Rekluse installed today

10 replies to this topic
  • yamwr426

Posted December 17, 2005 - 07:21 PM

I installed the Rekluse auto clutch today on the 426 with the external perch adjuster. I used the light spring per the instructions and riding it behind the house it feels good. I would like to know what difference the heavy spring would make. I know some of you are using the heavy spring for woods riding.

I am also noticing some very slight surging when I stop (very, very light). No big deal as long as it is not going to damage anything. I moved the perch adjuster around to see what would happen and I did not notice anything, is this normal with the light spring? I think that I need to get out and ride as it is very hard to tell anything around the house. I can tell you that I can lock the rear wheel and get right back on it and it performs perfectly, no stalling or hesitation. This this is going to be cool. Any thoughts. Thanks. :applause: :bonk:

• 642MX

Posted December 17, 2005 - 08:08 PM

The heavy spring works just like the light spring, except your RPM's will be about 500-1000 more when the clutch engages. Real aggressive riders use this set-up. When I trail ride I use my light spring, but when I race a hare scramble I use the heavy. The surgings normal, I'm suprised its not creeping more. Be sure to check your installed gap after a short ride, most of the time you will have to add another Rekluse plate. After the clutch breaks in you won't have to check the gap very often, I check mine about 2 times a year. Also, If your running synthetic oil you will want to dump that and jump on the Rotella or Delo bandwagon. Rekluse says those oils will extend the life of the fibers and make the clutch operate smoother. I didn't mean to write a book here, but I've had my Rekluse for a while and I have a pretty good understanding of it.

Enjoy your clutch and say good-bye to arm pump.

• yamwr426

Posted December 17, 2005 - 09:01 PM

The heavy spring works just like the light spring, except your RPM's will be about 500-1000 more when the clutch engages. Real aggressive riders use this set-up. When I trail ride I use my light spring, but when I race a hare scramble I use the heavy. The surgings normal, I'm suprised its not creeping more. Be sure to check your installed gap after a short ride, most of the time you will have to add another Rekluse plate. After the clutch breaks in you won't have to check the gap very often, I check mine about 2 times a year. Also, If your running synthetic oil you will want to dump that and jump on the Rotella or Delo bandwagon. Rekluse says those oils will extend the life of the fibers and make the clutch operate smoother. I didn't mean to write a book here, but I've had my Rekluse for a while and I have a pretty good understanding of it.

Enjoy your clutch and say good-bye to arm pump.

Thanks a bunch 642 for your help. I can't wait to get this thing in the woods.

• dustmaker

Posted December 17, 2005 - 10:15 PM

i have a rekluse and i love it!! i just installed the rear brake lever on my left handlebar today, and i am pumped to get ou and ride. i eliminated the overide and just used the spring on the motor. i don't miss my clutch one bit,and as soon as my shock is done being rebuilt i am on it wided open. what is this about rotella or delo, is this a type of oil? i use bel ray 20/50 myself.

• byggd

Posted December 18, 2005 - 04:09 AM

As 642 said the surging is normal, especially if you have the idle set a little high. I have one on my 02 wr426 and I didn't like the way it felt with the light spring so I switched to the heavy one (at the advise of indy and ncmtman) and I like it much better. It's probably because I ride a lot of tight trails and I wanted it to engage a little later plus the surging went away with the heavy spring. :applause:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 642MX

Posted December 18, 2005 - 09:25 AM

i have a rekluse and i love it!! i just installed the rear brake lever on my left handlebar today, and i am pumped to get ou and ride. i eliminated the overide and just used the spring on the motor. i don't miss my clutch one bit,and as soon as my shock is done being rebuilt i am on it wided open. what is this about rotella or delo, is this a type of oil? i use bel ray 20/50 myself.

