rotellat oil in an mx bike

37 replies to this topic
  • riderman329

Posted December 23, 2005 - 02:39 PM

Have any of you guys ever tried putting shell rotellat oil in your bikes, its half the price of bel ray thumper oil, and 3 times as much.

We’ve seen a few of Suzuki guys use it. Just wondering if any one has reported using it. My dad also said rotellat is used in heavy equipment, so wouldn't it be good to use in an MX bike??

• Reyndogg

Posted December 23, 2005 - 02:50 PM

ive been using the 5wt synthetic rotella t for years - change ever 4hrs of engine run at the most. No issues at all.

• bg10459

Posted December 23, 2005 - 03:34 PM

I just switched to Rotella T dino in my truck, next oil change in my car, and next change in the bike too. It has been getting great reviews. No sense spending $5 - $10 a quart when you can get the Rotella for about $2.50.
As far as 4 hours between changes, I'd be changing twice a day. Instead, I change every ride, which is usually about 6 to 8 hours of use.
Like they say, change it hot, change it often.

• Vetmxrider

Posted December 23, 2005 - 03:46 PM

I have used Rotella T 15-40 wt. in my 02 YZ426 for a couple of years now, I like the way it works. I'm also using it in my 06 YZ250 as well. I have a good friend that has been running it in a 04 RM250 since the day he bought it and has had great luck as well. It's a commercial grade/rated oil so it holds up well against shearing and at $7.00 a gallon it's a great value. :applause:

• Indy_WR450

Posted December 23, 2005 - 03:54 PM

I have been using Delo 400 which is Chevrons equivelant diesel oil for over a year and over 4,000 miles without issues. I change the oil every weekend so the price is great! :applause:
The oil companies have been killing us for years with their over priced oils. :bonk:

• Reyndogg

Posted December 23, 2005 - 04:00 PM

As far as 4 hours between changes, I'd be changing twice a day. Instead, I change every ride, which is usually about 6 to 8 hours of use.
Like they say, change it hot, change it often.

wow, i would love to see you do 6-8hrs of motocross in one day :applause:

just kidding i know you dont mean mx :bonk:

Are those 6-8hr rides trail, street, both? wow thats a long ride for sure!!

• perrymx23

Posted December 23, 2005 - 04:13 PM

John Deere has an oil that is called +50. It is a 15-40 made by shell to John
Deere's spec's. It's called +50 so that it can go an extra 50hrs in a tractor. It's a great oil. Has additives to extend the life, but I change every 4 hrs. And it's cheaper than rotella.

• 642MX

Posted December 23, 2005 - 04:41 PM

I've used Rotella 15W40 for about 6 months. I think its awesome stuff, I change it every 2-3 rides, probably close to 10 hours.

• jocolo

Posted December 23, 2005 - 05:08 PM

I use the rotella t 5w40 in my 426 and trx400ex no probs at all, $10 a gallon at walmartROTELLA T

• bg10459

Posted December 23, 2005 - 06:36 PM

wow, i would love to see you do 6-8hrs of motocross in one day :applause:

just kidding i know you dont mean mx :cry:

Are those 6-8hr rides trail, street, both? wow thats a long ride for sure!!

No, seriously, I ride around the track for 8 hours, non-stop :bonk: ..... just kidding.
Where I live, there are no legal riding areas, so I have to travel and make a day of it. I usually get to my spot between 8 and 10 am and ride trails all day. Or I'll go to a dual sport event which is an all day affair as well. Unless it's a sanctioned AMA dual sport, I don't ride any street, and I'm not into MX racing.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bruntz505

Posted December 23, 2005 - 08:41 PM

I personally wouldn't run it,just because it has a lot of detergent in it.I'd try Mobil Delvac:equivalent but better and with less detergents.Most of my customers that use Rotella in their OTR trucks complain about oil consumption,which is mostly due to the detergents.

• Chas_M

Posted December 23, 2005 - 11:14 PM

Diesel oils contain the correct types and amounts of detergents and anti wear additives that are suitable for motorcycle engines. In fact all of the auto clutch manufacturers recommend either Rotella or Delo 400 15/40 dino diesel oils. :applause:

• grayracer513

Posted December 24, 2005 - 11:45 AM

Engine oil is supposed to have dispersants (detergent) in it so that it can suspend and transport debris to the filter.

