43 replies to this topic
  • MojaveThumper

Posted June 29, 2006 - 04:12 PM

Dont twist the throttle so far.

Third it

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted June 30, 2006 - 08:43 AM

Third it

I thought that this thead was dead. I guess not.

btw... I am familiar with the concept of not twisting the throttle when I don't want to go fast.

Just so everyone knows... I still stand behind my position that the WR450 is not a "putt around the trails with your kids" kind of bike. It simply doesn't like to go slow. Its jumpy and agreessive in second gear and I am not going fast enough for 3rd gear.

My youngest daughter likes to ride at about 15mph and we stop to rest every 10 or 15 minutes.

One of these days, I am going to find a super cheap xr200 for riding with the kids and keep the wr450 for riding with the boys.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SXP

Posted June 30, 2006 - 10:41 AM

I thought that this thead was dead. I guess not.

btw... I am familiar with the concept of not twisting the throttle when I don't want to go fast.

Just so everyone knows... I still stand behind my position that the WR450 is not a "putt around the trails with your kids" kind of bike. It simply doesn't like to go slow. Its jumpy and agreessive in second gear and I am not going fast enough for 3rd gear.

My youngest daughter likes to ride at about 15mph and we stop to rest every 10 or 15 minutes.

One of these days, I am going to find a super cheap xr200 for riding with the kids and keep the wr450 for riding with the boys.

Maurice - I'm surprised nobody mentioned this but the addition of a Rekluse (admittedly an expensive solution) will really take the jumpiness and touchiness out of the bike in low gear, low throttle conditions - it kinda slips the clutch for you smoothening out the power delivery.

BTW, where do you live? I also spend time with my kids at slow speed and find the bike with the Rekluse works great.

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted July 01, 2006 - 01:51 PM

Maurice - I'm surprised nobody mentioned this but the addition of a Rekluse (admittedly an expensive solution) will really take the jumpiness and touchiness out of the bike in low gear, low throttle conditions - it kinda slips the clutch for you smoothening out the power delivery.

BTW, where do you live? I also spend time with my kids at slow speed and find the bike with the Rekluse works great.

The rekluse is a bit expensive. I'd have to ride one to see what its all about. For less than the cost of the rekluse, I bought an old xl500r. It it not a small bike, but it is considerably milder than the wr450. It also gives me something to wrench on.

Maybe this will be a little easier, quieter, smoother, etc... when I am going slower. On the other hand, my kids need to ride faster. But I would feel like an ass pushing my 10yr old daughter past her comfort zone.

I live in mid Los Angeles. We usually ride at Gorman or at California City. We will probably take our next ride out to Copper City. We actually don't mind the heat. We just soak our jerseys before we take off. Its only bad when you are not moving.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.