Supermoto ?

1 reply to this topic
  • DzNuts

Posted December 19, 2005 - 09:59 AM

This looks like the perfect place to find all my answers, so thanks in advance for all you help.

I have been doing some research on building/buying a motard and everbody seems to point me towards buying a xr650 but I am a yamaha guy at heart so I would like to stick to blue. Are any of the yamaha's a good candidate for a street/trackday bike, or would I be better off going with an xr. It would be used mostly for street riding in the twistys, but would also be doing a couple track days (strictly pavement). Can anybody point my towards a good yami or would an xr be the only way? Thanks

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted December 19, 2005 - 11:33 AM

As I understand it, there is a 450 class and an open class in SM. The XR650 is definitely going to be a better street bike than most of the others you could pick for the purpose, but it will be quite a handful in the dirt sections of a Super Moto course, or even the "urban MX" parts, because of its considerable weight. I've never seen one run competitively. A WR450 could be modded into a good bike for you, and a 525 KTM can be used in the bigger class. What it comes down to is, do you want a competitive SM racer, or a fast street thumper? The answer, to me, lies in that question.

There's also a Super Motard forum listed down the index from this one on the main forums page. See what those guys think.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.