Cold weather starting ('05 WR450)

8 replies to this topic
  • TBone_Boston

Posted December 23, 2005 - 03:04 AM

I want to know if what I am experiencing is normal.

On real cold days (less than 35 F) its almost impossible to start my bike. EStart is useless and kicking it feels like a stairstepper.

Also when I engage the clutch and put it in gear the clutch doesnt seem to work. I can pull the bike backwards but when I push it forward the wheel stays locked up.

Can I assume the the oil is just thick as a brick and THATS why so much trouble? I end up rocking it back and forth until the clutch engages and I can push it forward (warm up the oil?) and then I can kick it over. So i'm wondeing is this normal? And am I hurting anything by forcing the clutch like that?

• Indy_WR450

Posted December 23, 2005 - 04:23 AM

Get a 72 or 75 starter jet for cold days ( you will not need to turn the throttle at all during the starting cycle). The bike will e-start down to about 30 degrees without problems. Yes the cold clutch will grab. let the bike warm up for 2 or 3 minutes when it is that cold. Evaluate your clutch for issues only after riding it for a few minutes. :applause:

• yam314

Posted December 23, 2005 - 07:18 AM

Indy i s right. I just installed a #72 starter jet in yesterday, and Man!, that bike fires right away. It used to take forever,and I would eventually have to kick it before the battery ran down.

• mtrablue

Posted December 23, 2005 - 07:54 AM

also think about the oil you have in there. if you haven't already, change to some fresh 10w-30. you may have some guys up that way using even lighter.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • John M62

Posted December 23, 2005 - 10:35 AM

Mine is hard to start also. I find if I kick it about four times with the ignition off and choke on, then turn it on and use the electric start, it fires up .

• PumpkinHumper

Posted December 23, 2005 - 11:12 AM

Yamaha makes a cold weather formula motor oil. I use in the winter for my YZ400 and my kids TTR90. It is thiner than the normal oil and turn over easier when cold.

The starter jet makes a huge diff when starting. Listen to the wise indy...

• TBone_Boston

Posted December 23, 2005 - 11:32 AM

I'll look into the new jetting first. I don't expect to ride much during the Winter but I do at least like to fire it up every week or so to keep the juices flowing.

Thanks again!

• tmckeown

Posted December 23, 2005 - 11:37 AM

My brother had the same problem. I changed slow jet to #48 and opened up fuel screw to 2 turns on his bike voilá :applause: He has stock exhaust so if you have something more opened up you might need even bigger slow jet.

Timo Mc

• Moondogger

Posted December 23, 2005 - 09:23 PM

Also when I engage the clutch and put it in gear the clutch doesnt seem to work. I can pull the bike backwards but when I push it forward the wheel stays locked up.

I had the same thing happen to me after my bike sat for a long time in the garage. The oil got thick and the clutch wasn't engaging. No harm done. After the bike warmed up, the clutch worked fine.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.