What does steering stabilizer do?

5 replies to this topic
  • Thumper33

Posted September 01, 2001 - 07:53 PM

I read on another post that the steering stabilizer is a great mod for western states. I'm in Colorado, so what does it do? Is it just like a steering stabilizer on a 4x4 which just limits kickback from the ground?

2000 WR400F - Thumper Racing Exhaust Insert, Throttle stop shortened, Grey Wire Cut, Filter Cover Removed...

Posted September 01, 2001 - 08:13 PM

It helps to stiffen the steering on your bike. It is adjustable so that you can make your steering really light like stock or stiffen it up when riding through rough stuff like rock, roots, ruts, and so on. The advantage is that helps to prevent a sudden jolt or deflection off of a rock or something from yanking your handle bars out of your hands. From what I've heard it is even beneficial to easter woods riders. In the desert where the guys ride a lot faster it is a major asset. I got one and wouldn't want to be without it. Hope this helps, P
P.S. I have the Scotts which is adjustible on the fly while riding.

[This message has been edited by PMAUST (edited September 01, 2001).]

• Thumper33

Posted September 02, 2001 - 07:02 PM

That's exactly what I wanted to know... :)

Thanks! I'll have to look into one.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • robman

Posted September 03, 2001 - 05:03 AM

I've got a gpr and it works great, 1'000 miles in the woods with no trouble.
it's even easier to adujust on the fly!

2000 wr400f ims yz tank, sdg yz seat,gpr stablizer,pro taper bars,p38 ligthning acc pump cover ,acerdis hand guard, fmf power core 4 Q pipe

Posted September 03, 2001 - 05:52 AM

Robman, is right. I like my Scotts alot but there are other brands. Shop around and compare. Good luck, P :)

• Greg_in_Atlanta

Posted September 03, 2001 - 07:34 AM

I agree with the other posts.
The GPR is less expensive ($350 vs $430) and appears to be as good or better than the Scotts unit.
Many racers here in the east use them to help when banging trees, and when in high speed ruts.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.