2006 Baja 1000 ?

47 replies to this topic
  • Husky_Forever

Posted December 20, 2005 - 05:32 PM

Baja Pits USA (www.bajapits.com) will be running 60 mile pits for the 1000. :bonk: They charge $3 bills for 18 pits + your fuel. That comes out to $.30 cents a mile I think? Arco 91 Premium fuel (Pemex 91 octane) or 100 octane unleaded race fuel from Sunoco at $4.50 a gallon. You provide your spares and we will bring your bike back from La Paz for a very small fee to San Diego. A bit more if we have to ship it to you on Forward Air out of Santee here.

If you are racing an Husqvarna 4 stroke under Baja Huskys Race Team with Baja pits manning the pits, all your pits and fuel for the SF 250, Baja 500 and Baja 1000 are covered for free this 2006 season. I'm running a Husky because I like them, they are reliable, not much to do to make them Baja worthy and the pit price is right. I say go for it. You only live once! :applause: Steny

• big t

Posted December 20, 2005 - 06:44 PM

If you have the time and the money I'd say go for it. I would love to be able to do it but I don't have the time or money. Like someone said earlier just to finish is a victory.

• Husky_Forever

Posted December 20, 2005 - 11:17 PM

I've raced three Baja 1000's and finished two of them :bonk: . The first two were on 2 man teams. The last one was a 4 man team. I've also pitted more than 20 Baja 1000s and 500s and at least 15 San Felipe 250s. I have seen and heard stories to last me a lifetime. My best advice to you would be to plan on riding until about 8 pm on race day. Then find a pit to stop at. You will need at least two chase trucks. Take a good 4 hour nap when you stop at 8pm. Send a cot and sleeping bag to that selected pit for your use. Wake up refreshed at midnight and continue the ride all night and into the next day. You will finish sometime before dark on the second day if no problems arise. And yes, finishing is winning in the Baja. Just look at the numbers of those that dont finish each year. :applause: Steny

• MotoGoalie

Posted December 21, 2005 - 10:24 AM

I am just waiting to hear you run your mouth about dakar.

Like I said, baja maybe.

Could you be a bigger dickhead? :applause:

Best of luck to the dude. He's got the balls, you got the mouth.

• bmeador

Posted December 21, 2005 - 10:29 AM

Could you be a bigger dickhead? :bonk:

Best of luck to the dude. He's got the balls, you got the mouth.

My thoughts exactly!!!! :cry: :applause:

• mikekay

Posted December 21, 2005 - 11:45 AM

If ya want to race the Baja 1000 you should consider joining us on the TT baja ride Feb 25-26.

Its a friday-sunday ride along a couple hundred miles of Baja 1000 course-

Others pay $1500-3000 to join an arrainged 'tour' -- but this ride is a fund raiser for a local orphange. All levels of riders having fun for a good cause.

Come join us and get a taste of what you will be up against next fall. :applause:

See the international section for more info on the upcoming ride...

-Mike

• mjlang

Posted December 21, 2005 - 01:51 PM

We have done our own pits for the 500 and that kinda sucked. We have used MAG 7 three of four times and I got tired of not getting any of my stuff back from them. They give a three hour window after 11 PM on the 8th Saturday of the month to come get your stuff. When you try to arrange another time, they don't respond to email. We used Honda Pits last race and they rocked. They changed a rear wheel, air filter, and gas in four minutes. I was really impressed. The only limitation is you have to race a Honda. I don't want to start any "my bike is better than yours" discussions but using other pits leaves you more options on what you wanna swing a leg over.

• PowerCell

Posted December 21, 2005 - 02:49 PM

[quote name='mjlang']The only limitation is you have to race a Honda.[QUOTE]

Mike - If you were any kind of man, you'd race that DT125... :applause:

• Kritter

Posted December 21, 2005 - 08:32 PM

if you are looking to make a run at ktm at dakar start with $1mill...they do that times 3.

I was told by a dakar racer that to just finish youre looking at $100k and you'd be miserable the whole time.

• GRAHAM25

Posted December 21, 2005 - 08:35 PM

I have a lot of people to thank for all the info you've shared.

THANK YOU!!!
ALAN

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • GRAHAM25

Posted December 21, 2005 - 08:50 PM

if you are looking to make a run at ktm at dakar start with $1mill...they do that times 3.