I used to run Motorex 10W50 synthetic in mine, and I had no troubles. I happened to have the light spring rust in half a while back so I called Rekluse to get another one, while I was on the phone I was picking the guy's brain on how to make the clutch work the best and so forth. He told me that if I ran Shell Rotella 15W40 or Delo, I would notice a more positive engagement of the clutch. So I ran to Walmart and bought a gallon of it, changed the oil and was really surprised how much better and smoother the clutch did work. I changed oil in my fiancee's YZ250F (Rekluse equipt) and had the same results. Those guys at Rekluse are awesome, they even sent the new spring (that rusted in half) to me free of charge, even the shipping was free! I can't say enough about my clutch and the guys at Rekluse. :applause:

• mikie

Posted December 18, 2005 - 09:53 AM

With a Rukluse clutch you loose your clutch perch totally? In technical areas where you want a small burst of power, like wheelie over creek/rock/hole, do you just goose it? What about shifting? :applause:

Sorry to jack the thread, but I'm in the dark. But that way you guys are talking, the Rukluse sounds pretty sweet.

• yamwr426

Posted December 18, 2005 - 09:55 AM

I used to run Motorex 10W50 synthetic in mine, and I had no troubles. I happened to have the light spring rust in half a while back so I called Rekluse to get another one, while I was on the phone I was picking the guy's brain on how to make the clutch work the best and so forth. He told me that if I ran Shell Rotella 15W40 or Delo, I would notice a more positive engagement of the clutch. So I ran to Walmart and bought a gallon of it, changed the oil and was really surprised how much better and smoother the clutch did work. I changed oil in my fiancee's YZ250F (Rekluse equipt) and had the same results. Those guys at Rekluse are awesome, they even sent the new spring (that rusted in half) to me free of charge, even the shipping was free! I can't say enough about my clutch and the guys at Rekluse. :applause:

I am currently running the Motorex 15W50 semi Syn and the clutch seems good. I also heard that the Delo and Rotella were great with the clutch operation but it will be hard for me to change as I have been riding for years without any major engine failures on the Motorex. However I would like to change if someone could convenience me otherwise as it would be a lot cheaper too. Thanks for all your help.

• yamwr426

Posted December 18, 2005 - 09:58 AM

With a Rukluse clutch you loose your clutch perch totally? In technical areas where you want a small burst of power, like wheelie over creek/rock/hole, do you just goose it? What about shifting? :applause:

Sorry to jack the thread, but I'm in the dark. But that way you guys are talking, the Rukluse sounds pretty sweet.

I still have my perch and clutch. All you have to do is purchase the perch adjuster and the clutch still works just like it did before Rekluse.

• byggd

Posted December 18, 2005 - 11:03 AM

I still have my perch and clutch. All you have to do is purchase the perch adjuster and the clutch still works just like it did before Rekluse.

It will feel like the clutch is broken at idle (little to no resistance) But you it will get tension with some RPMs and it pulls in WAY easier! Well worth the $$ :applause:

• 642MX

Posted December 18, 2005 - 11:05 AM

I am currently running the Motorex 15W50 semi Syn and the clutch seems good. I also heard that the Delo and Rotella were great with the clutch operation but it will be hard for me to change as I have been riding for years without any major engine failures on the Motorex. However I would like to change if someone could convenience me otherwise as it would be a lot cheaper too. Thanks for all your help.

I bought my 2002 426 in December of 2001. I ran Yamalube for the first month and then switched to Motorex. I have never had a engine failure with Motorex too, it was very hard to change to a dino oil after running that synthetic for so long. But the guys at Rekluse assured me that I would not have any engine failures from Rotella. They said they have experimented with all oils and found the diesel oils to hold up the best and operate the clutch the smoothest. They also said that clamping pressure (of the clutch pack) with a standard (spring) clutch is different than an auto clutch (ball and ramp style) that was the big reason not to run a synthetic (even though some synthetics are safe for wet clutches) simply because the synthetic is slicker and will not allow the clutch to engage as it should. Thats my reasoning. I hope that makes sense? I've been using Rotella for 6 months now and its working great.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.