Magnetic Drain Plug '06

29 replies to this topic
  • DPW

Posted December 21, 2005 - 05:48 AM

Since both oil drains are on the engine itself, which one should have the magnetic drain plug? I'm guessing the one on the under side of the engine since it appears to be lowest point...

possible dumb question I know...

• CRFThumper

Posted December 21, 2005 - 05:56 AM

I did both! better safe than sorry!

• DPW

Posted December 21, 2005 - 05:57 AM

I was kind of thinking of that too...
:applause:

• Wiz636

Posted July 25, 2007 - 02:18 PM

I just got one for my '06 and was wondering the same thing...I put it in the drain on the right side. I suppose I should get one for the other side also but seems like the biggest chance to come up with shavings would be the right side drain.

• grayracer513

Posted July 25, 2007 - 02:28 PM

If you only did one, I'd put it on the right/rear, as that is the crankcase/sump drain, and that's the volume that the mag drains went into before. It's the place where metal shed from the trans and elsewhere goes first before it's moved anywhere else by either oil pump.

• Ga426owner

Posted July 26, 2007 - 04:20 AM

Since both oil drains are on the engine itself, which one should have the magnetic drain plug? I'm guessing the one on the under side of the engine since it appears to be lowest point...

possible dumb question I know...

DPW...never a dumb question....I am guilty for asking the stupidest questions at times :p
I have one on the bottom and it works just fine....but one one the side will catch more material so no problem. :thumbsup:

• ben_suhard

Posted July 26, 2007 - 07:27 AM

Where did you get one to fit the left hand side, I didn't think they'd make one that small???

• grayracer513

Posted July 26, 2007 - 07:59 AM

The left hand side drain plug on an '06+ is the oil tank drain, and its' the same 10mm thread as the one on the right.

• ben_suhard

Posted July 26, 2007 - 08:10 AM

The left hand side drain plug on an '06+ is the oil tank drain, and its' the same 10mm thread as the one on the right.

What the ...? I'd better go and check my manual 'cause the bolt I've been using to drain the oil on the left hand side has an 8mm thread!!!:eek:

• ben_suhard

Posted July 26, 2007 - 08:20 AM

I just checked the manual and I've been using the correct bolt, but I'm pretty sure mine has an 8mm thread 'cause the seat bolt fitted in there when I lost the original bolt. Maybe the Oz bikes are slightly different to the US bikes?:excuseme:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Wiz636

Posted July 26, 2007 - 09:45 AM

On my '06 both drain bolts have the same thread.

• grayracer513

Posted July 26, 2007 - 03:04 PM

No, Ben, I think you're right. Either way, both drains on the '06+ are the same size.

• CaptainKnobby

Posted July 26, 2007 - 06:47 PM

No, Ben, I think you're right. Either way, both drains on the '06+ are the same size.

Well on my 06 450f the drain bolt on the left hand side(gear shift side) has a size 12mm head on the bolt. I bought a magnetic drain plug from pitt posse and I never stated which side I needed nor did they have a indicater box on their website when I ordered it stating left or right. So when I ordered it they sent just one plug and when I changed the oil I tried it on the left side and it did not fit(to big) so I put it on the right hand side and it fit. I too was wondering where you could find one for the left hand side?

• DPW

Posted July 26, 2007 - 07:17 PM

brought back a classic...from '05!

• cowboyona426

Posted July 26, 2007 - 07:41 PM

I was pondering this when I bought my bike and got ready to install the magnetic drain plug- I put the mag plug in the bottom of the motor, then just out of curiosity tried the stocker in the left hand side and it wouldn't fit, so I assumed the mag plug was designed for the bottom of the motor. My plug is a Zip-Ty, I wonder if I ordered another one if it would fit in the side drain?

• ben_suhard

Posted July 26, 2007 - 08:11 PM

Mine aren't the same, the left hand side has an 8mm thread and the right hand side has a 10mm thread(the TT magnetic drain plug has a 10mm thread). If the left hand side plug is 8mm on all the '06's, I'm still curious about where CRFThumper got his 8mm magnetic drain plug from.

• Justin89

Posted July 26, 2007 - 08:23 PM

I dunno...I had a magnetic drain bolt on my 2004 yz250f and I ended up braking it off while I was unscrewing in the dead of winter. It sucked because we couldn't drill it out because it is magnetic and it would have pushed it inside of the engine. Lucky, I was able to unscrwew it with a small screwdriver and it only took an hour! Anyways, good luck guys and let me know how they work.

P.S. That was my first bike and I was young so easy on the lashings!...lol

• Wiz636

Posted July 27, 2007 - 06:53 AM

brought back a classic...from '05!

Lol...I did a search before posting the other day and this was the thread that came up!

• ben_suhard

Posted July 27, 2007 - 08:34 AM

Lol...I did a search before posting the other day and this was the thread that came up!

Ahhh, so that's why I'm getting no reply from CRFThumper!:foul: I didn't notice the date on the first few posts.

• bigred455

Posted July 27, 2007 - 02:09 PM

The left side is a different size thread than the right,off the top of my head the left side is smaller. I ordered 2 zip ty's there not in yet,but the drain bolts are 2 different sizes.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.