YZ 450 Neutral Safety switch ????

1 reply to this topic
  • snowboardstylee

Posted December 17, 2005 - 06:26 PM

SO do dirtbikes have a neutral safety switch?

I changed my skid plate tonight, went to take my bike for a quick ride around the block (going riding in the morning) and i get on start it up in neutral warm up a bit pull in the clutch, .. put in gear and the bike shut off. . .

I started it again . . . put it in gear and it shut off again.. so im looking around looing around for wires that go into the gear box..

I know that street bikes have a safety switch that wont alow you to go into gear with the side stand down. soon as you put it in gear it will shut off.

so im lookin lookin and dont see anything..

so i take the skid plate off. and start it up and it doesnt shut off this time.. what the hell is going on. so i bolt the skid plate back on, start it up , put in gear and it stays running....... IM clueless..

anyone want to tackle this one.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted December 17, 2005 - 07:06 PM

The function of the neutral switch on the YZF is twofold. First, it sets the rev limit to 7000 or so instead of 11,500. Next, it changes the timing map to make the bike easier to start. Otherwise, it can be (and has been) disconnected without affecting the way the bike runs in any way, other than starting and idling in neutral. If you were to short this lead, the result would be that the CDI would think you were always in neutral, and your bike would hit the rev limit just about the time it started to pull really well, but it would run nevertheless.

Your problem may have been just one of the clutch plates sticking together, and the removal and reinstallation of the skid plate only a coincidence.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.