Tachometer

I was doing a yahoo search for an hour meter that comes on with vibration and found a cool combo tach/ hour meter . I think one wire is connected somewhere in ignition. I beleive it was weather proof too. I beleive it was around $50.00. I wanted hour meter for maitanance records .

• 1 year later...
that looks simalar to the one I looked at but not. & the one i saw said weather resistant and closer to $50.00 + s&h.I'll see if I can find it. How do you transfer link to here? Do you guys retype it, or clip & paste, or how ?

OK I found it = www.hardlineproducts.com/hourmeter.cfm .

Does the hardline meter work? I believe the 600 is a single spark motor...but would like confirmation first :ride:

I have a custom key and a speedo already that I am more than happy with, plus a oil temp dipstick, so the vapor functions would be double. Plus I would have to sort out a magnetic speed sending unit and a speedo drive eliminator for my front axle, then relocate the key.

I heard the head temp sending unit wouldnt work on the XR because of the way the plug sits in, there is no room for the washer. I read it here or on 4strokes. The guy ended up milling a custom spacer to wedge inbetween the fins to get it to work (also against the recommendation of Trailtech).

I had one of the first XRL temp sensors. You are correct the plug will NOT fit with the sensor. Mine broke and I was left with garbage. Going on 3 months for a replacement. They do have great customer service. But this was why I purchsed the Vapor. I could save the $40+ SH on the dipstick and also gain a tach and other usfull info.

I do like the vapor, I still have some questions:

1. How does it pick up the RPM?

2. Is there some key relocation mount that is readily available?

3. What has changed from the original design and what do you plan to do with the new unit once you get it to keep it from breaking again?

Ive already spent the last few months toying with the bike and at this point I want to just ride, not spend more time in the garage. If it is an easy install Id consider it over $40 towards a stick on tach when I can pay $100 for a total system.

I do like the vapor, I still have some questions:

3. What has changed from the original design and what do you plan to do with the new unit once you get it to keep it from breaking again?

It uses a sensor wire that just wraps around the spark plug wire. Very simple.

It comes with a barmount, and can be mounted on any flat survace.

:censored: My replacement looks exactly like the original.

Thanks for the info, perhaps a new toy coming in soon, I need to figure out where to mount my key though.

I am still a little weary of the temp sensor too. Knowing that it doesnt work, the company should think up a new mount/solution. It seems to only need physical contact witht he area it is measuring, so couldnt you just crimp on a smaller o-ring and sandwich it on one of the valve cover bolts or other head bolts?