Headlight protection

10 replies to this topic
  • tomwr450f

Posted December 18, 2005 - 12:37 PM

I, need second opinion, about protecting the head light on my WR.

• tmckeown

Posted December 18, 2005 - 01:24 PM

Protecting it how ?

Timo Mc

• Anthony CRF450

Posted December 18, 2005 - 01:49 PM

i had the same dilema so rather than buy a protective plastic cover (that would crack) i chose to cut some 5mm 3m self adhesive clear sticker. this works great and has saved my headlight but best of all it does not require cleaning between the glass lens /protective sticker!!

• Gadsen

Posted December 18, 2005 - 01:53 PM

What Tony said!

• Rich_in_Orlando

Posted December 18, 2005 - 04:23 PM

I use a rock guard I bought at a 4x4 shop. Here's what it looks like:
Posted Image
Posted Image

It's not mounted right now so I just used some safety wire to hold it on for the second picture. Normally, the guard is mounted using zip ties through those holes in the headlight shroud surrounding the headlight opening.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tomwr450f

Posted December 19, 2005 - 01:39 PM

That's what I was thiking about doing my self, with all the rocks here in Washington.

• jwriott

Posted December 19, 2005 - 01:58 PM

I used a piece of 1/8" thick polycarbonate that I cut to the size of the glass. Then I went and got the little white velcro adhesive patches and put 1 in each corner of the bulb and the mating piece on the plastic.

Worked great and it was really nice to be able to remove it and clean the bulb and plastic.

• SJMC_DON

Posted December 19, 2005 - 02:36 PM

Take it all off and put a number plate on :applause: , when you go to sell the bike you'll have a brand new head light assembly.

I did, and then also got an Acerbis DHH, when I need lights I use that instead, weighs less than 1/2 of the stock light, bulbs are extremely cheap and the thing mounts up in about 5 minutes total. Good lights for the money too!

• Matty05

Posted December 19, 2005 - 03:26 PM

Hey Rich, you could cook some steak on that baby when you stop for lunch!

• Rich_in_Orlando

Posted December 19, 2005 - 06:04 PM

Hey Rich, you could cook some steak on that baby when you stop for lunch!

That made me chuckle. Then again, I'm drunk right now!

• Matty05

Posted December 19, 2005 - 07:49 PM

I have seen people use old lenses from their goggles.

I like the velcro and polycarbonate idea, that's what I use!
We have polycarbonate face shields that clip on to our hard hats at work. They are about 1.5mm thick and free.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.