06 YZ450 engine noise

6 replies to this topic
  • bigdrtrdr

Posted December 20, 2005 - 09:33 AM

Got a couple of new YZ450s that seem to make a lot more engine noise than in 05 and 04. This noise showed up after the break in period. Kind of a clunking noise in the motor.
I know the motors are almost mechanicly identical and the earlier units have proven bullit proof.
Someone said maybe the aluminum frame may transfer noise better?
Or possibly the bigger cases to hold all the oil instead of the frame?

The oil changes didnt show any thing out of the ordindary.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Eric

• BigDeSto53

Posted December 20, 2005 - 10:17 AM

i SECOND THE FRAME THEORY!

• biznet1

Posted December 20, 2005 - 02:05 PM

Yeah, I'm sure your fine. But......! You should be punished for having more than one! All of these poor guys out there waiting on their one! :applause:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Klx4me

Posted December 20, 2005 - 08:40 PM

If you have 2 and they both sound the same (noisy) then the odds are that it is perfectly normal. If one sounds significantly different then the other then I might be concerned.

• STRAIGHT EDGE

Posted December 21, 2005 - 02:47 AM

My 06 YZ250F had something very similar happen to it. After the break in and changed some jetting, the motor made, what seemed to be an internal motor sound, a loud clanking / clunking noise as I tried to start it. It finally started after a couple of tries and once it started and reved it once the noise disappeared and never came back. I got real worried / paranoid so I talked to a service mechanic at a Yamaha dealer. I described my problem and he said it sounded like the slide in the carb was clanking around, he said it is real loud, and sounds like the motor is going to blow up or like you just busted a valve. The noise has not returned. I don't know if this is the same problem / noise but I hoped this might have helped.

• RAMARION

Posted December 21, 2005 - 05:44 PM

do you still have your stock chain???? my chain streched about 3 inchs on first ride, at least it felt that way, anyway, I have chain scratchs on my swingarm now after my first ride. Theres a new chain on her now.........

• bigdrtrdr

Posted December 21, 2005 - 06:34 PM

The stock chains are junk, I remove them before its ridden and put them back on when I sell them. "Look its got a brand new chain"
I run Regina O ring chains.
Eric

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.