I was told by a dakar racer that to just finish youre looking at $100k and you'd be miserable the whole time.

I'm looking forward to talking with the pan american team this year out of SFO.
They built 3 custom 525 EXC. The money yes its a lot but some people spend a lot more for a house in there hometown and never step out to see the world. Me, I want to suffer, blow big money,and have memories and experiances to last a life time.Of corse the experiances will probably shorten the lifetime :applause: :bonk:.

• JackAttack

Posted December 21, 2005 - 10:06 PM

Sounds like a bitch Dakar rider to me. I'll run Dakar for half that with a big-ole smile on my face.

• JackAttack

Posted December 21, 2005 - 10:41 PM

If you are racing an Husqvarna 4 stroke under Baja Huskys Race Team with Baja pits manning the pits, all your pits and fuel for the SF 250, Baja 500 and Baja 1000 are covered for free this 2006 season.

Who would be dumb enough to run a Husky in those races?

Are you offering FREE pits to Harley Davidson and Vespa riders as well?

• speedbman

Posted December 22, 2005 - 01:13 AM

We used Mag 7 for support of our KTM525 at the 05 1000 and I had no issues getting my wheels and air filters back. One of the members of Mag7 even brought them to me in Las Vegas and refused to take the money I offered him for his trouble.

They also helped us change an engine clutch side case at pit 8 and did a bang up job while I sat by the fire having an energy drink.

Hats off to MAG 7.

Maybe I got lucky, or maybe they have gotten better than your experience!

• babbs

Posted December 22, 2005 - 09:11 AM

My appologies if I came across as crass. I guess the Baja 1000 is more attainable than I previously thought. I guess I have lurked around here long enough to hear a lot of people fantasize about dakar, etc. But, I guess I never realized that there are people who are much more adventerous than myself.

I admit, yes, I did come across as a dickhead, and I appoligize. Good luck in the races.

• mikekay

Posted December 22, 2005 - 05:39 PM

Hmmm.
Where to start?

1) His name is Morgan, not Mike.

2) Dakar? $15,200 for entry fee. $26,000 for KTM Rally bike (with spares) and support. Or build your own rally ready XR 650 for about the same cost. Couple plane tickets, hotels, gear. Pits and food included in the entry fee. $40,000 -but not much less.

3) Thanks JackAttack for driving the Husqvarna chase truck at the 1000!

4) I have had problems with Honda Pits in several races. They arent any better than the others IMHO. I'll never forget the time they refused service to the rallyprincess becouse they didnt believe a chick could be doing so well!

5) Thanks Baja Pits for getting behind Husky!

....come on down and join the TT Baja fundraiser ride in late Febuary!

-Mike

• Kritter

Posted December 22, 2005 - 07:08 PM

Sounds like a bitch Dakar rider to me. I'll run Dakar for half that with a big-ole smile on my face.

Will you podium?

• PowerCell

Posted December 22, 2005 - 09:53 PM

Crap! Irondrawers, you're right! Sorry Morg, I thought you were my friend Mike Laenger based on your signature. That's funny, your DT didn't even register with me...

Give me a call Morg, you Xmas gift has been sitting on my service bench for almost a month...

• Leget

Posted December 23, 2005 - 04:20 AM

Greetings Gang,
I'm planning on racing in the Baja 1000 Ironman style. I am looking for contacts for info on logistics. If anyone is on the list who has done this and could point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.The plan is to race Baja to prepare for Dakar in 2008.

Thanks,

ALAN

grandeal@hotmail.com

Good luck Alan, I hope your able to get everything worked out.
I plan to run the B1K someday as well (hopefully 2007).

There’s allot of guys on TT that can help, but just speaking from experience, Bajaboundmoto is a great guy and knows what he's talking about. He helped me get in touch with a good group of guys that were operating a Pit at the B1K this year (thanks again Tim). I had a blast, and I can't wait until next year.

I made the trip and helped out to try and get an idea on what is involved (I'm on the East coast so Baja is totally new to me).

15K +/- sounds like a great deal to me to experience something as cool as the B1K as a participant.

• JackAttack

Posted December 23, 2005 - 10:43 AM

Will you podium?

Sponsor me, and we will find out. :applause: :cry: :bonk:

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.