450 gearing question

7 replies to this topic
  • new2blue450

Posted December 19, 2005 - 01:51 PM

okay, i just got my 04 and have ridden it a few times, and love it! i was wondering what a good gear choice for me (a total begger-first bike) would be. the front looks to be stock, and back is a 48. something to maybe slow it down a tad, untill i get more comfortable.

• 450_rider

Posted December 19, 2005 - 02:00 PM

You bought a bad ass first bike!!! I did the same thing, i got a 450 for my first bike. I like stock gear personally, i think its 14 up front and 49 on rear?

• new2blue450

Posted December 19, 2005 - 02:03 PM

the gearing isnt so bad, but it seems a little tall...

• bruntz505

Posted December 20, 2005 - 07:50 PM

Keep with the stock.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • perrymx23

Posted December 21, 2005 - 03:35 AM

I went with a 14f - 47r. It works great. Helps with the hit, is alot easier to ride moto's. Arms and you don't get as tired. I had issue's in corners when I first got my bike. Talked to a friend of mine who won the +40 at Loretta's on one, this is what he runs. It actually helped with the bike not trying to stand up when getting back on the throttle exiting corners.

You can get a JT sprocket very reasonable to try it. If you don't like it, I'll buy it from you.

• big t

Posted December 21, 2005 - 06:28 AM

I've read a couple of post about going to a 47T rear so it might be worth trying. Coming off XR's I had trouble stalling until I rode the bike for awhile. I put a 13T front sprocket on and it slowed the bike down some and helped with stalling. You can get Primary Drive sprockets for cheap and they are good sprockets if you want to play around with the gearing. I just put a flywheel wieght on mine. Haven't ridden it much yet but I think that is going to be the ticket.

• grayracer513

Posted December 21, 2005 - 11:10 AM

If by "slow it down", you mean reduce the top speed, you can do that with gearing. But that will only make it accelerate even harder than it does and go through the gears quicker. The weighted flywheel is the ticket to civilizing the thing without cutting performance in any real way.

A YZ450 will pull just about any gear you stick on it. Mine is 15/49, and I know people who run them geared higher than that. Going to a 14/47 is very popular with guys who mostly MX with them.

• Matty05

Posted December 21, 2005 - 06:29 PM

A YZ450 will pull just about any gear you stick on it. Mine is 15/49, and I know people who run them geared higher than that. Going to a 14/47 is very popular with guys who mostly MX with them.

Hell yeah! My mates run 14/45 and 14/46. They now go about 160km/h flat out! No loss of speed but not hitting limiter all the time.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.