Grease maintenance......

7 replies to this topic
  • snowboardstylee

Posted December 19, 2005 - 10:40 AM

Hey guys,
just curious what your take is.

how often do you think moving parts(non mechanical) should be lubricated or greased and what is your normal routine, as far as lubing/greasing axles, levers, cables, steering head, chain, and anything else i might have overlooked in this post...

Im sure its in the manual somwhere, but i dont have one of those.

• CV4

Posted December 19, 2005 - 11:47 AM

I lube the cables (clutch & throttle) every 3 to 4 rides, and I grease the clutch and brake lever pivots at the same time. The chain gets lubed before I go to the track, and each time I come off the track for a break.

Steering stem, suspension linkage, and wheel bearings are cleaned and greased twice per year. Be sure to pack lots of grease in these items.

• snowboardstylee

Posted December 19, 2005 - 12:32 PM

oh yeah forgot the shock linkage.
im just asking cause i have a funny squeek when i move my bike. its tiny but maybe it ssomething beggign for grease.

i just had a tire changed so im sure they made sure i had enough axle grease and chain lube. bought a can this weekend though. just gotta get a stand now. but im getting one this week found a killer deal at a local dealer .

I definitly gotta get my clutch cable lubed it killed me on my ride yesterday had to have a gorilla grip to get the damn thing pulled in belive me my hand hurts today

• 00YZ426FMRCD

Posted December 19, 2005 - 12:58 PM

This is one area where I don't think too much maintenance is enough. I would think the rear linkage should be taken apart and reassembled atleast once if not twice a year. Same for the steering damper, gooseneck, wheel bearings and axles.

I used to have an 89 RMX that had grease fittings almost everywhere. You could pump grease into the rear linkage, subframe bolt and axles without even taking anything appart. Must have been why every part on the bike cost $20.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 642MX

Posted December 19, 2005 - 05:22 PM

I take care of the linkage and steering stem once a year. I replace the wheel bearings when they go bad. After I wash it I lube the foot pegs, shifter and lever pivots and of course the chain.

• mtrdrms

Posted December 19, 2005 - 05:45 PM

I tear it down and grease and lube everything twice a year. :applause:
The chain however gets it after every ride.

• snowboardstylee

Posted December 19, 2005 - 06:46 PM

well i just had my shock rebuilt and spring changed im sure they lubed the shit out of it. just had a rear tire put on im sure they greased the bearings and axle...

steering head i hear is mandatory maybe ill do that soon. and i need to lube my chain and shifter and brake pedal and my cables soon. just wanted to know intervals. so every 5-6 months is good then huh .

• Matt96xr6

Posted December 19, 2005 - 07:47 PM

You may want to open that Service manual for the bike. They have a really good outline for the maintenance schedule that is right on par with someone racing the bike or using the bike like it should be riden.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.