How do I tame this beast?

43 replies to this topic
  • Nodrog

Posted December 20, 2005 - 10:45 PM

Go up one tooth on the front sprocket . This will definatley tame the power a bit more .

• unkle_george

Posted December 20, 2005 - 11:19 PM

The extra horses are only a problem if you get a bit crossed up and blip the throttle and it tries to launch you off the trail. I've had a few 'moments' like that myself when I first got my 426.

The E-Start & suspension travel make it a great trail bike well and above a CRF230 & etc.

The extra flywheel weight & quiet silencer will make it alot easier to ride. At 92 db you can actually hear other riders on the trail. : ) Reverse the Gray wire mod too. It's free.

- Ryan

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted December 21, 2005 - 06:40 AM

I wouldn't go one up on the counter only because it would make 1st gear taller, that's no bueno for tight stuff. A 15t would help curve the abruptness but only when the bike is up to speed.

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted December 21, 2005 - 03:23 PM

I'm 5-9, and an honest 205 lbs. I'm in excellent shape. I am just a family / trail / desert rider. No track riding whatsoever.

I wouldn't consider myself "girlie". But at 41, it no longer takes as much to get my adrenaline. The bike is rather agressive in 1st and 2nd gear, which is where I am when I am riding with my daughters.

When you guys mention YZ timing, what are you referring to. Please educate me. Remember, I bought this bike from someone who did all of the mods.

George, you hit the nail on the head. In the technical stuff, 1st and 2nd gear will take you off the side of the hill if you aren't carefull. I do find myself riding the clutch in the technical stuff.

But maybe that is the nature of a 450?

I like the top end on it for those times when I want to get the adrenaline going. But I would definitely like a more mellow lower end.

so the consensus is to do ...

1.. flywheel weight
2. mellow pipe
3. undo gray wire mod. (what does that do)
4. sprockets (wouldn't I be making other sacrifices)

• BIGBLUEKNIGHT

Posted December 21, 2005 - 03:36 PM

yz timing is taking the wr cams out and putting the hotter yz cams in and setting the engine timing to yzf specs instead of the wr specs. essentially turning the wr into a yz

• Matty05

Posted December 21, 2005 - 05:05 PM

The extra horses are only a problem if you get a bit crossed up and blip the throttle and it tries to launch you off the trail. I've had a few 'moments' like that myself when I first got my 426.

The 426's are pretty agressive, the 450's just work a hell of a lot better. You ride them differently.

When you get into trouble, that throttle is what gets you out of it. Just remember, hit the throttle and you will straighten up. Back off, you go off!

• Matty05

Posted December 21, 2005 - 05:14 PM

When you guys mention YZ timing, what are you referring to. Please educate me. Remember, I bought this bike from someone who did all of the mods.

1.. flywheel weight
2. mellow pipe

The grey wire disconnection is what we refer to as YZ ignition timing. The grey wire is the ground, which retards timing to what is WR. Disconnected it is advanced or YZ timing.

The first thing I would do is put the standard pipe back on. Just an aftermarket pipe makes the 450 a beast. This is all you will have to do.

The flywheel weight is already too much. Put the standard pipe back on and find out. Don't change sprockets yet.

Get the suspension set up properly for you. I cannot stress this enough. I got my suspension back yesterday and holy crap! What a difference! It is seriously 10x better and makes you ooze confidence.

• kwakebord

Posted December 21, 2005 - 07:27 PM

Simple, Gear up!! there is plenty of juice on tap and it will soften the torque hit, plus if you need more, its always there, changing pipes is an expensive, and not effective approach.

• unkle_george

Posted December 21, 2005 - 09:49 PM

You can get takeoff pipe's pretty cheap on ebay. Even better, if you know anyone with an aftermarket pipe they probably still have the stock one laying around.
Check ebay or craigs list.

- Ryan

• bg10459

Posted December 22, 2005 - 08:39 AM

1.. flywheel weight
2. mellow pipe

I'm certainly no speed demon, but I like to open it up here and there. Mostly, I ride trails (singletrack, rocks, hills, etc.). In my opinion:
1. I would not do a flywheel weight (unless it has been lightened to YZ spec); the WR has a heavier weight to begin with.
2. Go ahead with the mellow pipe; you can get a stocker for $10 on eBay.
3. Don't undo the grey wire mod unless you're going to put the longer WR throttle stop in. But that will REALLY tame the bike down.
4. I wouldn't do the sprockets until you make some other changes first. If you're still not happy, change the rear sprocket by a tooth or two. 1 up front equals about 4 out back.
5. If you've got YZ cams or cam timing, change that back to WR. The YZ cam timing makes power at higher revs. The WR cam will give you more lugability, which kind of goes hand in hand with the heavier WR flywheel weight.
6. Above all, get some seat time in. You'll quickly get used to the throttle so you can ride slow with the kids. :applause:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Just_a_trail_rider

Posted December 23, 2005 - 05:49 PM

I have yet to find a used stop pipe on Ebay. I guess I will have to modify the insert on the FMF pipe to mellow things out and make it a bit quieter. If I could do just that, that would be ideal.

