This is what my 1997 XR650L supermoto has so far

Wiseco 10.25 piston
Hotcams stage one cam
Head ported and polished
Three angle valve job
Mikuni flat slide carb
Yoshimura can
Uni pod filter

was gonna get a Big Gun Evo to let her make some more use of the current engine mods, then I thought maybe big bore.

I just do twisties, track days and run errands around town. How much reliability will I lose with a big bore kit?.........suggestions for big bore kits as well

• zackm58941

Posted December 20, 2005 - 06:49 PM

I'd have to say pretty damn good... I beat the snot out of mine everytime I get on it and not one problem yet, oh and its been 2k miles since the rebuild. Good luck!

Zack

• wr450fyamaha

Posted December 20, 2005 - 09:21 PM

YOSHIMURA right on!

• zrxchris

Posted December 21, 2005 - 06:24 AM

the jetting guy here said for me to get a yosh full exhuast for my XR650L, but the thumpertalk stpre said they don't make one

any exhaust suggestions ?

which big bore kit zack

• khelton

Posted December 21, 2005 - 06:43 AM

Full FMF made my L a totally different bike, a little loud but not bad..had the same effect on my R so I believe in the FMF products...better change the oil a lot with all you have done to the motor,as well as go to full synthetic oil

• goblin127

Posted December 21, 2005 - 06:51 AM

XRs only full comp.system in stainless,it wont fall apart.

• zrxchris

Posted December 21, 2005 - 09:52 AM

thanks

It burned oil with Mobil 1, the guy before me ran Rotella and it doesn't use oil. plus its cheap!

so what big bore kit?

• wr450fyamaha

Posted December 21, 2005 - 11:05 AM

the jetting guy here said for me to get a yosh full exhuast for my XR650L, but the thumpertalk stpre said they don't make one

any exhaust suggestions ?

which big bore kit zack

yeah, yoshi discontinued it quite some time ago......you can get a slip on still i think....but that does her no justice....it was also like 600 bucks for a full system when they made it. you may be able to track one down still i dont know.....i see them on ebay once in a blue moon. some shop out in the middle of no where might still have one.....as a yoshimura owner, i must say, it KICKS ASS.....if u want a pipe that is louder and deeper than any other.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • zrxchris

Posted December 21, 2005 - 01:20 PM

yeah, yoshi discontinued it quite some time ago......you can get a slip on still i think....but that does her no justice....it was also like 600 bucks for a full system when they made it. you may be able to track one down still i dont know.....i see them on ebay once in a blue moon. some shop out in the middle of no where might still have one.....as a yoshimura owner, i must say, it KICKS ASS.....if u want a pipe that is louder and deeper than any other.

any idea what the name of the system was........tri-oval etc.?

• zackm58941

Posted December 21, 2005 - 03:33 PM

Just go with the 102.4mm wiseco 10.25:1 piston. Its like 165 and figure 45 or 50 for machining. Then base gasket and a new 102.4mm head gasket, you can use the valve cover gasket over, just use black RTV silicone. As for maintence, you might need to change the oil a little more often but not too much more. The larger bore doesnt make that much more heat to make you change your oil like a 450r. You dont need full synthetics either, although it wont hurt it, its not nessicary at all.

For exhaust, if I rode off road with the bike all the time I would leave the stock silencer on for noise but mine is on the road 100% of the time. My opinion is its a lot of money for little gains but if your more for the sound then thats cool too. Good luck, oh and contact thumper racing.net. They did the machine work on my bike and really recommend them!

Zack

• zrxchris

Posted December 22, 2005 - 09:00 AM

Just go with the 102.4mm wiseco 10.25:1 piston. Its like 165 and figure 45 or 50 for machining. Then base gasket and a new 102.4mm head gasket, you can use the valve cover gasket over, just use black RTV silicone. As for maintence, you might need to change the oil a little more often but not too much more. The larger bore doesnt make that much more heat to make you change your oil like a 450r. You dont need full synthetics either, although it wont hurt it, its not nessicary at all.

For exhaust, if I rode off road with the bike all the time I would leave the stock silencer on for noise but mine is on the road 100% of the time. My opinion is its a lot of money for little gains but if your more for the sound then thats cool too. Good luck, oh and contact thumper racing.net. They did the machine work on my bike and really recommend them!

Zack

thanks zach

I already have the Wiseco 10:25:1 Piston, so the machining would be all I need and the gaskets ?

I have an oil cooler already as well.

Right now I have the stock headpipe and a Yosh RS-3 can off some sportbike. If a sull system is not going to make an HP difference then yeah I guess stick with what I have. I would think that an aftermakrte header would be less restrictive and realyy accentuate all my motor work, would it not? Sound makes no difference to me, I just want some more power to make climbing twisties in North GA better. Downhill I can run with or smoke the sportbikes but 10 more ponies would sure help in the uphill stuff.

I have never dyno'd the bike, but I would think it make maybe 40HP now.......can ya get in the 50+HP from an XR650L ?

Do the rest of the stokc internals hold up well with a big bore kit ?

• zodran

Posted December 22, 2005 - 06:56 PM

Would you call 20,000 miles reliable? I think you have already done the biggest part, another 25cc's may not be as much extra as what you're looking for.
I'm the second owner, my bike has been a big bore after the first thousand miles, I did the 10.25 piston, cam, mikuni, and big gun around 12k.
I need to go find BWB's webpage with the dyno charts, nice piece of work!

• Jayswaylv

Posted March 06, 2008 - 05:12 AM

About the big bore what kind of machining is done?

• martinfan30

Posted March 06, 2008 - 09:31 AM

About the big bore what kind of machining is done?

Just bore the cylinder to match the new piston.

• Bibleman

Posted March 06, 2008 - 04:20 PM

It may be a good idea to keep an eye on engine temps and possibly add an oil cooler.

• HeadTrauma

Posted March 06, 2008 - 06:45 PM

any idea what the name of the system was........tri-oval etc.?

It wasn't a Tri-Oval; that seems to be a later(and currently used) name and design for Yoshi cans. I have a full Yoshimura exhaust on my 600 and while I can't compare it to stock(it came with the bike), I don't usually find myself running out of power, even on the low end.

If I had a TIG welder, I'd try duplicating my stepped header.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  141 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.