Someone posted good results from 17-e after 19-e edelbrock needle change

3 replies to this topic
  • J_T

Posted December 18, 2005 - 03:40 PM

I'm speaking about the XR650R Edelbrock QS Carb.

At one time someone posted that they tried the 17-e needle that came with the edelbrock QS carb against the recommendation to use the carb out of the box with the 19-e needle and they were claiming better throttle response with the 17-e over 19-e needle. I would like to know how else the bike was set up?

I am happy with my bike but I ran across the extra needles and I have some down time and thought I'd try it out but thought I'd get a range to see if its something I could benifit from or just a waste?

If you are happy with the 17-e over the 19-e needle will you tell me how your bike is set up and your riding conditions?

Thank you

• J_T

Posted December 20, 2005 - 04:52 AM

I'll keep searching the past post

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Agent2

Posted December 20, 2005 - 08:31 AM

For what it's worth, I believe the Quicksilvers are set up for 1500' elevation. Installed one on a XR400 - ran like crap in the California high desert - 3000' elevation. Luckily changing the needle is real easy (other than accessability), leaned it 1 size - the bike ran great. Loosen the intake & manifold clamps, twist the carb and change the needle, see what happens.

Posted December 20, 2005 - 08:51 AM

XR650L here with stage one cam, ported airbox and big tube header with W/B E series pipe.

16E needle, 3 clicks out from factory location, 1/2 turn out on accelerator pump bypass.

Edelbrock tech support told me the factory setup was for 1500 ft elevation that I may need to go 1 size up in the needle for sea level.

Also said he would send me a stiffer return spring due the throttle hanging up.

Would like to here from others as their setup and mods.

Related Content

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies

What was your path to Beta? by officialhopsof

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Beta
  • Hot  79 replies

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 1 reply

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.