idle prob..yz450

11 replies to this topic
  • new2blue450

Posted December 16, 2005 - 08:18 PM

okay YZ gods, got a question(again). i went out for a ride today and after about 2-1/2 hours when i let off the throttle, it would go down in rpms, but not back down to idle. (idled very high). if i put it in gear and let the clutch out enough to slow the engine, then let off it would idle normally. is wrong?? thanks guys.

• Butta

Posted December 16, 2005 - 08:54 PM

Have you adjusted the fuel screw for the colder temps? A lean condition (I believe) could cause a hanging idle....

Where's Gray when you need him? :applause:

• new2blue450

Posted December 16, 2005 - 10:38 PM

yes, i installed the zip-ty.......not the prob...

• ovrrdrive

Posted December 17, 2005 - 05:15 AM

sounds lean to me...

If you're sure you have the right size jets in there, give the carb a good cleaning out.

• sirthumpalot

Posted December 17, 2005 - 05:35 AM

You might have gotten some goop in the pilot jet or other small orifice. Give it a good cleaning; carb cleaner and compressed air.

• Butta

Posted December 17, 2005 - 08:33 AM

Check the carb boots to ensure a tight fit. Make sure the hot start isn't sticking, as well. Other than that, it might be dirty inside like said before....how old is the fuel?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • new2blue450

Posted December 17, 2005 - 10:10 AM

it may be the hot start sticking, out of all the options that sounds the most likely...

• ovrrdrive

Posted December 17, 2005 - 02:23 PM

it may be the hot start sticking, out of all the options that sounds the most likely...

I thought that at first too, but when he said that it happened after a few hours of riding that pretty much makes that not the cause.

• Kermit22

Posted December 17, 2005 - 05:55 PM

Just go back from riding and was about to post the same thing...after a few hours mine was idling high too...after a little bit it would idle back down.
Wondering if it isn't something to do with colder weather..Just richened up the carb..well the main jet anyway...pulled the plug tonight and it is showing perfect..barely any brown...checked my valve clearances and they are all in there....? I did mess with my fuel screw yesterday but why would it only do this after it has been run for awhile?

• grayracer513

Posted December 17, 2005 - 06:15 PM

Falling temps will cause lean idle mixtures, so if you're in that sort of weather, that's where you should start. Back the idle screw out a little, the problem may go away. If not, round up the usual suspects for other causes of lean idle (air leaks, etc.,), but don't get too carried away chasing lean mixture ghosts until after you've checked for tight intake valves. They're a common cause of "hanging" idle in the smaller YZF's, so it's worth a look.

• Kermit22

Posted December 17, 2005 - 08:11 PM

Sounds good.......i guess i'll back out my screw a little because i checked my valves today and they were all in spec....plus last week when i got the bike back together from rebuilding it that is one thing i did was go through the carb so i was pretty sure there wasn't anything in the carb.
However the gas i had was only about two weeks old...would bad gas be a culprit...seems to me like bad gas would just make it run bad throughout throttle range, not just idle...but i don't know.

• new2blue450

Posted December 18, 2005 - 07:16 PM

well, i messed with my idle and fuel screw.....it stopped for about 45-60 seconds, then started again......HELP!!!!!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.