bike but the best bet is to buy brand new or search for an already plated bike. I know about a month ago there was a guy on Ebay selling XR650R 's plated for a price but I'm sure you can find something in the classifieds here.

  • redmansz400

Posted December 25, 2005 - 11:14 PM


i'll just sell it to a relative in oklahoma let him get it plated then buy it back from him. hopefully i'll get around the DMV that way

  • WheelsUp

Posted December 26, 2005 - 12:05 AM


Might get lucky that way, but the problem is that it's already in the CA computers.

  • The_Blue_One

Posted December 26, 2005 - 07:57 AM


I plated my 05 wr450 after it was already registered. I may have gotten lucky with it slipping through a crack :excuseme:But I also plated a 02 crf450 a year and a half ago so maybe not. I'd just give it a try and see what happens. I had a buddy that owns a car repair shop and he signed off my brake and light inspection form without the kit.. After that i had to get the vin verified by the CHP and fill out a few forms.

Pretty simple :applause:

Here are the requirements off the dakar site:

Headlight with a high/low beam, high beam indicator light visible to the operator to show when the high
beam is on, 4 turn signals, front & rear at minimum distance, Turn Signal Switch with left, right on/off
switch, hi-low beam switch & horn, a battery powered taillight and brake light taillight should operate for
20 minutes on battery power alone, a brake switch on the front or rear and a rear view mirror. Note:
California only requires a left side mirror, however some states require both left & right side mirrors.


Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.