Rekluse vs Scotts Dampener

30 replies to this topic
  • Punisher660

Posted December 22, 2005 - 03:26 PM

Looking to get an opinion from people that have used both -
If you were only able to get either the Rekluse Clutch or a Scotts Steering Dampener - what would you get and why?
:applause:

• clark4131

Posted December 22, 2005 - 03:27 PM

Scotts...Safety First! The thing has saved my butt countless times. I've taken it off just to see what it would be like and things felt way too squirrelly. This is the first dirt bike I've had with a damper and I don't know how I rode without one. The Rekluse fans will likely tell you the same thing though...SC

• BIGBLUEKNIGHT

Posted December 22, 2005 - 04:02 PM

they are both great i have a scotts and my dad has a rekluse and a scotts
it all depends on what you ride. rekluse is great in tight stuff. but i will never ride without a scotts

• Indy_WR450

Posted December 22, 2005 - 04:59 PM

I have both. All 3 of my bikes have Scotts on them! Best crash protection money can buy! I have a Rekluse on my WR that is so sweet in the tight stuff! But I would get the Scotts first like the other guys have said. :applause:

• ARin

Posted December 22, 2005 - 05:32 PM

scotts....in my opinion it takes high priority over something that is merely a convienience like the rekluse.

• Punisher 660

Posted December 22, 2005 - 08:47 PM

When do you guys seem to notice the most headshake? I only picked up my WR at the end of this season and havn't had a ton of seat time on it. Before that I was on a CR500 which of coarse is the King of Headshake -

I have felt the front end want to wash out in the loose stuff like the dunes and down in the creek washes, but don't all bikes tend to do that?

Also, is there a big difference between the GPRS and the Scotts ?

Thanks for the info.

• jerryls

Posted December 22, 2005 - 09:21 PM

I have both, I'd get the Scotts first. Add the Rekluse later. Once you have both, you'll wonder why all bikes don't have them as standard equipment.

Jerry

• David37

Posted December 22, 2005 - 09:32 PM

I'm currently running a Scott's steering dampener on my 250F. I recommend going with the steering dampener before a Recluse clutch. The dampener stops tank slappers and head shake, also helps you maintain your grip on your handlebars in really rocky terrain.

• Warror102

Posted December 23, 2005 - 01:15 AM

Scott's dampener, not just for head shake but the feeling of control in rain ruts and rocks, much less kick back from the bars that results in more confidence and stamina.

• byggd

Posted December 23, 2005 - 04:42 AM

I have both, I'd get the Scotts first. Add the Rekluse later. Once you have both, you'll wonder why all bikes don't have them as standard equipment.

Jerry

Ditto! :applause:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 4mud

Posted December 23, 2005 - 05:12 AM

Awesome thread. One other thing. If the choice was between the Scotts, the Rekluse or sending my suspension to be set up for my weight and riding style. Where is my money best spent? Can only afford one. (2004 WR450, 41 year old, racing Amature class at Hare Scrambles)

• tp3dxf

Posted December 23, 2005 - 06:13 AM

I run a GPR stabilizer and a Rekluse as well as ESP suspension work.

Get the Stabilizer first. It will give you better control of your bike and in a way help your suspension feel a bit better. It will also save you butt more times then you can imagine.

Then get the Rekluse. Amazing product. Stabilizer and Rekluse will be standard equipment on any future bike I own.

• TARFELE

Posted December 23, 2005 - 06:21 AM

I was not going to get into this until you said suspension. I don't have a Scotts I have a W.E.R. Damper. I also have had the suspension done. I am 240 lbs and the stock suspension is for a 160lbs to maybe 210lbs rider not big guys. If you are not in that weight range I would say the suspension first. JUST MY OPINION!! It makes a big difference. I say that if you did both at the same time you would notice the suspension more often. At least I did.

• Indy_WR450

Posted December 23, 2005 - 06:53 AM

Suspension work is a must for any rider. It is not even an option like a dampner or auto clutch! Everbody needs to get their suspension set up before they ride their bikes hard. Stock valving on the WRs 46 mm forks are terrible. :applause: Stock springs are made for 140 lb trials riders! :bonk:

• Punisher660

Posted December 23, 2005 - 07:19 AM

Well I did start off with the suspension - new F&R springs and did air cells as well. Definite made a big difference on rider fatigue. I had never riden a bike with suspension set up for me before, wow, what a difference. But I've never ridden with a dampener or rekluse either. I'm going to have to get a 2nd job to support my addiction I guess.

Everyone seems very partial to the Scotts - I take it the most common setup is over the clamp / bolt on? Doesn't it seem very exposed and could it be easily damaged in a wreck?

• Indy_WR450

Posted December 23, 2005 - 08:32 AM

You can do a sub mount to protect it but I have never seen the stock mount get damaged on mine or others. :applause:

http://www.brpit.com.../sub_mount.html

• stanleigh12

Posted December 23, 2005 - 08:53 AM

If you are looking to stay on the saddle :cry: during those moments of being on the edge, the Scott;s stabilzer will save you behind :bonk: and keep you from going ass over appetite across the desert! :applause:

• Punisher660

Posted December 23, 2005 - 09:47 AM

Thanks Indy.....that is the setup I was looking for. Looks like I will have to save a little longer :applause:

Kit C looks like the best buy with bars and tripple clamps included

• JRAMBO

Posted December 23, 2005 - 10:07 AM

Indy do those also fit the WR.TYhose look Awesome love that mounting

• PumpkinHumper

Posted December 23, 2005 - 11:16 AM

I have both the Scotts and Rekluse. I love them both but cant imagine riding without my Scotts. I dont know how I ever rode without it. The Rekluse I can do without but the Scotts is a must.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.