WTF is up with my chain.

34 replies to this topic
  • grayracer513

Posted December 24, 2005 - 09:47 PM

There have been discussions aplenty on this subject, and a search will turn up more than you want to read. What is it that you want to know, more specifically? Maybe we can point you somewhere.

• dodge03

Posted December 24, 2005 - 11:12 PM

my 450 haas the original chain and i ride in alot of sand and rocky terrain if yours has stretched replace it with an oring type but if you feel a little side play that is normal. when you think something is worng or broken more likely than not it is just your imagination people tend to replace parts before they are realy worn.

• aford541

Posted December 24, 2005 - 11:34 PM

Mine seemed to last longer this year because I have ran the chain with more slack in it than in previous years.

• BC3

Posted December 27, 2005 - 06:26 PM

Thats one of the first things we do to a new bike....Take the stock chain off and give it to someone that needs a chain for their beater bike......

• Matty05

Posted December 27, 2005 - 06:50 PM

http://www.quality-c...ycle_chains.htm

what a bunch of dribble! Which brand chains do they sell again???

Regina make great chains, they make the renthal chains too! European manufacturing standards are the best in the world. That is a real world fact.

My "crappy OEM" o-ring chain on my WR450F is just fine after 3000kms. I would expect it to be.
I will only change it when I feel like changing my sprockets (still great condition) for a different size.

• GENE426

Posted December 27, 2005 - 07:17 PM

non-o-ring DID ERT Gold Chain

• grayracer513

Posted December 27, 2005 - 07:21 PM

My "crappy OEM" o-ring chain on my WR450F is just fine after 3000kms. I would expect it to be.

Me too. Unfortunately, the YZ450 was not so well equipped.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SureBlue

Posted December 27, 2005 - 09:53 PM

what a bunch of dribble! Which brand chains do they sell again???

Regina make great chains, they make the renthal chains too! European manufacturing standards are the best in the world. That is a real world fact.

I will only change it when I feel like changing my sprockets (still great condition) for a different size.

It is actually good educational reading for anybody if you forget the commercial part of it.
YZ stock chain is one of the first parts to be taken out when the bike comes home. And back again on when the bike gets sold.

non-o-ring DID ERT Gold Chain

My choice too this time. Had it on my 125 and it was absolutely fine when properly cleaned and oiled with care.

• DaisyCutter

Posted December 27, 2005 - 10:48 PM

I'm actually partial to the RK chains. I've got 2+ years of hard riding/racing/duning on my ~70 RK oring chain. The whole time it's been mounted on a 2001 CR500. That chain has seen 3 different top-ends.

• deej

Posted December 27, 2005 - 10:56 PM

Huh, so my parts guy was right when he told me that almost all if not all new bikes come with junk chains, the cheapest ones around, and he also told me to get a new one soon, I thought he was just trying to sell me parts I didn't need, thanks guys for sheding light on this.

• GENE426

Posted December 28, 2005 - 05:38 AM

Huh, so my parts guy was right when he told me that almost all if not all new bikes come with junk chains, the cheapest ones around, and he also told me to get a new one soon, I thought he was just trying to sell me parts I didn't need, thanks guys for sheding light on this.

They will put Pro Taper fat bars and Dunlop 756 tires but they put a $10.00 chain on a bike that cost $7000 bucks

JUST a joke if ya ask me
and on a 450 is nutz mine will tear one up in 2-3 rides at the track and during that ya got to adjust the chain like 3 times + it screws up the stock sprockets too

• Matty05

Posted December 28, 2005 - 02:57 PM

It is actually good educational reading for anybody if you forget the commercial part of it.
YZ stock chain is one of the first parts to be taken out when the bike comes home. And back again on when the bike gets sold.

Definately agree, but too commercial! All they should have said is that o-ring chains are better than non o-ring chains. X-ring chains are better than o-ring chains. They could have saved a page full of waffle!

YZ's only have crap chain because of the weight savings hey?

• GENE426

Posted December 29, 2005 - 05:59 AM

Definately agree, but too commercial! All they should have said is that o-ring chains are better than non o-ring chains. X-ring chains are better than o-ring chains. They could have saved a page full of waffle!

YZ's only have crap chain because of the weight savings hey?

WHAT HONDAS COME WITH GOOD CHAINS?
NOT :bonk: :applause:

• DPW

Posted December 29, 2005 - 06:32 AM

a classic...http://www.thumperta...71&parentpage=2

• SureBlue

Posted December 29, 2005 - 08:24 AM

a classic...http://www.thumperta...71&parentpage=2

Yea, a true classic from August 2003, hehe.
One of the 4 members has started soaking his chain full time in 90w gear oil almost 2 years ago and the other one 3 months ago in September when he was kicked out from these forums. :bonk:
I wonder how many of us remove the chain after each ride, cleans it and soaks it in gear oil..
Not to mention the guy who opens up the old post and thanks the guys who posted this over 2 years ago like it happened yesterday :applause:
Well maybe better late than ever.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.