Do you think my YZ is dead?

38 replies to this topic
  • BergArabia

Posted December 26, 2005 - 07:49 AM

Thanks sureblue I'll take your tip and get them to look at the oil pump.
It looks like they will have plenty of time to do that...

• SureBlue

Posted December 26, 2005 - 08:03 AM

every time there has been an engine failure where elevated temps have been involved (running without coolant or oil) it is good to replace the waterpump and the oilpump, a good advice I got from a car mechanic when I fixed my Mini Coopers in the 80's...

• SureBlue

Posted December 26, 2005 - 08:13 AM

Berg, are you doing private teaching or at a public school down there? You should make friends with a wealthy Sheikh to buy you a new bike. No, SEVERAL new bikes :applause: :bonk:

• BergArabia

Posted December 26, 2005 - 08:14 AM

The water pump is just an impellor on a rod isn't it? The oil pump is that down in the crank case? I mean if it is down there it is going to cost a lot just to get it opened up well another 100 bucks at least. Still I guess better safe than sorry..

On the WR thing. I know you are getting the 06 YZ450 Sureblue, but have you read about the relative difficulty in access to the engine on the alu frames? Is it a factor worth considering or not?

I teach in a government college., you can't really call it public as it is not open to the general public, only locals. So I teach locals and I have met a Sheikh or 2 and have had some good offers, but the deal always was I had to give an A grade first... :applause:

• SureBlue

Posted December 26, 2005 - 08:28 AM

The water pump is just an impellor on a rod isn't it? The oil pump is that donw in the bottom case? I mean if it is down their it is going to cost a lot just to get it opened up. Still I guess better safe than sorry..

On the WR thing. I know you are getting the 06 YZ450 sureblue, but have you read about the relatie difficulty in access to trhe engine on the alu frames? Is it a factor worth considering or not?

I don't think you need to replace the waterpump, but it sure does no harm to check the oilpump.

The new frame is designed so that you can pull the head off without removing the whole engine from the frame. Checking valve clearances I hear is a bit more difficult, but can be done. You have access to the carb by removing the hot start and twisting it to replace jets. Or then remove the subframe and remove the carb totally.
Other than that I don't think it matters, you really don't need to consider that, these should run pretty reliable even though we still don't know about the new engine. It is however pretty much same proven basic design as the older ones. They are bullet proof if you remember to tighten the drain plugs...
sorry, couldn't resist, no harm intended :applause:

• BergArabia

Posted December 26, 2005 - 08:34 AM

They are bullet proof if you remember to tighten the drain plugs...
sorry, couldn't resist, no harm intended :cry:

lol Yeah well I had my cry, I might as well have a little laugh about it now... :applause:

Just on that bulletproof thing. Sure out of the factory, untouched by non-Japanese hands they are a work of beauty. But what about after they have been worked on by average Joe mechanic. I mean if the parts are very well designed average Joe should be able to get her back to near new. But if it is a bit tricky then I might be worried. What about a YZ after it has had piston and cylinder replaced. Still bulletproof if you keep the drainbolt tight? Or maybe I should unload it and get a Japanese only hands new model..... :bonk:

• SureBlue

Posted December 26, 2005 - 08:41 AM

Nice to hear you understand humor, buddy. But I bet you will never need to face that problem again, and sharing that incident with us sure will prevent that from happening to SEVERAL other riders. I know I have been doublechecking that plug ever since I stopped aside my friend and told him there's oil dripping from his bike...
What do you teach in the college there?

• BergArabia

Posted December 26, 2005 - 08:47 AM

Yeah I hope it might save somebody a similar fate and I sure as heck will make sure it doesn't happen to me again.

I teach Information Technology and Accounting. My Master's degree is Accounting but in a prior life I worked as a programmer in a phone company in OZ.. no wonder my best freinds now are the motocycle mechanics hahah... well at least they talk to me...:applause: You don't think that is just because I pay them do you.. lol..

• grayracer513

Posted December 26, 2005 - 09:09 AM

The oil pump is that down in the crank case? I mean if it is down there it is going to cost a lot just to get it opened up well another 100 bucks at least. Still I guess better safe than sorry..

..What about a YZ after it has had piston and cylinder replaced. Still bulletproof if you keep the drainbolt tight?

The oil pump is located under the right crankcase cover, and can be serviced easily with the engine in place. The pump assembly, if needed, costs about $100, and the return pump rotor assembly is another $13 (retail). The pump should be checked for damage to the rotors, the chamber in the case where the return rotor runs, the rotor separator plate, and the pump housing.

