Cracked Front Rim!!!!

13 replies to this topic
  • trickwarrior

Posted December 22, 2005 - 08:37 PM

Ok, Well last weekend we were out for a good ride with a few other guys and sure enough 'm the guy to get the falt tire. My front tire was blown , so I limped it back to the truck and started to change it out when I noticed the rim had a small crack in the edge. What do I do boys, can it be repaired, better yet an inexpensive replacement? Anyone one have one they want o part with? Are there other Yammers from the 99 era that the front rim or whole wheel will work for me? Thanks for the help. :applause:

• tmckeown

Posted December 22, 2005 - 10:24 PM

Hi,

Just a rim will cost you $100 (Excel rim) and then you need a spokeset which around $50.

That's all you need.

Timo Mc

• Indy_WR450

Posted December 23, 2005 - 04:39 AM

Replace that rim immediately! You dont want it disintegrating at high speed! :bonk: Too risky to try to fix. :applause:

• RichBaker

Posted December 23, 2005 - 12:40 PM

You don't need a spoke set....just the rim, and it may be weldable. I've done it before and it lasted another year or so....on an XR600.

• SJMC_DON

Posted December 23, 2005 - 12:47 PM

Check e-bay, I think the fronts from all Yams have been the same for a while except the 03' and newer WR's. (I don't think you can get a YZ seal on the right side, even with a spacer), anyway you might have to lose the ODO if you go with a YZ wheel but I see them quite often on e-bay, but the new EXCEL or Pro-Wheel option might be easiest, if your hub is good I would do that :applause:

• trickwarrior

Posted December 23, 2005 - 07:04 PM

Wonderful TT member PMed me this afternoon with a front and rear rim froma 99yz400f. This is where it gets good. He is sending them to me for frieght only. Incredible human at X mas. Just sunk 296 in my trucks cooling system today. What does it take to get this thing laced up? Can I do it myself? My local dealer wants 150 to lace it up and 65 for spokes. Thanks again for the rims you rock.....

• NavyNuke

Posted December 23, 2005 - 07:27 PM

lacing is pretty easy, truing is a bit tougher. Ask your dealer how much to true them after you lace the wheel up. Just look at how they come apart, and they go back together the same way. Do the spokes cross 2 or 3 other spokes ect.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SJMC_DON

Posted December 23, 2005 - 07:55 PM

That was too cool :applause: As gracious as it was for this person to give you the rims, remeber that the YZ rear is a 19" and while you can get the correct spokes and mount it up to your WR, most off roaders prefer the 18" rear wheel, you can put a taller tire on that will offer better protection from blunt impacts especially when aired down.........

I still can't believe the guy gave you the rims, that is really cool :bonk:

• minion

Posted December 23, 2005 - 09:48 PM

Wonderful TT member PMed me this afternoon with a front and rear rim froma 99yz400f. This is where it gets good. He is sending them to me for frieght only. Incredible human at X mas. Just sunk 296 in my trucks cooling system today. What does it take to get this thing laced up? Can I do it myself? My local dealer wants 150 to lace it up and 65 for spokes. Thanks again for the rims you rock.....

I've never done a 'truing' of the spokes before, but I belive you just need to get them to the correct tension all the way around. I've seen spoke torque wrenches for around $90. You may see if anyone replies to my post and can confirm or deny that that is all you need to do. I've considered buying one of those wrenches myself, so I can do it the proper way, rather than by ear.

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted December 23, 2005 - 10:30 PM

I laced my Excels without a problem. It's not as bad as you would think. The spokes dictate where the hub resides in the wheel. Truing the wheel is more tough than lacing.

• Matty05

Posted December 24, 2005 - 05:54 AM

Check e-bay, I think the fronts from all Yams have been the same for a while except the 03' and newer WR's. (I don't think you can get a YZ seal on the right side, even with a spacer), anyway you might have to lose the ODO if you go with a YZ wheel but I see them quite often on e-bay, but the new EXCEL or Pro-Wheel option might be easiest, if your hub is good I would do that :applause:

Didn't Clark get some flash blue ones for real cheap? It might be a good time to change to coloured rims if you want to.

• RichBaker

Posted December 27, 2005 - 11:09 AM

I've wire-tied the spokes at the middle crossing. Once they're all tied, you just undo the nipples and take the hub/spokes out of the rim and set them into the new rim...make sure it's in the same orientation as the old one. Put the spokes thru their holes and run the nipples on, then take it to the dealer/shop (doesn't have to be Eastside...) and have an experienced Mechanic true it...

• clark4131

Posted December 27, 2005 - 11:30 AM

Didn't Clark get some flash blue ones for real cheap? It might be a good time to change to coloured rims if you want to.

Yep, I got a rear rim for around $65 delivered. The guy is going to email me when he gets some more in. Don't worry, I'll share...after I get mine first of course :applause: ...SC

• trickwarrior

Posted December 27, 2005 - 05:19 PM

Thanks Rich, that is just what i'm going to do.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.