I could easily switch inserts in 5 mins or less.

Maybe after that, I see what can be done next.

Will I have to modify the jetting once I do that.

• xcracer123

Posted December 23, 2005 - 07:36 PM

Put the stock throttle pin back in......

This is exactly what I would suggest. Along with going back to the stock exhaust.

• Moondogger

Posted December 23, 2005 - 09:16 PM

I just sold my stock '05 pipe on Ebay. If I had known, I would have hooked you up with it.

The WR450 is a great bike for me, trails, dez, sand, etc., but I'm 6'3" 240lbs (probably over 250 with all my gear on). I can see how it can be a beast for smaller riders. If you feel it is simply too much bike for you, as a couple others have mentioned, maybe the WR250 would be a better bike.

My first bike was an XR250. I loved that bike. It could take me anywhere I wanted to go and it was easy to handle. Now with my WR (especially after the Edelbrock carb was installed), I feel like my arms will get pulled out of their sockets if I hit the throttle too hard. It's all relative though, I thought my WR was powerful until I rode my friend's XR680 Baja 1000 race bike....... now that thing is scary.

-Alex

• minion

Posted December 23, 2005 - 09:33 PM

Thanks for the advice on the pipes. I will look at the FMF Q2.

Regarding the power, don't get me wrong, I like it and I can handle it just fine. Naturally, I use a lot less throttle when I don't need it. But it just doesn't seem like the kind of bike that is most appropriate for trail riding with the family.

I guess I am looking for the one bike to handle all of my different riding scenarios. I think I need two bikes.

I think everyone is nuts when they say "to enjoy a WR you need to replace the pipe". Sure the pipe doesn't breathe as well as a freaking header pipe by itself, but it breathes enough. I've never been in a situation with my WR that the bike let me down on power delivery. Hill climbs, sand, nasty mud, you name it, the bike has MORE than enough power to fly through that crap with the stock pipe.

I was disappointed with the bike originally when purchased, so I did the following:

Throttle stop
Rejet (the JD kit, mainly for the needle, as well as advise from indy on other jets)
grey wire
opened up air box
removed AIS

After doing all of that, I've never felt the bike needed any more than that. Hence, I've never bothered to replace the pipe. Plus, I like the fact that its quiet, and I talk to my friends when I'm sitting at an idle.

Now if I was racing this thing on the motocross track, then a new pipe makes sense.... A YZ makes more sense though. :applause:

M.

• RNS

Posted December 23, 2005 - 09:46 PM

I wanted to make my WR450 more manageable in the tight and twisty's so I did the following.

Free Mods
Q-2 pipe
JD Jetting
G-2 Ergonomics Throttle Cams - Great help for throttle control in the tight
Rekluse with perch adjuster - a must have for everyone
Suspension - Suspension - Suspension

After many hare scrambles, I took on my first enduro this year, The Gobbler Getter in Maplesville Alabama, and out of 500+ riders 240ish finished, I was one of the finishers and I could have not finished with out the Rekluse and the G-2 throttle cams. The trail was 65 miles of handle bar width and less. The 450 makes so much torque I had to force myself to run in 2nd and 3rd gears to manage the bike. The trees were getting closer and closer then the hills with the trees were outragously steep and tight.:cry: Without the Rekluse and the throttle cam, I would have quite and sold it after the first gas stop. Or traded it for a KTM 200. :bonk:
Looking back I realize I would never attempt an enduro like the Gobbler Getter on anything but a WR-450 set up the way it is. Did I mention the nasty steep hills covered with loose rocks,trees and sand. :applause:
Best of all I did not hour out..

RNS

• skidxr

Posted December 23, 2005 - 10:14 PM

It's all in the rist..

• unkle_george

Posted December 24, 2005 - 08:04 PM

Yes. I have a Powercore IV with a quite insert and I usually have to change the jetting a bit when I take it in or out. If you add the insert it will be too rich, expecially on the top end so try dropping the main jet by two and turn the fuel screw in a turn.

• bill makela

Posted June 29, 2006 - 02:00 PM

my son got a ktm 450 sx for hair scrambles.a beast in the woods.the easy thing to do is install a heavy flywheel. we went up 9oz at first.it was a big help but the bike was still easy to stall when the trails got tight and nasty,it still acted like a moto cross bike but mellower. we went up 14oz and it turned it into a trail bike. most mx bikes have a light flywheel 17 to 19 oz ,trail versions are up around 28 to 33oz.

• bill makela

Posted June 29, 2006 - 02:07 PM

my son got a ktm 450 sx for hair scrambles.a beast in the woods.the easy thing to do is install a heavy flywheel. we went up 9oz at first.it was a big help but the bike was still easy to stall when the trails got tight and nasty,it still acted like a moto cross bike but mellower. we went up 14oz and it turned it into a trail bike. most mx bikes have a light flywheel 17 to 19 oz ,trail versions are up around 28 to 33oz.

• GCannon

Posted June 29, 2006 - 02:12 PM

FMF Q2 and WR cam timing looks like a good start.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.