WTF is up with my chain.

34 replies to this topic
  • kawirider

Posted December 23, 2005 - 07:19 AM

Well I have had my bike for about a month and a half, and it has almost destroyed the chain. The other day I noticed it was slack so I go to feel it, and it has a lot of play side to side. I lube it before every ride, is this just something that big bore 4 strokes have a problem with? I have been lugging it quite a bit, enough to where I can here the chain rattling, but I wouldnt think that that could cause to to wear out like it has. Any knowledge on this guys?

• fastbyfrank

Posted December 23, 2005 - 07:54 AM

if it is the factory chain, they wear out fast, real fast. mine lasted aproximately 10 hours,(04yz450f). i now run a rk racingx-chain and it still looks good after 30 hours. :applause:

• MotoNatz88

Posted December 23, 2005 - 08:21 AM

yeah factory chains blow. you need to go with an o-ring or an x-ring chain. rk's are cheap and good. I personally run a D.I.D. but only because it came with the bike.

• SureBlue

Posted December 23, 2005 - 09:02 AM

Posted Image

Yes, the stock chain sucks. Look at the difference between a new Renthal R3 O-ring chain and a stock chain with 8 hours on it. Think what that chain could do to your case if it got off the sprocket...

• flintlock28

Posted December 23, 2005 - 09:42 AM

Yep, Same as the other guys stated: the original chain is a piece of junk that just will continue to stretch no matter how meticulously it is maintained.

Do yourself a favor and get rid of that chain before it stretches too much and ruins the sprockets.

I had the same thing happen with my stock chain, and I replaced it with a Regina ORN chain, along with Ironman Sprockets. The new chain stretched very slightly twice, and now remains static.

• bigdrtrdr

Posted December 23, 2005 - 10:31 AM

If you buy a brand new bike, Replace the chain before you even ride it.
When you sell the bike put it back on.
Now you can say it even has a new chain to your customer.

• ride yzf all the way

Posted December 23, 2005 - 12:46 PM

same here org. sucks ass

• BIGBLUEKNIGHT

Posted December 23, 2005 - 12:50 PM

d.i.d. o rings are great chains but i switching to an x ring next

• SureBlue

Posted December 23, 2005 - 01:00 PM

I'm going to try the non-o-ring DID ERT Gold Chain this time on my 450 even though I have 2 new Renthal O-rings on my shelf. It was OK on my pinger.

• new2blue450

Posted December 23, 2005 - 01:43 PM

whats the differance between the o and x rings?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SureBlue

Posted December 23, 2005 - 01:56 PM

http://www.quality-c...ycle_chains.htm

• new2blue450

Posted December 23, 2005 - 02:02 PM

not to be a *****, but i think the easiest answer to a question like that is "buy a new one"....BTW thanks for that link...

• kawirider

Posted December 23, 2005 - 09:01 PM

This is not the stock chain. Its an '03 and the guy I bought it from had it from new. It is definately not the stock chain. He said that it was a new O-ring chain that had 4 motos on it. Since the one I have is obviousley near the end of its life, what would you guys recomend for a very long lasting chain. I dont care about cost (within reason. under $120) I just want a chain that will last a long time. I guess it just seems very weird for me, seeing as my 125 could go for 8-10 months on the same chain.

• bruntz505

Posted December 23, 2005 - 10:19 PM

Do what I did on my 250f.Pull that scrap iron off and replace.Look up Sportcycle Outlet on the net.They have AFAM/DID chain/sprocket combos for $129.I put a DID ERT gold non-oring on,and have only had to adjust twice in about twenty rides.The AFAM sprockets are the best money buys IMO,when my 450 needs a chain,this is what I'll buy.

• jrcgaf364

Posted December 24, 2005 - 04:09 AM

i would go with the sidewinder ti_moly o-ring chain , i have gotten a phenomenal amount of wear from mine.

• CRFThumper

Posted December 24, 2005 - 03:25 PM

DID erv-2 It is by far the best chain I have ever used!As far as sprockets I like the sidewinder tri-metal! I can get a years riding out of this setup and that is riding/racing EVERY weekend!This is not a cheap setup but it is the best I have ever had!PM sirthumpalot and talk to him!

• grayracer513

Posted December 24, 2005 - 03:46 PM

Remember in reading the link from SureBlue that it was written with a rather clear bias against Regina chains. Much of the information is correct at the core, but let me point out that my experience with Reginas has been much better than with DID. I have run 3 Regina ORN chains (not even the top of the line) for at least 1 1/2 years. One is that old and nowhere near needing replacement. The DID X ring that I tried at a $10 higher price has lasted reasonably well, but has needed more adjustment, has stretched more, and never ran as free as the Reginas do.

OTOH, tensile strength IS overrated, and anything much over about 6.000 lbs. is really only a factor if you are in the habit of having your chain so tight that it runs out of slack at mid travel.

An the O-ring weight an drag questions are pretty silly, too. How much do 240 1/4" O-rings weigh, do you think? As far as drag, keep in mind that at any moment, only 8 rings are being rotated, and only the 4 at the front sprocket are moving as much as 20 degrees. If you think there's a power loss there, let's see it on a dyno.

• SureBlue

Posted December 24, 2005 - 07:24 PM

True Gray, I was also wondering what they had against Reginas. It is however a commercial site selling DID and RK. They also claim Reginas are overpriced, but I remember you said it was not only a good chain but even cheaper than others. :applause:
I found the link anyway useful and understandably written.
Once again, you have good points in your post.

• grayracer513

Posted December 24, 2005 - 07:32 PM

I couldn't figure out the overpriced thing either. As I said, I paid $10 mre for the comparble DID than my ORN's. For anyone that's interested, here's a good deal:

http://www.qualitysm...man/ironman.htm

Go down about halfway to the chain packages. The ZRH for $89 is everything an ERV or ERT2 is.

• kawirider

Posted December 24, 2005 - 07:47 PM

Do what I did on my 250f.Pull that scrap iron off and replace.Look up Sportcycle Outlet on the net.They have AFAM/DID chain/sprocket combos for $129.I put a DID ERT gold non-oring on,and have only had to adjust twice in about twenty rides.The AFAM sprockets are the best money buys IMO,when my 450 needs a chain,this is what I'll buy.

I am not exactly worrying about the sprockets right now, seeing as it came with a spare set of ironman sprockets. I am confused with what people are saying about the chains, could someone just give me some direct links to what they are recomending?

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.