Tachometer

22 replies to this topic
  • Fio

Posted December 22, 2005 - 03:09 PM

Hello everybody :bonk:
Has anybody mounted a tachometer on their XR650L? :applause: If so what brand or from what bike?

• scooter1100

Posted December 22, 2005 - 09:08 PM

Honda sells one for small engines, stick on ,digital, not crash resistant ,though...lol

• bork

Posted December 23, 2005 - 06:19 AM

I was doing a yahoo search for an hour meter that comes on with vibration and found a cool combo tach/ hour meter . I think one wire is connected somewhere in ignition. I beleive it was weather proof too. I beleive it was around $50.00. I wanted hour meter for maitanance records .

• husky123

Posted December 23, 2005 - 12:27 PM

Bork,

Do you remember the link or who made it?

• Fio

Posted December 23, 2005 - 07:51 PM

Is that Honda motorcycles? Or where can I get one?

• don87xr600

Posted December 24, 2005 - 09:51 AM

http://www.serviceho...com/speedo.html

• scooter1100

Posted December 24, 2005 - 10:50 AM

http://www.tinytach....inytach/fqa.php

• bork

Posted December 24, 2005 - 01:36 PM

that looks simalar to the one I looked at but not. & the one i saw said weather resistant and closer to $50.00 + s&h.I'll see if I can find it. How do you transfer link to here? Do you guys retype it, or clip & paste, or how ?

OK I found it = www.hardlineproducts.com/hourmeter.cfm .

• husky123

Posted December 24, 2005 - 02:33 PM

Will someone hurry up and try that one from Service Honda?! :applause: I want one.

• asf

Posted February 05, 2007 - 02:21 PM

that looks simalar to the one I looked at but not. & the one i saw said weather resistant and closer to $50.00 + s&h.I'll see if I can find it. How do you transfer link to here? Do you guys retype it, or clip & paste, or how ?

OK I found it = www.hardlineproducts.com/hourmeter.cfm .

Does the hardline meter work? I believe the 600 is a single spark motor...but would like confirmation first :ride:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • TREADMARKS

Posted February 05, 2007 - 04:45 PM

Trail Tech.

Tach, speedo, and head temp and it's 1/10 the weight of all that other stuff the factory put on there, jes ta slow u down.:ride:

• asf

Posted February 05, 2007 - 05:10 PM

I have a custom key and a speedo already that I am more than happy with, plus a oil temp dipstick, so the vapor functions would be double. Plus I would have to sort out a magnetic speed sending unit and a speedo drive eliminator for my front axle, then relocate the key.

I heard the head temp sending unit wouldnt work on the XR because of the way the plug sits in, there is no room for the washer. I read it here or on 4strokes. The guy ended up milling a custom spacer to wedge inbetween the fins to get it to work (also against the recommendation of Trailtech).

• trxxr

Posted February 05, 2007 - 09:41 PM

I had one of the first XRL temp sensors. You are correct the plug will NOT fit with the sensor. Mine broke and I was left with garbage. Going on 3 months for a replacement. They do have great customer service. But this was why I purchsed the Vapor. I could save the $40+ SH on the dipstick and also gain a tach and other usfull info.

• asf

Posted February 05, 2007 - 09:52 PM

I do like the vapor, I still have some questions:

1. How does it pick up the RPM?
2. Is there some key relocation mount that is readily available?
3. What has changed from the original design and what do you plan to do with the new unit once you get it to keep it from breaking again?

Ive already spent the last few months toying with the bike and at this point I want to just ride, not spend more time in the garage. If it is an easy install Id consider it over $40 towards a stick on tach when I can pay $100 for a total system.

• TREADMARKS

Posted February 06, 2007 - 04:32 AM

I do like the vapor, I still have some questions:

3. What has changed from the original design and what do you plan to do with the new unit once you get it to keep it from breaking again?

It uses a sensor wire that just wraps around the spark plug wire. Very simple.

It comes with a barmount, and can be mounted on any flat survace.

:censored: My replacement looks exactly like the original.

• asf

Posted February 06, 2007 - 10:41 AM

Thanks for the info, perhaps a new toy coming in soon, I need to figure out where to mount my key though.

I am still a little weary of the temp sensor too. Knowing that it doesnt work, the company should think up a new mount/solution. It seems to only need physical contact witht he area it is measuring, so couldnt you just crimp on a smaller o-ring and sandwich it on one of the valve cover bolts or other head bolts?

• asf

Posted February 06, 2007 - 11:40 AM

I guess they are $120 now and come in black?

• fkuttner

Posted February 08, 2007 - 07:44 PM

Look what i found...
Tiny Tach: http://tinytach.com/.../commercial.php
better update time: every 1/2 second. spoke with someone, said they just spent three years redesigning it to be even more accurate, faster, etc.
I just ordered one, so we shall see?
oops, i see that someone already mentioned it....

• TrailTech

Posted February 09, 2007 - 08:45 AM

trxxr - we owe you a temperature sensor. It will be done by next week. It has taken so long because we want to make sure it is right.

• TREADMARKS

Posted February 12, 2007 - 05:22 AM

trxxr - we owe you a temperature sensor. It will be done by next week. It has taken so long because we want to make sure it is right.

TT,

Please let me know when these are ready for the air cooled XRL, as I am willing to purchase one when available.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  158 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.