Spark plug ? NGK DPR9EA-9

5 replies to this topic
  • slowxr

Posted December 19, 2005 - 10:40 AM

This is the plug that I pulled out of my 03 650R. Apparently, that's not the plug the manual recommends.
I'm wondering if I screwed up or if that was a recommended plug that I read about some where? Anyone know?
Thanks

• danny v

Posted September 18, 2007 - 09:15 PM

i just bought a honda xr 600 r 1998.the plug is a ngk dpr8ea-8 the #9 used is one size hotter for riding in very cold weather good luck ! :thumbsup:

• cleonard

Posted September 19, 2007 - 09:39 AM

NGK plugs get "hotter" as the number gets smaller, so a 9 is one heat range colder than an 8. The "P" in the plug designation refers to a projected electrode. I know that it is important to run the projected electrode type in the aircooled engines, don't know about the 650R.

For extended high speed operation in hot temps a colder plug is recommended.

The 650R stock plug is a BKR7E-11. That's two heat ranges hotter than what you had in there. Otherwise the stock plug is missing the projected electrode, it has a different hex size, and the gap is larger.

http://www.ngksparkp...rtnumberkey.pdf

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • martinfan30

Posted September 19, 2007 - 09:55 AM

also, the heat range is just how quickly or slower the plugs radiates heat away from the head.

a plug doesnt generate any certain amount of heat.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

also, the P stands for platinum. it does on ND plugs. by that chart it does for ngk too.

• cleonard

Posted September 19, 2007 - 11:57 AM

also, the P stands for platinum. it does on ND plugs. by that chart it does for ngk too.

It depends on where the P is in the part number. Before the heat range and it means "projected insulator type." If it is after the heat range then it means "premium platinum".

• danny v

Posted September 21, 2007 - 09:21 PM

SORRY,I WAS TOLD THE HEAT RANGE GETS HOTTER WHEN THE # IS HIGHER
MY MISTAKE.I PRINTED THE CHART THAT WAS ON THE NEXT POST,COOL STUF AND THE RIGHT INFO THANKS :thumbsup:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.