Desert/rocky condition front tire

I'm using the Scorpion Pro and seems to work really well. No sign of wear after 10 months and 700 miles.

i just put on the scorpion pro(mt83) and am quite impressed with it so far on gravel and dirt, havn't tried it yet on rocks and muddy rocks,the braking power is amazing. put it on with a mt16 rear,man that thing digs! maxxis may have lost a customer :applause:

ARin,

I live in the Colorado Rockies and ride nothing but rocks. If it isn't rock, it's decomposed rock, or the tiny stuff called sand. I have settled on a Maxxis 6001 (3.25 x 1) front, which is a directional enduro tire. Like the Maxxis IT on the rear, the 6001 has huge side knobs and a wide profile for slaming rock, a directional pattern for sand work and tracking straight in rocky washouts. It lasts as long as the IT rear, which is legendary, and is priced right too. Don't go with the metric size in front, use the 3.25x1, it's bigger and better.

Years ago Metzeler ruled the front tire wars in the desert, just ordered my first set of tires and 12 years and bought a set of the intermediate Metzler- the MC5- from imotorcyclestore.com and they were 118 bucks total to my door. I hope these last like they use to because they were always the longest lasting tire on the market back then. Wemt up to a 120/100 for the rear to match my lower gearing- hope it works out well.

Are they as cheap as the Maxxis?

I switched from the it to the si on your recomendation and was very impressed.

Let me know if the mt83 is as good as the si in all conditions.

yep they are about the same,maybe a few dollars more. man if this thing works in the rocks as good as it does on dirt and sand it'll blow the SI out of the water. the braking power is unbelievable. the mt83/16 combo seems very good. i like trying different things out,i figured if it was worse than the SI at least i know what to go back to. they are DOT approved and seem very tough,we'll see after a real ride though. :applause: i believe metzler was bought by pirelli,and the mt16 is a copy of one of them:ride:

Years ago Metzeler ruled the front tire wars in the desert, just ordered my first set of tires and 12 years and bought a set of the intermediate Metzler- the MC5- from imotorcyclestore.com and they were 118 bucks total to my door. I hope these last like they use to because they were always the longest lasting tire on the market back then. Went up to a 120/100 for the rear to match my lower gearing- hope it works out well.

They are wicked tyres! Even the MC6 is like a paddle tyre that just hooks up great! They last pretty good, as the tread pattern is well designed, not small soft knobbies.

I'm liking the dunlop 952's right now, they work great on the harder stuff. The weather has turned to slop now:applause:, they still work great.

They hook up good on hardpack and rock. The hard carcass helps with impacts too.

If you need a sand tire they ( metzeler ) are the clear choice, DUMONT, GLAMIS, PISMO, JAWBONE was the places I used them. I have ridden Nevada here AArin rides and find it more Rocky but I would still go the Metzeler on the front.. Yhe MC5 has alot of space between the small knobs but feel strong as hell.

ARin,

Try the Pirelli MT-18 HD on the front. I had tried "everything", on my XR650R, and until this tire, I did not know how well the front could track, and steer, in the AZ desert, and Colorado rockies. This is the best front tire I ever used off-road (not moto). The next off-road steed I have, will have this on it. I was amazed at how good this tire was...and was led to it by the Team Honda guys. Hengeveld runs the Dunlop 606, but was running this as well. If you get up over the bars, I don't think there is a better tire for what you are asking about...Try it...

--Mitch

Anyone have any good suggestions? The dunlop that came on the bike is just slightly better than a drag slick at this point.

I need something that will give me some longevity.

What is the best set of tires for all around riding? I ride at Jawbone, dove springs, gorman, ballinger. Anything from sand to rocky conditions, but not too much rock. What would you recomend. I'm using the stock 739's on my wr426 and they seem to do pretty well, but I'm sure someone makes something much better. Thanks.