E-start button broke

10 replies to this topic
  • Dirtskills

Posted December 21, 2005 - 05:13 PM

Will any electric start button work or do I need to get a yamaha one for my
05 WR450. is there a thinner or smaller one out there. thank you, Keith

• simon@vic

Posted December 21, 2005 - 05:17 PM

stock ones are junk. DONT but another OEM one!!!!!
you will want to replace the kill button too.

i have found the buttons on suzuki drz400e to be the strongest. and not too expensive. good luck.

• SJMC_DON

Posted December 21, 2005 - 05:18 PM

Thinner and smaller is not better. Those OEM Starter Buttons SUCK :applause: Go get a Yamaha style kill switch, (2002 or older), and use that. Should give you years of trouble free service. Do the same thing when your kill button takes a crap, (don't worry it will soon is it hasn't already).

Good Luck :bonk:

• SJMC_DON

Posted December 21, 2005 - 05:20 PM

stock ones are junk. DONT but another OEM one!!!!!
you will want to replace the kill button too.

i have found the buttons on suzuki drz400e to be the strongest. and not too expensive. good luck.

Yeah this would work too. I don't know much about the DRZ switches but if you read it on TT it must be true :applause:

• Dirtskills

Posted December 21, 2005 - 05:51 PM

Thanks for the info guys, so I should be able to find a aftermarket yamaha type one at my local shop, thanks

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tony1970

Posted December 21, 2005 - 06:17 PM

That stupid button popped out on me on a long rut filled, stall happy ride! :bonk: If I would have known it as such a POS I would have replaced it before I rode the bike the first time. I replaced mine with a KX style button. Works a lot better and is stronger. :applause: The old style Yamaha button was my next choice.

• Indy_WR450

Posted December 21, 2005 - 06:52 PM

Well known fact on this forum. put on the old YZ250 kill buttons for both kill and starter. They are twice as large and never pop out or fail to make contact. :applause:

• rich1167

Posted December 21, 2005 - 07:26 PM

Do the older style buttons plug right in to the existing harness? Or is splicing necessary?

• Indy_WR450

Posted December 21, 2005 - 09:30 PM

Splice, solder and tape. :applause:

• simon@vic

Posted December 21, 2005 - 11:06 PM

^shirnk wrap?

• CycleWriter

Posted December 21, 2005 - 11:17 PM

Will any electric start button work or do I need to get a yamaha one for my
05 WR450. is there a thinner or smaller one out there. thank you, Keith

I swapped mine with one from a TTR250. It has both the Run and Start switch on it and lets you ditch the pushbutton switch, as well.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.