04 WR450 Problems

25 replies to this topic
  • skibum91

Posted December 17, 2005 - 08:09 PM

Hi, I just needed some help and hope somebody could come to my rescue. I've got an 04 WR450 with mods done to it. I was riding it yesterday and everything ran fine, today I went to start it and it was a little flooded, so I held the throttle wide open and it started. Well I let it sit for a few and its idling with the choke on, and after probably 3 mins, I go and shut the choke of and the bike dies. It wont start, and now I'm not getting any spark, and the red light on the on/off switch isn't working. Has anybody experienced that before? And if so, what do you think the problem is.

Heres what done to the bike.

2004 WR450
Electric Start Removed-and all involved components
Yosh Pipe.
Uni Air Filter.
Gray Wire.
Boysen Quick Shot.

Thats about it.

I've been riding it fine for the past year and then all of the sudden just nothing.
I've tested for spark, and nothing.
I tested the stator, it has continuity, the switches- on/off, kill, clutch switch are all funtional.

Does anybody have any help for me? I would greatly appreciate any insight into what I need to do to find out the problem or go about fixing it.

Thank you in advance for any help you may have. :applause:

• 642MX

Posted December 17, 2005 - 08:13 PM

I'm guessing you checked for spark with a new spark plug and not the old plug?

• skibum91

Posted December 17, 2005 - 08:17 PM

I actually check with a spark tester, two different ones at that. And the red light on the on/off switch insn't lighting up like it used to when I kicked it over.

• 642MX

Posted December 17, 2005 - 08:19 PM

I don't have a WR, but if a light doesn't work that did work......It almost sounds like a fuse? Do WR's have fuses?

• dbailey223

Posted December 17, 2005 - 10:17 PM

I'm not a mechanic, but it sounds a little weird that a gas issue (flooding) would end up causing an electrical issue (no spark).

• gregwr450f

Posted December 18, 2005 - 12:41 AM

sounds like a fuse problem to me, unrelated to the flooding issue.

• Beejay

Posted December 18, 2005 - 06:49 AM

Letting it idle with the choke on for 3 min, maybe youv'e carboned up the plug.

The ig light seems like an unrelated fuse or elect short.

• new04450

Posted December 18, 2005 - 07:41 AM

Check all of the connectors under the tank- If the red light is not working- the switch could be shorting- also check your battery. when I did the grey wire mod, The connector was loose enough to run, but when it got warmed up, it would not re start. And if I did happen to get it started warm, it ran like crap.

• Just034

Posted December 18, 2005 - 04:41 PM

That has happend to me, it is the fuse in the fuse box by the battery I bet.

• skibum91

Posted December 18, 2005 - 09:34 PM

I don't have the battery on the bike anymore, nor do I have the starter relay. That stuff hasn't been on the bike for the past year.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • disturbed5155

Posted December 18, 2005 - 10:28 PM

I had a very similar problem but i have an 05 either way there is a fuse box and 3 or 4 fuses.I can almost promis you that thats ur problem please email me for more info

• skibum91

Posted December 19, 2005 - 10:17 AM

The only fuse I knew that was on the bike was the starter realy fuse and that isn't on it anymore. Is there any other fuses that would be on there?

Posted December 19, 2005 - 10:51 AM

It might be the Neutral / Clutch switch, I think the red light on the ignition switch is interlocked........ but how do you get a red light with no battery?

• skibum91

Posted December 19, 2005 - 12:59 PM

Its only when I kick it, the light comes on during the kick.

• Indy_WR450

Posted December 19, 2005 - 01:17 PM

That is normal if you removed the e-start and battery! The red light cant light up without power from the stator! :applause:

• Krisden

Posted December 19, 2005 - 01:25 PM

Allso the key switch's are known to crap them selfs after awhile

• StreetbikePimp

Posted December 19, 2005 - 08:40 PM

Did you remove the regulator/rectifier when the battery and relay was removed?

I have read in a different post, that you can fry this component if you don't have a capacitor in place of the battery.

• snakesausage

Posted December 19, 2005 - 10:17 PM

This happened to my 05’ WR450 just after I picked it up from the dealer. It started fine for the dealer prep but they could not get it started to ride around to load up. It ended up being a pushed connector pin under the seat next to the battery causing intermittent connection. Hope this helps.

• skibum91

Posted December 20, 2005 - 08:07 AM

Did you remove the regulator/rectifier when the battery and relay was removed?

I have read in a different post, that you can fry this component if you don't have a capacitor in place of the battery.

No the regulator rectifier is still in place.

• skibum91

Posted December 21, 2005 - 08:53 AM

I think the neutral switch is bad, will that make the bike not start?

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.