Rekluse - whats it like?

24 replies to this topic
  • mtrdrms

Posted December 18, 2005 - 06:08 PM

SO I want to turn my 450 into a woods bike and I have heard that the rekluse or other slipper type clutches are phenominal. So whats it like to ride with one of these babies? Can someone describe the differences and is it really worth it?

• biznet1

Posted December 18, 2005 - 07:10 PM

It's awesome.

1. If you are in too high of a gear, no problem. It clutches for you.
2. If you fall, it rarely goes dead because the clutch is engaged.
3. In turns it feathers the clutch perfectly.
4. On steep hills it give you the perfect amount of clutch.
5. If you get the left hand rear brake, it makes right hand turns easier.

downside:
You can't push start the bike.
All of your friends will want to ride it.

• 642MX

Posted December 18, 2005 - 07:31 PM

It's awesome.

1. If you are in too high of a gear, no problem. It clutches for you.
2. If you fall, it rarely goes dead because the clutch is engaged.
3. In turns it feathers the clutch perfectly.
4. On steep hills it give you the perfect amount of clutch.
5. If you get the left hand rear brake, it makes right hand turns easier.

downside:
You can't push start the bike.
All of your friends will want to ride it.

Exactly :applause: Its the best mod you can do. Visit rekluses site, they have plenty of info there click here

• slopoke

Posted December 18, 2005 - 11:26 PM

is it like riding an xr50?

• biznet1

Posted December 19, 2005 - 05:16 AM

is it like riding an xr50?

Not at all. The XR50 is a semi auto, so there is no "clutching" effect. The rekluse engages and disengages the clutch for you. For example, though I don't recommend it, you can put the bike in 4 or (5th if you have one) and take off full throttle from a dead stop.

• 426boy

Posted December 20, 2005 - 09:53 PM

how is that reckluse clutch for all around riding and just courious how it works in a holeshot type situation not nesecerily racing but just trying to get off the line quickly

• mikie

Posted December 20, 2005 - 09:58 PM

do you shift without using the clutch perch?

• biznet1

Posted December 20, 2005 - 10:17 PM

how is that reckluse clutch for all around riding and just courious how it works in a holeshot type situation not nesecerily racing but just trying to get off the line quickly

It's great for all around riding, particularly woods riding. For holeshots, it's important that there is NO bog in the throttle response. I was suprised at how well it works in the start. It helps you maintain traction and helps keep the front end down. If your third gear isn't too tall, you can even do third gear starts.

do you shift without using the clutch perch?

Yes. I don't use the perch, but I do have a left hand rear brake kit. It's great for right hand turns, but it does take some getting used to. Wait til you are about to take a jump and go for that non existent clutch lever and lock down the rear wheel!

• mtrdrms

Posted December 21, 2005 - 05:47 AM

but can you use the clutch perch just like the rekluse wasnt there?

• biznet1

Posted December 21, 2005 - 06:54 AM

but can you use the clutch perch just like the rekluse wasnt there?

The perch with the override, yes.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 00YZ426FMRCD

Posted December 21, 2005 - 08:34 AM

Question on this: I have a stock 00 426 and am eventually going to go with a Rekluse clutch once I have the $$'s. I know there is a fix for the 00 426 clutch by essentially going with new clutch parts from the 01 426. Here is my question:

Should I go ahead and do the 01 clutch Mod, then purchase and install the Rekluse or simply just purchase the Rekluse, a few of the 01 parts and install? The clutch on my 00 426 is a little grabby but once it warms up, it is fine. I just don't want to spend any more $$'s than I need to and definately don't want to purchase the same parts twice.

From what I have read on other posts and this one, the Rekluse is the way to go. (Especially for woods and trails) My clutch hand cramped up beyond belief at the last Hare Scramble I raced. I can only imagine what things would have been like with a Rekluse & can't wait to get one installed...

• biznet1

Posted December 21, 2005 - 08:51 AM

Question on this: I have a stock 00 426 and am eventually going to go with a Rekluse clutch once I have the $$'s. I know there is a fix for the 00 426 clutch by essentially going with new clutch parts from the 01 426. Here is my question:

Should I go ahead and do the 01 clutch Mod, then purchase and install the Rekluse or simply just purchase the Rekluse, a few of the 01 parts and install? The clutch on my 00 426 is a little grabby but once it warms up, it is fine. I just don't want to spend any more $$'s than I need to and definately don't want to purchase the same parts twice.

From what I have read on other posts and this one, the Rekluse is the way to go. (Especially for woods and trails) My clutch hand cramped up beyond belief at the last Hare Scramble I raced. I can only imagine what things would have been like with a Rekluse & can't wait to get one installed...

You definately need to do the 01 mod first. Then buy the rekluse for the 01 instead of the 00. You should buy another basket too.

• 426boy

Posted December 24, 2005 - 04:42 PM

just another question is it giong to make the bike any slower on a hillclimb or anything like that

• biznet1

Posted December 24, 2005 - 06:05 PM

just another question is it giong to make the bike any slower on a hillclimb or anything like that

Definitely not. Probably faster, because it takes the human error out of the lever.

• kawirider

Posted December 24, 2005 - 09:18 PM

What about when your just messing around doing donuts and such?

• ncmountainman

Posted December 25, 2005 - 07:00 AM

What about when your just messing around doing donuts and such?

it makes playin' around alot more fun because you can't look like an idiot when you stall it;because you can't. also the power is sooo much more controllable :applause:

• mbwhitfi

Posted December 25, 2005 - 12:57 PM

How can you NOT stall?

I was riding a nasty rocky trails section thru a creek bed on my 99YZ400F I stalled it 3 times. I'd love to get rid of stalling the bike.

Also looking to trail mod my 400F, gear down, and add the E-line stator for crank weight, and maybe convert to WR exh cam timing.

Any advice or links???

• ncmountainman

Posted December 25, 2005 - 01:31 PM

How can you NOT stall?

a properly jetted bike,with a correctly setup rekluse is just about impossible to stall. you can be wound up in 3rd gear and lock up the back brake without pulling the clutch lever and it won't stall. it's a centrifugal setup that works the clutch;stop and its disengaged,rev past the adjustable engagement point(about 22oo rpm on mine) and it feathers perfectly every time. :applause:

• mbwhitfi

Posted December 25, 2005 - 01:56 PM

Does it disengauge at 2200?

No more 400 Rpm indecisive rock stawling on the YZF.

I do a lot of technical riding. Rocky creek crossings into technical offcamber rt turn hillclimbs and such.

YZF beats the XR in suspension engine brakes and power. Now if I can just make the combo useable.

Sounds like a Rekluse clutch might be part of my solution.

• biznet1

Posted December 25, 2005 - 02:47 PM

You can adjust it to engage and disengage where you want (within reason). Anything beyond it's limits would not be very usable anyway.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.