Xr650r Value Vs. Crf600x

Thinking about selling one?? I would imagine it would go down in value once the new hot bike comes out and everyone wants to jump on the band wagon. The 600R's dropped in price once the 650R came out. It will drop in value but it for sure but it will still be valueable depending on who is in the market.

First off it is still a rumor. The rumor is somewhat based on the closing of the R and L production lines. This was brought up in an ongoing thread. But I just found out that they close those productions lines every year after they produce that years run of bikes. So that is no indication that they are going to discontinue either bike next year.

But it does make sense that Honda will come out with a 500 to 600 cc crf. Because their competition is doing that very thing and moving the product. There is a market for it. Husqavarna and GasGas have them in the 06 line and people are buying them. Honda is generally slow when it comes to the catch up game. But when they do come out with something you can bet it will be good.

Our XR650R's already go for a reduce price simply cause they do not move them fast enough. But I don't know another dirt bike as overbuilt as the XR650R. It is worth every penny when you use them in their nitch. They still rule the desert. I trust the XR and that is important. If you can't trust a bike to always do it's job what good is it? :applause:

I have to agree that the XRs are good bikes, but we have to embrace new technology, typically the new technology of a new bike will not make the older models less valueable unless the new bike is so far superior than the old but I do not think so in this case. I am sure we can expect multivalves, this is great but not earth shattering, suspensions are so good now that what ever new comes out I doubt would make me want to get rid of my bike. The new bike will be more complex and mods will be more expensive, but bring on the new so that in a few years I may look into getting one. :applause:

I wouldn't lay awake at night worrying about it. New models coming along and replacing current ones are a matter of inevitability. Being both durable and reliable bikes, the XR's have an advantage and reputation in the second hand market that in some ways is just becomming to be appreciated by many in a period of fragile competition based machinery.

Rumours of the 600X have been along a lot longer then the recent "discontinued 650's" thread and something will come along and replace the current 650's, just as the XR600 was replaced...just as the XR500 was replaced...

I will likely wait to see how the new CRF600X or whatever it will be called looks on paper then make my decision to keep or sell the big guy. I may even sell it and buy a leftover new 06 650R if CRFX does not look too good, just to assure my ride well into the future. Basically for all of us it depends on how this new model will attempt to meet our needs. If is its fast but not reliable then its not for me. I would think some basic improvements and needs would be in order from Honda to make this bike a hit. Shed some weight (25lbs. min.), high performance motor, slimmer yet stabile chassis, better stock suspension, e-start, higher wattage bulb or stock/optional HID, good bars, footpeg that doesn't fall off, and maybe a 6 speed trans would be nice too.

If they make a crf600x and it has the same reliability as the rest of the crf's the value of the 650r as a discontinued bike will go up just because they last. the only reason i bought a 650r is because lower displacement high performance four stroke don't last, and thats not here say, thats been my experiance. Look what happened when honda discontinued the xr400, they flew out of the show rooms and now they sell for all most as much as they were new. as for the 650L i'll bet they won't discontinue them at all.the end of the season this year you couldn't even buy a new one and honda said they have sold a couple of next years already. as a light trail and road bike they are perfect.

But I don't know another dirt bike as overbuilt as the XR650R. It is worth every penny when you use them in their nitch. They still rule the desert. I trust the XR and that is important. If you can't trust a bike to always do it's job what good is it?

I agree completely, which why I bought one. Any replacment will have to be able to last and not need new valves every 15 hours...

I can't think of one example where a new revamped model sucked so bad that it drove the value of the old model up. Can anyone? That'd be a neat story. However, that doesn't mean that an XR650R may not be worth more in the long long run ie. in 50 years, if a market opens up for classic dirtbikes. But in the short run, there's no doubt in my mind that it'll drop in value. THAT'S WHY YOU SHOULD JUST KEEP IT!! Some collector might want it for parts. For what you're going to get for it, you might as well hang on until it's a collector's item, if ever (this is a risk).

I think that'd be really neat if there was Barrett's Auction for dirt bikes. They get so banged up, though, that it probably will be hard to establish this market as a big thing. But I am glad that there is at least a heritage value to old streetbikes (not necessarily Harley's either).

Shed some weight (25lbs. min.), high performance motor, slimmer yet stabile chassis, better stock suspension, e-start, higher wattage bulb or stock/optional HID, good bars, footpeg that doesn't fall off, and maybe a 6 speed trans would be nice too.

You realize you just described the TE 510 Husqvarna?

....except you forgot the part about pumper carb, excell rims, excellent computer/trip meter, 1 year warranty, 50 mm forks, and $7 million dollars of race contingency in the USA!

oh yeah---the Husky comes 50 state street legal....AND there is a motard-version.

Copy the Husky, Honda!!

Any and either way it goes fact still remains the 650R is a great machine.. There was significant effort put into R&D for the bike because it had to replace the bulletproof 600R, not to mention win Baja, those are some big shoes to fill, and you know what ? Honda succeeded.. The 650R is reliable as an anvil, has good power and much better handling than the 600 not to mention water cooling.. That wont be easy to top in a new bike and keep all those attributes.... Besides, they already have the "new" bike , it's the 450.. The 650R is not really in the same class, it's a desert bike... You may see the 450 grow but it wont replace the 650R.. Neither will any single bike.. The BRP will be popular for years to come and I think do nothing but appreciate in value.. I don't see a new bike coming at all, other than a bigger 450.. :applause:

You realize you just described the TE 510 Husqvarna?

....except you forgot the part about pumper carb, excell rims, excellent computer/trip meter, 1 year warranty, 50 mm forks, and $7 million dollars of race contingency in the USA!

oh yeah---the Husky comes 50 state street legal....AND there is a motard-version.

Copy the Husky, Honda!!

No doubt Husky and others, like KTM, are on the right track when it comes to building modern open class bikes. Even Honda built a good open class bike when they made the 650R, it just wasn't modern enough but it has done the job for me so far plus its been the most reliable bike I've ever owned. This point, reliability, brings me to the Husky. I never really payed much attention to them, one of the guys we camp with has a 04 450 Husky (mx model I believe) and it hasn't broken on him but he seems to have trouble starting it, too finicky starting and the estart rarely works. Lots of waiting for him. I did ride it once by camp and this thing hauls though, feels like faster excelleration than my friends' CRF450s. You mention a one year warranty, thats a bold statement by Husky. That would give me more comfort in purchasing one but I don't think I am ready yet. We'll see what the future brings though and for now when I want big thrills I just hop on my CR500AF.

Shed some weight (25lbs. min.), high performance motor, slimmer yet stabile chassis, better stock suspension, e-start, higher wattage bulb or stock/optional HID, good bars, footpeg that doesn't fall off, and maybe a 6 speed trans would be nice too.
You can save some more weight and complexity by sticking with a 5 speed. When you get into the 600 cc range the torque and power of these engines negate any real advantage of a 6 speed as it is nearly impossible to fall out of the power band or worry about steps in the gear range as you might with a 450.

con·jec·ture Audio pronunciation of "conjecture" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (kn-jkchr)

n.

1. Inference or judgment based on inconclusive or incomplete evidence; guesswork.

I'll just wait and see what is offered, then I will make my decision.

I can tell you this for certain. The resale value of the current model XR650R will plummet if they introduce a CRF700X. And it'll get even worse a year out...

Go look at the resale on a 2 year old two stroke motocrosser now...the things are almost free...and they're good bikes too...and they arent selling...especially in CA. Some of the green sticker bikes are doing ok...

Nothing more than the "better mouse trap" syndrome.