How often will you re-build a 450?

24 replies to this topic
  • jeffboyd47m

Posted May 20, 2008 - 05:10 AM

get you kicking leg ready if you're coming off a 2 stroke to a big 4. you can hand start a 2 stroke 125... big four stroke requires some big kicking. also remember you might not hit a compression stroke every kick like on a 2 stroke. can be frustrating, but the endless torque and fewer gear changes are worth it.

I have an 08 with a big bore kit on it and my son has a stock 08 450. My six year old grandson can start both of these bikes by himself. It is fun to watch and a great way to win bets with friends for cold drinks. My bike is by far the easiest starting bike I have ever owned. Last week I did a couple of dead engine practice starts with Dave Pearson and I could beat him out of the hole each time. Even he was suprised at how easy my bike started.

• yam 3

Posted May 20, 2008 - 07:18 AM

A good slow consistant push rather than a quick stab like a two stroke get mine started the easiest. I usually kick it over slow the first time just to get everthing moving if it has been sitting for a while and sometimes it starts when I just want to turn the motor over. The harder I kick the harder it is to start to put it frankly.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted May 20, 2008 - 08:47 AM

sometimes it starts when I just want to turn the motor over.

My '03 did that when the guy who bought it came to check it out. :thumbsup: He couldn't believe it.

• rarice1980

Posted May 20, 2008 - 09:18 AM

alright so after reading this thread what I'm gathering is that a yz 450 is basically a bullet proof for the average non-racing trail rider. I am about to buy a bike within the next few weeks. I sold my last one a few years ago, and now my wife and daughter have both started riding so I'm getting back into it. I was thinking of going two stroke for repair costs alone. but if the yamahammer is that reliable I might just go blue for the first time in my life. unless I can find a yellow one (I love the retro)

• rdefonce

Posted May 20, 2008 - 11:03 AM

You did. And the '03 YZ450 I first posted about in this thread in '05 was the one I just sold January '08. It was NEVER rebuilt and NEVER needed a valve adjustment and was a second hand bike when I bought it in '04.

Grayracer, for an "old man" you have a good memory.;-)
I posted to this thread in '05, and since then I have adjusted my valves finally this year! They were only a bit tight but I did it anyway of course.
The way my old '99 is running (damn near like new, no loose noises or anything like that), there's no way I would even consider tearing down the top-end for a piston/rings replacement.
Hell, the cam chain is even not very worn! (plenty of adjustment left in auto-adjuster.)
Yes they are tough motors.

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.