Out With The KTM, In With The 00 XR 650R!

11 replies to this topic
  • Hoverboy

Posted December 22, 2005 - 08:27 AM

Merry Christmas everyone! :applause: I sold my KTM 525 SX, and I just bought a 00 XR 650R. When I 1st rode it, it would bog at 1/2 to full thottle, and didn't idle very well. It would cough, sneeze, and fart a lot, so I figured the carb was dirty, and I took it off to clean it out. While I was surfing around on our sweeeeeet TT forum, I found the "how to uncork the BRP" thread. :cry:

So, I went down to Apache Honda and bought the unresticted intake boot, pilot jet, main jet, and UniFilter air filter. Cost me about $37. The jets that were in there were a 130 main, and a 58s pilot. In went the 68s and 175. Carb was squeeky clean inside, so the bogging was from the lean mixture. I pulled the snorkel and plastic panel out of the airbox, put on the new intake boot, and re-installed the carb. While everything was apart, I cleaned and lubed up the throttle cables. I got everything back together, and fired it up.

It started 2nd kick, and purred like a kitten. I let it warm up, and then blurpped the throttle.....no bog, sneezing, or farting! :cry: I went for a quick ride up and down the block, tons more power. I was so impressed, I had to tell everyone. I will probably buy the holesaw bit and cut out the baffle on the muffler this weekend, then even more power......I love Hondas! Nothing against KTM's, I just missed riding Red. :bonk:

• Old_Man_Time

Posted December 22, 2005 - 02:27 PM

Its amazing that it even runs with the baffle still in the muffler and all the power up mods made in the jetting. Cut that thing out and you will really see what the bike can do. I am surprised it didn't flood on you.

• Hoverboy

Posted December 22, 2005 - 03:29 PM

Yeah, I am going to hit the hardware store after work today and get the holesaw. I think it worked because it was a lot cooler at night, so the air was more dense. I will report after I give her an enema........ :applause:

• hill5150

Posted December 22, 2005 - 04:20 PM

Nice work............good purchase.......... :applause:

• frankstr

Posted December 22, 2005 - 07:29 PM

Great move, You'll never regret it... :applause:
Get a pumper carb and she'll really come alive.... :bonk: :cry:

• Hoverboy

Posted December 23, 2005 - 07:25 AM

Nice work............good purchase.......... :bonk:

No, I don't think i will regret it. I have owned many bikes, and always loved my Hondas! :cry: I commute to work everyday on my 00 Honda Magna 750 V4, and it is a freakin blast! Smooth power, looks great, and low maintenance.......that's what I'm talking about. :applause:

I took the XR650R over and had the emissions done, it passed with flying colors. I decided I will just buy the uncorked muffler insert from Honda, the dealer is ordering it for me for $95. That way I can keep the quiet one for around town( I will be building a dualsport kit to make it street legal), then throw in the other for when I want to go tear up some trails. :p :lol:

Since I have the big Clark gas tank, I will be planning some nice trips to explore some of the nasty trails of AZ and NV. Oh yeah, just to rub it in, it has been about 70+ degrees here during the day, and cooling down to the mid 40's.....I love Phoenix in the winter!! I don't need the snow plow attachment for my bike to go riding...... :cry: :cry:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dezracer64

Posted December 23, 2005 - 07:30 AM

[quote name='frankstr']Great move, You'll never regret it...

That is until a nice lightweight KTM Thumper blasts by ya :applause:

• hill5150

Posted December 23, 2005 - 02:08 PM

[quote name='dezracer64'][quote name='frankstr']Great move, You'll never regret it...

That is until a nice lightweight KTM Thumper blasts by ya :applause:[/QUOTE]

Maybe if it was in the back of a trophy truck............

• Maddox101

Posted December 23, 2005 - 11:25 PM

Hmmm.....Tough choice! I love both my KTM and Honda. I don't think I could live without one of each! :applause:

• x thread

Posted December 24, 2005 - 09:02 AM

i love my brp just cant afford the orange and black .wish i had one of each !!!!!

• Mikie1

Posted December 24, 2005 - 01:29 PM

Hmmm.....Tough choice! I love both my KTM and Honda. I don't think I could live without one of each! :applause:

My thoughts exactly!

• Hoverboy

Posted December 27, 2005 - 12:38 PM

I have nothing against KTM, I loved my 525 SX. It was just more of a specialized bike, and performs awesome, where as the XR650R will let me do a broader spectrum of riding. If I am flat track racing or running on a motorcross track, I would take the KTM, hands down. But, if I want to go tear up the desert, and go on a 75+ mile trip, the XR would be my 1st choice....... :cry: :bonk:

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.