Rear Brake Too Powerful??????

11 replies to this topic
  • patoke

Posted December 24, 2005 - 11:20 AM

I have had a 2003 wr450 year now and I can't seem to figure out how to properly use the rear brake. The first issue I have is that it seems to be way above my peg, even adjusted all the way down. Therefore, I have a bad habit of stepping on it at the wrong moments creating all sorts of interesting moments. :applause: Beside that issue which causes me to ride with my foot cocked to the right, it seems like it has very little travel. It moves such a small amount that it is either no rear brake or full lock. Therefore, I never use the thing. We ride some very steep nasty trails and I would love to be able to use it on some steep descents, but it just locks up and I my rear wants to pass the front. By the end of the day my front brake is totally done. I bought the bike used so I don't know if this is the way it comes stock. I have ridden quite a few other bikes and I don't notice this problem. Does it sound normal for the wr? Is it just the fact that I am a novice rider and need to get better at regulating the pedal or riding in general? If it is normal, then is there an aftermarket part to change it? Thanks, Pat

• 1BLUEsky

Posted December 24, 2005 - 11:37 AM

I looked up the specs from my manual in section 3-28 and it shows the top of the brake pedal should be 5mm or a little less than a 1/4" higher than the top of the foot peg. I have an 03 Wr and have found no unusual braking problems, they just work real well. I usually allow the engine to do the work. You may need to bleed and/or replace your brake fluid. When cleaning your bike squirt alittle more water around yuor calipers to keep grit from the piston seals.

• patoke

Posted December 24, 2005 - 11:47 AM

thanks bluesky,

that is good to know that the pedal is the proper height. I will try and bleed them and change out the fluid to see what that does. Otherwise, I think I just need more experience and learn to use the engine braking more. How often are you supposed to change the brake fluid?

• mikedabike

Posted December 24, 2005 - 11:00 PM

I like to run my brake pedal low. On my YZ when I lowered the footpegs I found I could not adjust the pedal low enough before the adjuster would bottom out. I cut about a quarter inch off the threaded part of the adjsuter and that allowed me to get the pedal lower. You could try it if you still have problems.

• sandman76513

Posted December 25, 2005 - 07:17 AM

I was experiencing the same issue...I could not regulate the correct amount of foot pressure to keep the rear tire from locking up. I ride mostly trails, in a alot of soft conditions and found myself skidding into most every turn. Then I read an article in the Jan 06 edition of Dirt Rider where they replaced the stock rear pad with a Carbon Graphite pad from EBC and noted that it required alot more effort to get the tire to lock up. I swapped mine out for the EBC carbon graphite pad and after two rides can tell you that I really am glad that I made the change. I believe it was EBC part # FA346X, hope this helps.

• baha

Posted December 25, 2005 - 11:26 AM

I was experiencing the same issue...I could not regulate the correct amount of foot pressure to keep the rear tire from locking up. I ride mostly trails, in a alot of soft conditions and found myself skidding into most every turn. Then I read an article in the Jan 06 edition of Dirt Rider where they replaced the stock rear pad with a Carbon Graphite pad from EBC and noted that it required alot more effort to get the tire to lock up. I swapped mine out for the EBC carbon graphite pad and after two rides can tell you that I really am glad that I made the change. I believe it was EBC part # FA346X, hope this helps.

Same issue thanks

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • patoke

Posted December 25, 2005 - 12:51 PM

Thanks for all the great info. I was thinking about cutting the bolt that stops me from lowering the pedal anymore, but I wasn't sure if I should. Also, I will try the brake pads from EBC.

Thanks again and Happy Holidays!!!

• sandman76513

Posted December 25, 2005 - 04:50 PM

Correction to that part number that I posted earlier. I verified with the one I installed and the correct part number is EBC #FA367X for the Carbon Graphite pad. To much in the way of holiday spirits earlier I guess...

• TwoBobRob

Posted December 25, 2005 - 06:11 PM

I too chopped a bit off the threaded bar in order to drop the pedal. I like to run it low. No problems now :applause:

• 1BLUEsky

Posted December 25, 2005 - 09:37 PM

sorry for the info delay. Fluid change is to be done once a year. I like the other info concerning the brake pads, as I said they(stock) work well, maybe too well in some cases. Good luck!

• SpeedBlitz

Posted January 02, 2006 - 06:07 AM

Another option, which I read about on in this forum is to "put air into the the brake line" to give the rear brake a more "spongee" feel and better modulation. Not sure if what I wrote makes sense since I'm not sure how to say this, but instead of bleeding out air, they let some air in to get the desired "spongeeness" in the rear brake.

• WGP

Posted January 02, 2006 - 07:37 AM

The stock brake pads are crap on these bikes. They will glaze over after some high heat and will then not work properly.
Switch out the pads with organic (not metallic) pads and your brakes will work again. :applause:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.