A bit concerned

5 replies to this topic
  • alfie

Posted December 17, 2005 - 12:31 PM

Ive recently bought an 01 wr 426 and the previous owner had the engine rebuilt. But it it looks like he never botherd to change the oil,and it was really black and very metallic. the oil filter was fairly choked up with metal fillings as well. So i also cleaned out the oil filter in the frame just to make sure, and nothing much was found there. Have any of you guys ran flushing oil in there motors or is this a bad idea?. Or should i keep flushing it with cheap motor oil . The motor has about 4.5 hrs use on it according to the previous owner.

Any feed back welcome.

• SJMC_DON

Posted December 17, 2005 - 12:44 PM

I would consider it normal to see what you are seeing on the first oil change after a rebuild, especially if the scope incuded more than just top end work.

I would just keep using good oil with changes after every ride till it starts looking good.......... Do not use cheap oil to flush, I did this once because I pulled a bunch of water in through the crank case vent :bonk: (re-routed that into airbox :applause: ) Anyway, the oil I used had friction additives and it totally screwed up my clutch operation...... I ended up taking the clutch components apart, cleaned them up and installed new plates. Lesson learned.....

Anyway, like I said, give it a few more oil changes, before you really start to worry :cry:

• 642MX

Posted December 17, 2005 - 02:55 PM

Dark oil is normal if its dino oil, synthetics look 10 times as clean when you drain them. Change your oil every 2 rides and replace or clean the oil filter also. And use a good oil; dino oils, like Shell Rotella and Chevron Delo are good and synthetics like Motorex and Amsoil are good also.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • drewpeacock

Posted December 17, 2005 - 03:47 PM

Hold on, if the motor was rebuilt do to catastrophic engine failure you will need to clean out the frame to get the metal shavings out of that area if that was not already done. :applause:

• alfie

Posted December 18, 2005 - 11:16 AM

Right thanks guys, Ive had my first ride out on it today and the bike runs great , but i did notice a lot of popping and misfiring when letting off. Is this normal on 426's as my old 400 never did it. And the weather here today was hardly above freezing,so would that have a severe affect on the jetting?.
Once again thanks for your help.

• dman450f

Posted December 18, 2005 - 12:36 PM

Right thanks guys, Ive had my first ride out on it today and the bike runs great , but i did notice a lot of popping and misfiring when letting off. Is this normal on 426's as my old 400 never did it. And the weather here today was hardly above freezing,so would that have a severe affect on the jetting?.
Once again thanks for your help.

The cold weather will surely make the bike run like crap....if you dont jet for it... :applause:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.