My only concern with Rotella is in relation to its shear stability. Multigrade oils are created by starting with a light base stock, is this case, 5 weight, and adding Viscosity Index Improvers (VII's) to it in order to prevent it from thinning in a normal manner as it heats up. The result is an oil that pours like a 5 wt. at 70 degrees, but like a straight 40 wt at 212. Unfortunately, most VII's are physically fragile, and the transmission in a YZF will grind them up in very short order (as little as 2 hours). You can then be left with a 5w-20 before you know what happened. The wider the spread between the winter and operating viscosities, the more additives are needed, and the more potentially vulnerable the oil is. For example, a 5w-40 would be more suspect than a 20w-40.

This can be avoided by using VII's created for use in transmissions in the first place, but these cost more, and unless the oil in question was made to be used as a transmission lubricant, its viscosity shear stability becomes a valid question that can only be answered by analyzing a used sample (unless some test documentation is available.)

In the case of Rotella, a number of people use it successfully, which may mean that it's reasonably shear stable. So far, I haven't seen a used sample analysis to support or condemn the oil of this point, so I just don't know.

But some oils formulated for use as wet clutch motorcycle oils don't suffer from much viscosity loss at all. In tests using the ASTM D-6278 methodology, Bel Ray EXS, Golden Spectro 4, Maxima Maxum 4 lost some viscosity, but stayed in grade. Motul 300v Comp (50wt), Torco T4SR (50wt), Mobil 1 MX4T and V-Twin, and Amsoil MCF and MCV Synthetic Motorcycle Oil (different from their Synthetic Motorcycle Engine Oil, lost little or no viscosity after 120 shear cycles, or 4 repetitions of the same test on the same oil sample. 26 oils were tested, and only those listed passed this particular test. All of them were motorcycle oils, and no tests were conducted on non-motorcycle specific oils, so this test doesn't show how well or how badly any of them stack up. The fact that a brand is represented in the results does not mean you should draw any conclusions about any other product that brand offers except that specified.

That particular Amsoil product in fact carries an API grade of GL-1, making it a legitimate gear lube along with the engine oil gradings of SG, SL/CF, and JASO MA. As a result of this information and the low price compared to MX4T, I've switched to Amsoil. This has been only recently, so I have no long term observations to offer, but so far, I like it.

• ACE_269

Posted December 24, 2005 - 08:59 PM

If you're gonna use Rotella T , I recommend using the Synthetic ( blue container). I use it and have used it on my street bike. I noticed a 5 degree cruising temp ( lower) on my R6 when I changed to Rotella Synthetic, and the oil was half as beat up after 4,000 miles when I changed it

Watch out for anything that says "energy conserving" on the circle on the back of the container. It is bad for engines that have a wet clutch.

• grayracer513

Posted December 24, 2005 - 09:53 PM

... and the oil was half as beat up after 4,000 miles when I changed it

Unless you did an oil analysis, what do you mean, and how do you know? If you did, tell us what you found out, particularly about the sus viscosity at 100 degrees C. BTW, a lot of guys are happy with the 15w-40 dino version of Rotella, too.

Watch out for anything that says "energy conserving II" on the circle on the back of the container. It is potentially bad for engines that have a wet clutch.

two words added (in bold) to render the statement completely correct :applause:

• ACE_269

Posted December 25, 2005 - 09:02 PM

Thanks GrayRacer for correcting me, I hate to continue to be incorrect. On the oil being "beat up", I didnt do any technical analysis but I could tell that it visibly looked dirtier- more of a grayish color, and didnt feel to the touch that it had as much viscosity. So it seemed to "break down" sooner. We are talking about an R6 that ran around 12k to 15.5K rpm most of the time.

I was turned on to Rotella Synthetic after reading some articles from this website. The author seemed to ahve done alot of research.

http://motorcycleinf...mables.html#Oil

• grayracer513

Posted December 25, 2005 - 09:12 PM

Remember that the viscosity shear down changes only the viscosity at operating temperature (212 F), not at room temps, so once again, it isn't something you can see, unfortunately.

The shear issue is one of the things that makes frequent oil changes so important, and in the end, that's far more significant than which oil you choose.

• 642MX

Posted December 26, 2005 - 10:53 AM

Grayracer, where can I send a sample of my used Rotella to? I'm interested in how it holds up.

• kzoo

Posted December 26, 2005 - 07:50 PM

Grayracer, where can I send a sample of my used Rotella to? I'm interested in how it holds up.

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/

• 642MX

Posted December 26, 2005 - 07:52 PM

Thanks kzoo.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.