i'm missing a spoke

14 replies to this topic
  • redmansz400

Posted December 23, 2005 - 07:14 PM

anything i should be worried about or can i go out and ride tracks/desert before i get it fixed? its on (or not on) the front wheel

• 642MX

Posted December 23, 2005 - 07:36 PM

You could ride without it, but I wouldn't.

• redmansz400

Posted December 23, 2005 - 07:41 PM

the guy i baught it from didn't even know it was missing and he rode pretty hard. i still haven't ridden it or any other bike more than up and down my street a couple times so i think i'll be safe. can you buy just one spoke or do you have to buy all new full set?

• 642MX

Posted December 23, 2005 - 07:46 PM

Yamaha only sells the set. Your local Honda dealer can sell you just one, its the same spoke as a CRF450.

• Bamster

Posted December 23, 2005 - 07:46 PM

You can buy one spoke, so go right out and get one,,,,NOW!
Don't ride it. the rim will get a flat spot if you wait.

• redmansz400

Posted December 23, 2005 - 09:24 PM

i just looked and the wheel was a little wobbley (flat spots). and the front bearing is either shot or just needs to be packed. i want to ride in the morning so i'm debating working on it now or riding it and seeing what happens

• redmansz400

Posted December 23, 2005 - 10:37 PM

how do you take the front wheel off?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • redmansz400

Posted December 23, 2005 - 11:01 PM

ok i'm stupid. no one reply to this

• yz250ftony

Posted December 23, 2005 - 11:04 PM

Don't worry about it. A spoke is just a fancy piece of wire. You have 30 somethin more to go. Do you tighten your spokes every few rides?

• redmansz400

Posted December 23, 2005 - 11:26 PM

i was saying i'm stupid about how to take the front wheel off. i've only ridden maybe an hour and my last bike had solid wheels (suzuki 90)

• tmckeown

Posted December 23, 2005 - 11:40 PM

Hi,

On you front suspension where the front axle goes thru are 2 bolts on each side you have to loosen. After that just use 22mm socket and open front axle. and pull it out.

Timo Mc

• yz250ftony

Posted December 23, 2005 - 11:47 PM

Hi,

On you front suspension where the front axle goes thru are 2 bolts on each side you have to loosen. After that just use 22mm socket and open front axle. and pull it out.

Timo Mc

I was wrong this whole time! Thanks! J/K. Have fun taking it off redmansz400. :applause:

• WheelsUp

Posted December 24, 2005 - 12:04 AM

If the wheel is wobbling and you think the bearings may have a problem, I would not ride it. If the bearings are shot, then you could damage the rotor or caliper, not to mention crash the bike because of the unstable wheel.

If the bearings aren't shot but are just a little dry and misadjusted, then riding could cause some expensive damage.

Plan a ride for Monday or Tuesday... spend tomorrow going through that front wheel.

Take a look at www.thumperfaq.com and download the service manual. It's for the 2003 WR250F, but most procedures and torque values are the same for your 450.

• redmansz400

Posted December 24, 2005 - 12:05 AM

ok what do you do if you happen to round off the nut? i guess a punch and a hammer would work but thats gonna suck cus its still on there super tight

• redmansz400

Posted December 24, 2005 - 12:07 AM

If the wheel is wobbling and you think the bearings may have a problem, I would not ride it. If the bearings are shot, then you could damage the rotor or caliper, not to mention crash the bike because of the unstable wheel.

If the bearings aren't shot but are just a little dry and misadjusted, then riding could cause some expensive damage.

Plan a ride for Monday or Tuesday... spend tomorrow going through that front wheel.

Take a look at www.thumperfaq.com and download the service manual. It's for the 2003 WR250F, but most procedures and torque values are the same for your 450.

ya i got monday off so i'll plan on a ride then. btw my bikes a 400 but they should all be about the same. thanks for the link :applause:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.