Ever DROWNED your XR??

13 replies to this topic
  • azmanxman

Posted December 23, 2005 - 02:54 PM

So I'm miles from anywhere this morning, alone. The stream didn't look that deep from the bank. Wrong. I totally drowned my 600R. I pulled the air cover off and about a gallon of water came out. I wrung-out the air filter and let it dry in the sun a little. I tryed cranking it over and at first hit some real resistance. I had to give it an almight kick to get it to move at all. Nothing. I tryed for half and hour but nothing. I might be paranoid but I dont seem to be getting a much resistance from the kicker (after the intitial one). It just doesn't seem to find that 'spot' where you know this is the one.

Any advice. I figure I'm going to pull the carb. remove the valve covers, drain the oil, remove the plug. Is there anything else I should be doing? Is it possible that I've blown the head gasket or done some other serious engine damage?? Would I be better dropping it off at the local dealer? Please help!!

P.S. After a 7 1/2 mile hike in my Thor's I was rescued by my father-in-law and his truck. In total my 2 hour ride turned into a 9 1/2 hour epic. There's a moral to this story somewhere.

• mmxr650r

Posted December 23, 2005 - 03:37 PM

Craig...I think you will be doing quite a number of oil changes. Had a buddy drop his 650 into the water out by Lake Pleasant, and ended up doing about 6-7 oil changes before the "milky" color was gone (you know, the oil and water not mixing thing). Am sure you will get more replies here, with other thoughts/recommendations...

• Ibis

Posted December 23, 2005 - 03:42 PM

If the stock muffler goes under on an XR600/650, it fills with water and then it gets sucked back into the engine when kicking it over. Remove the muffler and rotate it in several directions to let all of the water drain out. Make sure there's no more water in the header pipes, remove the spark plug, remove and squeeze water from air filter if wet, open the throttle and kick it over until no more water mist sprays out of the spark plug hole. Put in a dry spark plug, full choke, and it should start. Install air cleaner and muffler and continue ride. :applause:

oops, forgot to include---drain float bowl.

• drtlvr

Posted December 23, 2005 - 04:57 PM

never drowned my xr but I did turn my ds650 into a yellow submarine while riding on a not so frozen river,the best thing to use to get rid of the water is sea-foam additive works great,another thing you never want to crank your motor over after you submerge it in water with out taking the spark plug out first,you can bend the crank because the water can't exit fast enough.

good luck

• don87xr600

Posted December 23, 2005 - 05:16 PM

Not that it doesn't exit fast enough, it doesn't compress like air.

• azmanxman

Posted December 23, 2005 - 07:54 PM

Thanks for all the advice chaps. I drained the oil tonight and it was very milky. Removed complete exhaust system and got more water out of it. I turned the engine over by hand and still seem to be moving good air out of the spark plug hole. Hopefully this means the gasket is not gone and things are still OK in there. I did crank it over quite a few times with the plug in there but maybe I got lucky?
I'm gonna buy some cheap oil and run it through several oil changes to flush-out any moisture.
Maybe I'll even get a compression check done just for peace of mind.

Thanks again everyone

• goblin127

Posted December 23, 2005 - 08:37 PM

Been there done that. It shouldnt be a big problem, let the bike sit in a warm place with the oildrain plug open. Also you might want to take a hair dryer to the electronics.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • phuzz

Posted December 23, 2005 - 11:25 PM

Not that it doesn't exit fast enough, it doesn't compress like air.

Word. :applause:

NEVER force an engine suspected of ingesting water. The word here is "hydrolock".

Water does not compress in an internal combustion engine. What happens is rods bend, valves bend, gaskets blow, etc. All *not* good.

Pull the plug, turn/kick it over to attempt to expel the water. If it were me, and water, or water mist came out of the spark plug hole, I'd take it back home and reverse the water damage before I ran it.

• bork

Posted December 24, 2005 - 01:44 PM

Get it runing by these mention tips ASAP !!!! The moisture in motor will make the hardened steel parts rust or pit fast ! (like cam and rockers) Hurry if not sooner ! Good luck !

• exaresix

Posted December 24, 2005 - 06:45 PM

On a group ride in AZ two years ago we had three bikes go completely submerged when we crossed the Verde River near Verde hot springs. First thing done was to stand the bike up on its rear tire vertically with the front tire straight up in the air. This drained the water out of the exhaust. Then the plugs were pulled and the bike kicked over a few times. The bikes fired up. Amazingly, we did not drain the float bowls or wring out the filters.

• Desertskyy

Posted December 25, 2005 - 12:02 PM

I submerged my 650R on a long ride last June in Nevada. We were at least 50 plus miles from nowhere, I was crossing a stream and dumped the bike in a big hole below the surface and went over. The riders behind me all walked their bike across after my mishap. To make a long story short, pulled the tank, plug, seat etc. Flipped the bike completely over on its back and pumped all the water out of everywhere. Also drained the float bowl. A gallon must of came out of the bike. Put it all back together, got it started and continued to finish the remainder of our ride. (About 1000 miles) Hey, its a XR650R. Buy the way, I did'nt even check the oil. Nothing I could do if it was milky anyway. My bike has never missed a beat since.

Posted January 05, 2006 - 08:13 PM

Your oil still be milky after several changes. Let it run for a while with the dipstick removed. This will allow some of the moisture to evaporate. Don't forget to change the oil filter too.

• HondaRules

Posted January 06, 2006 - 07:11 AM

In high school a buddy dump his bike in a creek...funny story how he did it. We were roosting each other that day, he and I were sitting next to the creek when we heard another buddy coming up. He was sitting behind a tree, with his front wheel next to the edge of a 2 ft drop to the creek, relative to the direction our other buddy was coming from. He says to me, "watch this" and starts his bike/puts it in gear/holds the front brake...once the buddy gets behind him, he drops the clutch and lets her roost..in the mean time the front wheel slide off the edge and he/bike fall into the ice cold creek (it was spring, so it was very cold from the snow melting). He jumps up screeming..."My Nuts, My Nuts!!" :bonk: :applause: I yell back at him to get his now drowned bike out of the creek. Anyway, we get the bike out and tear it down...remove exhaust, float bowl plug, etc...and then reassembled. Bike fired up on the 2nd kick. He changed oil once he got home since there was water in the cylinder, but all looked good. Nothing like a good/reliable Honda XR. I was surprised that the head didn't warp or crack from that ice cold water.

• rkuckkahn

Posted January 06, 2006 - 02:43 PM

Any cavity in the bike is suspect for water. Hydro lock will damage engine parts if you try to kick it over.....too hard. Spark plug out, front tire in the air, let it drain. Kick it over with plug out, then try to turn it over in the field. Better yet drag it home to do a complete job. These are not jet skis, never tried a jet ski on land but that wouldn't work either. Sorry it's not fun. Good luck.

There's a site somewhere that described the steps, I think 4strokes.com. When it happened to me it wasn't completely submerged. I did a complete once over with the engine, electronics but do it asap................rust baaaddddd.

Related Content

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.