There are, as in any line of work, mechanics who are competent and conscientious, and those who are not one or the other, or either. Done right, a rebuilt engine is at least as good as it was when it left the factory. It was built as a mass production product. In the hands of a good technician, it becomes a hand built engine. So, it's important to choose your mechanic wisely.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 450_rider

Posted December 26, 2005 - 10:19 AM

Hey Berg,
Where abouts in the U.A.E. do you live? I use to live in Dubai when i was a little kid lots have probably changed since then eh.
....sorry off topic....

• BergArabia

Posted December 26, 2005 - 02:25 PM

Thanks guys will go and have a long chat with the mechanic tomorrow. We are on freindly terms..
The oil pump will get a little bit of a checkout service..
450_rider I sent you a PM. Dubai is a fast changing place.. kind of scarey that way..

:applause:

• BergArabia

Posted December 28, 2005 - 07:28 AM

Good news.

My mechanic friends have been able to locate the top end parts needed, piston cylinder, gaskets etc. and they are in the shop now.

Tomorrow it is going back together and then we will see how she is..

If all is well I will break her in on Friday.

Here is a crazy thought I had.. I might go buy me a brand new 05 YZ 450 here and sell this one off. Mechanic says I should get about 5,000 for it.. I'll try and get a deal on the new one as even here in Dubai the 06s can't be far off.

I would take all my mods (what mods? well nothing much, paddle tire, o-ring chain and promotobillet kickstand) put them on the new bike and put the brand new original tire and chain on my old one. I could also swap the plastics and she would look sweet for sale. (The way I ride I am just going to mess up the plastics in a few weeks anyways) and I am never going to use that lightweight chain for anything but backup anyways. This would cost me money but I would be buying peace of mind..

Yeah I'll lose a little but not really that much if I get that price. Even if I get 4500. I'll only be 2000 out of pocket plus the repairs I am doing now and I'll have a brand new bike.. Better than having the thought in the back of my mind that I might have bearings fail on me..

Am I being paranoid or is this reasonable?

• MotoGoalie

Posted December 28, 2005 - 07:53 AM

Berg;

Sounds like you have a good plan on getting a new bike.

First thing......safety wire. :applause:

• 00YZ426FMRCD

Posted December 28, 2005 - 08:32 AM

Man what a bummer Berg. When you ride & work on these things, shit is going to happen. The 05 plan is a good idea. Option B would be to sell your 05 once you get it back and buy a new 06. :applause:

• SureBlue

Posted December 28, 2005 - 09:52 AM

It is a good idea if you won't get peace of mind and you'll be only thinking about the bearings...
But in the hands of a skilled mechanic it will be good as new, or better as gray said. You'll end up paying a high price for a bike you already have. After one month nobody else knows it is not your "original" bike.
Or if you can sell it now and wait a month to get a '06... oh, didn't you say it is a prime season for riding now, in that case are you willing to miss some of it? :applause:

• BergArabia

Posted December 29, 2005 - 08:12 AM

She Lives..
All back together with new piston rings and cylinder..
Seems to run perfect.. Even seems to start easier than before. Actually I am starting it in a sitting position Either it is easier to start or I have finally figured out the starting routine..

No strange noises.. Heard something but then realised it was the chain same as before..

Rode for an hour gentle to medium pace. Oil coming out tommorow morning ahead of a longer harder ride... Safety wire going on also. I bought an extra drain bolt and some wire for about 3$ total and drilled the little hole. Will put that in with oil change tomorrow..

Total cost parts and labor : $544.00

Cheaper than the big bore kit I was thinking of..

Now thinking I will keep the bike at least a few more months.

But I did check out the prices again at Yamaha dealer here. They have the 06 YZ450s in and the price is: $6661 and it is OTD because no tax here at all.

They have one 05 YZ450 in for $5982 OTD.. Still thinking of maybe going for the new one I think I could get $5000 for mine this would mean only a 1000 dollar output but like I said bike feels like new at the moment.. :applause: :bonk:

Sorry for the lame post but I am definitely happier than a few days ago and just had to post something.. :cry: :cry: :cry:

• SureBlue

Posted December 29, 2005 - 08:37 AM

Berg, I'm happy for you man! The repair was cheap and if you can get a '06 with a 1000 bucks output, it is a steal! :applause: :bonk:

• BergArabia

Posted December 29, 2005 - 08:42 AM

If it sounds too good to be true it is because it is..
1000 would be my output to get into a new 05 turning over my 6 month old one.
To get the 06 it would be more like 1700...

Still I am happy at the moment and thanks for the encouragement. :applause:

• SureBlue

Posted December 29, 2005 - 08:48 AM

Oh sorry, my bad, I was never good in maths.. :applause:
Most important is that you are smiling again. I think you were quite down some days ago.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.