Aluminum Frame WR will be a pain!

34 replies to this topic
  • Indy_WR450

Posted December 17, 2005 - 07:23 PM

Rejetting the new aluminum 06 YZ450 is a real pain! I hope they dont make it to the new WR's if they are going to be this hard to service!

[COLOR=Sienna]YZ forum members are saying:

Putting the subframe back on is a pain in the butt b/c the air box boot that goes on the carb is a PAIN in the butt![/COLOR] :applause: :bonk: :cry:

Posted Image

[COLOR=Sienna]Yeah, just to replace the mains or even replacing the fuel misture screw, you can loosen the clamps and rotate enough.

However, to replace with the Boysen deal, you have to do the subframe and shock. Here's the other fun part - don't connect the top mount of the shock until you get the boot from the airbox onto the carb. It wouldn't go on mine while the shock was bolted on. I had to remove the top bolt and let the shock fall to the rear a bit to re-attach the airbox....

You can get to the needle with no trouble - just take off the tank...

It's cool they make these things small and light, but man, it gets tough to do maintanence. I'm not looking forward to doing valve adjustments in this thing. [/COLOR] :cry:

• PumpkinHumper

Posted December 17, 2005 - 07:59 PM

Welcome to the club. About the same as jetting My Honda. Changing the needle on my X is a nightmare.

• SpeedBlitz

Posted December 19, 2005 - 06:22 AM

Rejetting the new aluminum 06 YZ450 is a real pain! I hope they dont make it to the new WR's if they are going to be this hard to service!

Shouldn't be too bad if if the WR gets EFI, otherwise, I will strongly consider a KTM (525 or 300XC-W), Husaberg or Sherco. The valves shouldn't bee too bad, but then again, I didn't have a close enough look.

• jwriott

Posted December 19, 2005 - 07:39 AM

I think my WR426 had the WORST carb access of any off road bike I've ever owned in my life which is nearly 25 dirt bikes. :applause:

Someone needs to make this easier, not harder. Going back to a 2-stroke has seriously spoiled me. Loosen the clamps, rotate the carb and you have access to the slide or the bottom for jetting.

I hope they make it easier in the near future when I'm ready to buy another thumper.

• PBDBLUE

Posted December 19, 2005 - 07:49 AM

Actually the WR426 is a piece of cake once you know the secret handshake. Now try a DRZ400!

• Indy_WR450

Posted December 19, 2005 - 08:21 AM

Here is what the guys are saying about the new engine oil changes: :applause: :bonk: :cry: :cry: :cry:

[COLOR=Sienna]
ok, I bashed my 2005 CRF 450 for the idiotic things..........
and I'm going to bash on my 2006 YZ 450.......

I just finished changing the oil on my ride..........
&%$#@! was Yamaha thinking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did they hire a Honda Engineer to redesign all the bolts????? To change the oil, you have to use four different sized sockets and a FRIGGIN WRENCH???????????????????????? What the F, not even a socket will fit????
Then to drain the oil with out removing the skid plate, you must lean the bike over on the non side stand side........
42 towels and one hour later, (two 2006 250F & 450F bikes) the oil is changed..........

Air cleaner, typical Yami [/COLOR]

• clark4131

Posted December 19, 2005 - 09:29 AM

God I love my steel framed '05. I'll just keep shoe-horning new engines into it until it dies :applause: ...SC

• BajaFool

Posted December 19, 2005 - 10:08 AM

Ah, the joys of space age technology and the uncontrollable urge to "keep up with the Joneses". Chromalloy frames work just fine thank you --- I love my 2006 WR450F!!! As I pointed out in another thread; after going to an aluminum frame, the 2006 YZ450F is 3 pounds HEAVIER than the 2005 YZ450F it replaced --- can you say Porky? :applause:

• simon@vic

Posted December 19, 2005 - 10:25 AM

Efi , Efi :applause:

• Indy_WR450

Posted December 19, 2005 - 12:21 PM

Efi , Efi :cry:

I feel the same way Simon!!!!!!!!!!! EFI EFI EFI :bonk: :cry: :cry:

Maybe if we all start sending emails to the Yamaha USA marketing department demanding EFI on the WR's we can get noticed by the factory product managers! :applause:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jwriott

Posted December 19, 2005 - 01:59 PM

Maybe if we all start sending emails to the Yamaha USA marketing department demanding EFI on the WR's we can get noticed by the factory product managers! :applause:

Sure. :bonk: :cry: :cry: :cry: :p :lol: :bonk: :bonk: :bonk: :bonk: :bonk: :bonk: :bonk: :bonk: :bonk: :bonk: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :prof: :prof: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :goofy: :goofy: :goofy: :goofy:

• Matty05

Posted December 19, 2005 - 03:42 PM

Ah, the joys of space age technology and the uncontrollable urge to "keep up with the Joneses". Chromalloy frames work just fine thank you --- I love my 2006 WR450F!!! As I pointed out in another thread; after going to an aluminum frame, the 2006 YZ450F is 3 pounds HEAVIER than the 2005 YZ450F it replaced --- can you say Porky? :applause:

Porky??? You are a fool!
The new YZ is what, 30 pounds lighter than your bike!

