Edelbrock Carb

18 replies to this topic
  • Fio

Posted December 23, 2005 - 11:27 PM

OK, is the Edelbrock carb for the XR650L worth the money or is a properly jetted stock carb good enough? I guess I would just like to know if you would notice a big improvement in performance? I have changed the pipe and air cleaner and jetted the carb and all seems well, but one is allways wondering if things could be better.:applause:

• goblin127

Posted December 24, 2005 - 07:31 AM

I don't know about the edelbrock but the mikuni I put on my L for half that made a nice improvement over the cheap kehin that came with the bike. Throttle responce is way better,and it starts first thing in the cold.

• Dagwood_55

Posted December 24, 2005 - 08:09 AM

I be wondering the same thing, thinking bout getting the Edelbrock for my L, but see most post are riding the R.

• creeky

Posted December 24, 2005 - 09:28 AM

If you just want to improve the stock carb, here's a link that you may or may not have seen: www.4strokes.com/tech/honda/xr650lcarbmods/

• Fio

Posted December 24, 2005 - 01:32 PM

Where do you get the Mikuni and what model/size? :applause:

• XRL_Rider

Posted December 24, 2005 - 02:14 PM

I tried the Mikuni kit from White Brothers and had great performance on top, but not really responsive right off idle. The Edelbrock pumper smooths out the low end but and is right up there with the Mikuni for the top end. If you want a good price on my old Mikuni shoot me a pm.

• husky123

Posted December 24, 2005 - 02:30 PM

I had the Mikuni TM on my L also. I took it off for the Edelbrock and am glad I did. The flatslide had really nice throttle response but I could not get rid of a flat spot in the lower midrange and it drove me crazy....crazy enough to buy the pumper. Another 'problem' with the Mikuni is after a while the idle screw will leave a detent in the slide and when you have to change idle (weather, etc.) it can be finicky, too high or too low. That drove me crazy too. I'm so glad I went with the Edelbrock. I had one or my 650R and loved it before I waded it all up. It smoothed everything out and made the bike so much more enjoyable. I don't have to worry about it hunting around for an idle. It's about as close to a Constant Velocity for manners/driveability with much more performance. Don't go expecting huge gains though because you'll be disappointed. It just makes the bike much more civil. And as for jetting changes? Not even close...Edelbrock hands down. :applause:

Later, Lee

• Dagwood_55

Posted December 25, 2005 - 04:48 PM

Can I get a new Edelbrock carb for my L for under $400 bucks?? And surley I can put/install it myself?? Tune it also myself?? I'm not all that mech, but I can follow intstructions if I go slow enuff.

• exaresix

Posted December 25, 2005 - 05:17 PM

In my opinion, there is nothing wrong with the stock Keihin carburetor. It is easy to adjust, easy to clean, easy to change jets on, it fits the bike perfectly, there is no issue with idle adjustment or cable routing (as many here have reported with the Edlebrock). I'm very happy with mine. Best of all, you don't have to bend over for another $400 or spend a day putting it in and getting your hands covered with gasoline. All brand new carbs seem to start bikes wonderfully because they have a new clean, usually up-sized, idle jet . A clean Keihin carb will start an XR very nicely.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • XRL_Rider

Posted December 25, 2005 - 06:53 PM

In my opinion, there is nothing wrong with the stock Keihin carburetor. It is easy to adjust, easy to clean, easy to change jets on, it fits the bike perfectly, there is no issue with idle adjustment or cable routing (as many here have reported with the Edlebrock). I'm very happy with mine. Best of all, you don't have to bend over for another $400 or spend a day putting it in and getting your hands covered with gasoline. All brand new carbs seem to start bikes wonderfully because they have a new clean, usually up-sized, idle jet . A clean Keihin carb will start an XR very nicely.

A pumper carb makes a huge difference when trying to fire up a modified high compression motor (I have a 10.5/1 piston+ hot cam stage one and had to lose the auto decompressor) Even stock, when the temp was around freezing starting was iffy with the CV carb.

• exaresix

Posted December 25, 2005 - 08:45 PM

The fellow asking has electric start, so he won't be wearing himself out with a kick starter. Additionally, he didn't mention anything about having a high compression piston or a hot cam. I think there is little to gain by switching to an Edlebrock in this case.

• cr85racer12

Posted December 27, 2005 - 08:46 PM

It looks like a nice carb I wonder whats better that or the BIG AIR carb

• Dagwood_55

Posted December 28, 2005 - 04:49 AM

Big Air?? I guess I'll show my newbe... never heard of a big air...
Anyone care to comment????

Tried to call Barnums all day yesterday, but noone answered, they open??

• Boy Honda

Posted December 30, 2005 - 07:24 AM

Do you think it would make your CR500 more manageable?

• husky123

Posted December 30, 2005 - 11:41 AM

Do you think it would make your CR500 more manageable?

You're funny. It's plenty manageable right now (in box). :applause:

• goblin127

Posted December 31, 2005 - 07:45 AM

Mikuni from XRs only.

• goblin127

Posted January 01, 2006 - 06:10 AM

How would an idle screw put a dent in the slide in less you had it screwed in too far?

• snaggleXR650

Posted January 01, 2006 - 07:26 AM

Hey,
I use a Mikuni TM40 on my 650R and I used a TM36 on my XR400. The Mikuni is VERY tunable, but this also can make it difficult to setup. This is why you hear some people complain about it. The Mikuni is a bit smaller too, so it has less fitment issues on some bikes.

The Edelbrock has a magic "turn this screw" to tune feature. From what I've heard, it's VERY easy to setup and has good performance.

You will not notice any huge increases in HP with either carb. It's mainly starting and throttle response. The stock carb can be lived with, it's just that most people like spending $ on shiny, go fast bits.

• husky123

Posted January 01, 2006 - 02:53 PM

How would an idle screw put a dent in the slide in less you had it screwed in too far?

Virbration I reckon. And no it's not screwed in too far. Over time it will just create a little crater. No biggie though...

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  158 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 8 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.