EKP needle.. Q to dial it in

2 replies to this topic
  • ballistic

Posted September 02, 2001 - 05:05 PM

I tryed out the EKP on my DRZ400 (because everyone is doing it). James Dean was kind enough to make ssome suggestions on settings. It has improved the midrange hit. As vague as my description is (I'm no mechanic) Heres what I ran...

100 pilot air
48 pilot jet
1.5 turns on pilot srew (fuel screw)
EKP clip #3
200 main air jet
158 main jet (BigGun Quiet Exhaust)
airbox opened up

First I tried the #158. Apart from an off-idle bog (which is probably a separate issue, and I will try the P-38 fix), it was pretty good except a bit of stumble/miss from 1/8 to 1/2 throttle, particularily when pulling a wheelie in 2nd or 3rd.
3/4 to wide open is good. Played with fuel screw... no improvement.

Then I tried #160... about the same performance all around.

Then I dropped clip from #3 to #4. Little more responsive, little bit less off-idle bog (maybe), but still a bit of stumble/missing from 1/8 to 1/2 throttle, particularily when pulling a wheelie. Its minor but definitely there. Above 1/2 throttle is perfect.

What should I try next to address the missing 1/8 to 1/2?
Is it a sign of too lean or too rich or what? What are the signs?

When I go downhill throttle off (coasting) there is no popping or backfiring.

Could it be the damn throttle pump?

Go back to #158 and try clip #4 with that?

[This message has been edited by ballistic (edited September 02, 2001).]

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • James_Dean

Posted September 03, 2001 - 08:20 AM

Try clip #2 with the EKP needle on your DRZ and work with the pilot screw again in the 1-1 3/4 turn range.

Perhaps an email to me for this DRZ problem since this is a WR forum.

• ballistic

Posted September 03, 2001 - 08:36 AM

Ok. what is your email, its not listed.
ballistics@home.com

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.