You know that handling is everything on bikes now days, and the new '06 YZ is lightyears ahead of the '05.

• DPW

Posted December 19, 2005 - 04:44 PM

Here is what the guys are saying about the new engine oil changes: :bonk: :cry: :cry: :cry: :p

[COLOR=Sienna]
ok, I bashed my 2005 CRF 450 for the idiotic things..........
and I'm going to bash on my 2006 YZ 450.......

I just finished changing the oil on my ride..........
&%$#@! was Yamaha thinking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did they hire a Honda Engineer to redesign all the bolts????? To change the oil, you have to use four different sized sockets and a FRIGGIN WRENCH???????????????????????? What the F, not even a socket will fit????
Then to drain the oil with out removing the skid plate, you must lean the bike over on the non side stand side........
42 towels and one hour later, (two 2006 250F & 450F bikes) the oil is changed..........

Air cleaner, typical Yami [/COLOR]

Who whined about the oil change? Geez they have a brand new 2006 YZ450F and 250F and they are complaining about changing the oil. This person would probably complain about free beer.... :applause:

Four tools...no tougher than old 450/426

• JSanfilippo

Posted December 19, 2005 - 05:25 PM

I dunno, I had to take the sub frame and air box off my ttr when my friend and I rejetted it and even though it took 45 min I didn't mind because the end result was worth it. I can tolorate taking a bit more time to re-jet a WR.

• simon@vic

Posted December 19, 2005 - 07:30 PM

i have tried that regarding a 6 speed transmission. every time i get a lame response that looks like it was copied and pasted form a generic response list :bonk: :cry: :cry:

i don't think the guys who read the english emails have much push/sway at the top!!! if they even care.
efi is coming.... all the hate or love mail we send wont make it come any faster or slower. i believe this to be a sad but true fact.

maybe if they got 10 000+ emails the might give us a 6 speed. but there are not 10 000 people the care about another gear.......

• TWILES

Posted December 20, 2005 - 08:45 AM

I would love to see EFI on these bikes. The new Suzuki Quadracer 450 has it. I saw a thing in DirtRider showing a picture of a YZ in Japan with EFI. HURRY UP!!!!

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted December 20, 2005 - 08:54 AM

Who whined about the oil change? Geez they have a brand new 2006 YZ450F and 250F and they are complaining about changing the oil. This person would probably complain about free beer.... :applause:

Four tools...no tougher than old 450/426

DPW, those guys should stick to golf............ :bonk:

• BajaFool

Posted December 20, 2005 - 12:39 PM

Matty05,
I'll just ignore your opening sentence for now. The point of my comment was that everyone thinks that aluminum frames are the greatest thing. Well we are seeing that aluminum frames don't reduce weight, unnecessarily increase the difficultly of maintenance, generally are believed to be too stiff for offroad riding, cause the price of motorcycles to increase, and can't be straightened or welded (that means buy a new frame when the bike gets tweaked in a get off). Lastly, it is certainly a revelation to me, as it will no doubt be to others, that the 2005 YZ450F was an ill-handling dinosaur that has finally been transformed into a winner with the incorporation of an aluminum frame into the design.

• Indy_WR450

Posted December 20, 2005 - 02:07 PM

Ditto BajaFool! :cry: :cry: :p

People forget that the 05 YZ forks had huge issues and some of my ridding buddies tossed them for the 46mm forks that worked! :lol: :bonk: :bonk:

I would love to see a chrome moly perimeter frame with the right amount of flex for off roading and the ability to maintain the current service ability levels. :applause: :bonk: :cry:

• TWILES

Posted December 20, 2005 - 08:27 PM

When I raced MX on 4-wheelers, I liked a frame that had as little flex as possible. It makes cornering more precise. It was hard to power through corners when the frame flexed because the steering would change with the frame. With a strong chromoly frame I could aim the bike and nail it and know where it was going. Landing big or high speed jumps was the same. The best suspension won't help a cheep frame because when you land the bike will still shutter. I do agree with Indy Wr450. I would rather have a supper strong chromoly frame over a bulky aluminum one.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.