Wr400: I kicked, it kicked back, something broke.

3 replies to this topic
  • WRototiller

Posted December 20, 2005 - 09:29 AM

I just put a Procircuit T-4 exhaust on My 1998 WR 400, it is YZ timed, throttle stop and black wire have also been done. I started it to hear it, got it warmed up.
I shut it down to change end caps and compare. When I went to start it, it kicked back and the lever stayed down :bonk: . So I pulled it up and tried again, it started and that brought the lever back up, but there is a heavy grinding. :applause: Has this happend to anyone? Is it common? How big of a job is it going to be?
Once this F'up is fixed and spring rolls around I plan to start the jetting game. This is my first 4 stroke, I've had a pile of 2 strokes in my life and haven't had to do much rejetting. So I plan to go with the JD kit and JD leak jet kit. Is this a good way to start the game?
Thanks in advance for any input.

• Shawn_Mc

Posted December 20, 2005 - 12:51 PM

pull the clutch side case cover off, not just the clutch cover. Its sounds like the kicker return spring may have broken, or something to that effect. Its not a huge job. Hopefully the piece that broke off didnt get into anything else...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • blue_beast_wins

Posted December 20, 2005 - 08:48 PM

I agree, make sure you get all the bits out.

• Jekel

Posted December 26, 2005 - 11:02 AM

Hopefully just the spring. The JD jetting kit is the way to go:-) Nice to see a question about the 400's again.

Related Content

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

Help with 2000 yz426 by weekend woods racer

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  36 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.